wunderlong88's Content

There have been 10 items by wunderlong88 (Search limited from 31-October 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#75716 FTM user trying to decide what software to use

Posted by wunderlong88 on 13 December 2015 - 08:43 AM in Discussion

I don't care that much if my tree syncs with Ancestry.  I'm not paying for Ancestry and keep it private.  I just had it on their for relatives.

I do care about FTM's book publishing capabilities which I'm sure the program will work for many years but I know ultimately I need to find another solution.

#75693 Reports and Publishing

Posted by wunderlong88 on 12 December 2015 - 01:02 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

With the discontinuation of FTM I am hopeful to find a program that will do comparable book publishing and am seriously considering RM.  I downloaded essentials and RM looks like what I want but I am going to have to export to FTM to get the reports/book publishing to do what I want.  

Here is an example of some of the pages I can make in FTM and hope to find in RM someday:

1. Text pages that will allow you to paste in images

2. Cleaner looking family group sheets (fewer lines/boxes)

3. More reports that allow images - such as the pedigree chart having a thumbnail image of each person

4. Something similiar to FTM's smart stories - where you can type your own information but you can import fields/people into the story so that if you update that field in the data it will update in your story.

Sample of some of these:

http://ge.tt/950yFXT2/v/0

Thank you!

Linda

#75692 Signature test

Posted by wunderlong88 on 12 December 2015 - 12:53 PM in General Messages

Just testing to see if my sig shows up now.

#75689 FTM user trying to decide what software to use

Posted by wunderlong88 on 12 December 2015 - 12:00 PM in Discussion

Wonder how this would work?

1. Purchase RM, import my gedcom and use it for my research.

2. When I need a current pdf of my book, export the RM gedcom import to FTM.

3. Publish book.

4. Keep using RM and repeat when necessary.

I wonder how well FTM would receive the gedcom data?  I wonder if I would have a lot of errors to fix each time I did this (in which case it is a bad idea) or if it would be fine as is?  I haven't really looked too carefully at how well RM received my gedcom.  Didn't want to spend too much time on that yet.  I did notice it doesn't seem to know which photo is the photo I want displayed for each individual. I fixed one but wondered why it lost this info.  It looks like it received my sources and their media files fine (which I was really concerned about) and that the media is their for each person (just not displaying the one as mentioned).  I haven't tried to import back to FTM out of RM to see how that works.

This might be a fix though, as long as FTM runs on my system or until RM publishing capabilities meet my needs.

Of course this makes me wonder why change at all - except that I would like to sync with Family Search trees online - I thought RM did that?

#75684 FTM user trying to decide what software to use

Posted by wunderlong88 on 12 December 2015 - 11:36 AM in Discussion

Thank you! 

#75682 FTM user trying to decide what software to use

Posted by wunderlong88 on 12 December 2015 - 11:22 AM in Discussion

I assume that "Publisher" (which is disabled in my trial version) is just a place where you can create a book of the various reports available in RM?

I may just have to wait and see what a future version of RM has to offer in the reports/books options.  In the little bit I've looked at RM I am happy with the family history data portions fo the program.  I haven't looked at it deeply but it looks promising.

#75675 FTM user trying to decide what software to use

Posted by wunderlong88 on 12 December 2015 - 10:45 AM in Discussion

For some reason my upload didn't work - here is the new link.

http://ge.tt/950yFXT2?c

#75673 FTM user trying to decide what software to use

Posted by wunderlong88 on 12 December 2015 - 10:27 AM in Discussion

I thought I'd show you a sample portion of one of my books from FTM.   Of course my book includes many descendant reports and such but I only included a few pages to show some of the things I would like to be able to do.

http://ge.tt/950yFXT2/v/0?c (edit: this link doesn't work - use this one - http://ge.tt/950yFXT2?c

I've been looking at both Rootsmagic and Legacy 8 and I don't doubt for a moment they both do more than enough when it comes to recording my family history.  But for me I need to produce a book that looks clean and nice.  In looking at both RM and Legacy8 (both in trial versions) I'm not satisfied that either will allow me to make reports like I want.  I know some features are disabled and I may find that I can do more than I anticipate with a full version.  I know both are cheap and some say just buy both but I am not in a position to spend money on a program I won't be using.  I want to be able to produce the book without much effort when I make additions to my family tree/history.

I looked at the family group sheet in both RM and Legacy 8.  Neither looked like they would produce the clean look of the one I have in my pdf. 

Also, I think the pedigree chart background and having pics of each person makes it nice to look at.

And I need to be able to make pages such as you see in this book: Chicago Fire, Castle Garden Immigration, etc. - these are not connected to any person.  In FTM you can make a text page and copy and paste pictures onto it.

I do have to say that I like the cleaner, less complicated feel of Rootsmagic but I feel like Legacy will be closer to what I need for book publishing.

I do appreciate your patience and kindness in talking to me about these things.  I know FTM will probably work for many years and maybe I just need to be patient and see what comes down the road.  I just don't want to put a lot more effort into something I know I will have to totally redo when I move to another program (the books) The family history portion at first glance seems to have imported fairly well.

Thank you again!

Linda

#75600 Book publishing questions

Posted by wunderlong88 on 09 December 2015 - 06:18 PM in Discussion

Ok...so can I export to pdf or would I have to put the rtf in another program (I have open office) to do that?

Also, I am not clear what you are saying in #3.  Are you saying the a page created in MS Word will go into the file on the blank page electronically.  Or does the blank page just hold the place so that I can insert a physical page printed in MS word into that location in a physical book?

BTW, do you know of another piece of software that would work with RM that is just for publishing family tree history books.  Maybe this is what I should be looking for?

TY!

#75593 Book publishing questions

Posted by wunderlong88 on 09 December 2015 - 04:58 PM in Discussion

I am trying to decide whether to go with Rootsmagic or Legacy Family Tree as I am one of the many who were using FTM and have to find another solution.

The main factors in deciding for me will probably be related to the reports and book publishing options.  I've downloaded the free Rootsmagic but much of this is disabled.  I've watched some videos but still lack answers to some of my concerns.

1. Is there anything comparable to FTM's smart stories in RM?

2. In the text report can I insert pictures? If not is there a report where I can basically type a few paragraphs of information with at least some basic formatting options (font, font size, center or left alignment) and also add a few photos that I can size/resize as I want.

3. Can I make a report, save it, and then add it to a book? (FTM does not doe this)  I would like to be able to take the saved report make a few changes to it and save it as another report, thus creating two reports.

I have two books that I created in FTM.  I spent a lot of time on these creating many pages that have historical information and photos - such as specific battles in the Civil War or American Revolution, historic buildings or events and brief history of them along with them.  I am very unhappy to have to start over at all with these but I want to make sure I get a program that will do what I want.  

A few years ago I was using Legacy 7 and it would not let me make a text report and put photos or even change the font.  Seems kind of basic to me.  The genealogy reports and charts are fine (probably ok in RM, too) but I need to be able to make pages as I previously disussed.  I dont' really want to make them in another program and insert them later as this is fiddly and more steps.  I need to be able to export the entire thing as a pdf, indexed with page numbers.

Just a quick perusal of RM looks good but I really need to be able to do #2 at bare minimum, #1 and #3 are not necessary but would be helpful.

TY!

Linda