Pierson101's Content

There have been 11 items by Pierson101 (Search limited from 23-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#82961 RootsMagic 7 not accepting a new Family Tree 2014.1 File

Posted by Pierson101 on 04 April 2017 - 11:58 PM in Issues

I've had an issue with FTM14.1 for months that they can't/won't resolve. Ancestry keeps moving software around and that doesn't help. I'm hoping that once things get settle that RM will work with Ancestry and I can use it.

All things equal I prefer RM but can't use it until it can interface with Ancestry.

So, no good solutions at this point but things should settle out in a few months...I hope.

So, all we can do is be patient and wait for a winner to settle out of this mess. JMO

#82420 RootsMagic 7 not accepting a new Family Tree 2014.1 File

Posted by Pierson101 on 07 February 2017 - 06:01 PM in Issues

Thanks Bob and I agree. FTM unfortunately does have a history of "protectionism" in the form of not allowing backward compatibility. I certainly don't have any allegiance to them except for simplifying my genealogy work.

Maybe enough complaints to them might change things...I will do that.

All things equal I prefer RM, but I try to keep the research and genealogy simplified as much as I can. Already too many things that I have to jump through. GenSmarts won't work with FTM 14.1 so to use it I have to get it into RM and then import it from there. FTM does have a 'Family Book Creator" (not the one in FTM) and that helps a lot in making books and reports. I've tried the "Personal Historian," but again another step.

Sure would be nice to have just one program do it all, but guess we aren't there yet.

Thanks again fr the observations.

#82418 RootsMagic 7 not accepting a new Family Tree 2014.1 File

Posted by Pierson101 on 07 February 2017 - 04:21 PM in Issues

I should have been clearer. I want to know if RM will be upgraded to allow the importing of the updated FTM versions. If not, then I'll just stick with the FTM since it doesn't make sense to do a "work around" when it isn't necessary.

Old fashion I guess, but if I pay for software I expect it to work.

#82416 RootsMagic 7 not accepting a new Family Tree 2014.1 File

Posted by Pierson101 on 07 February 2017 - 01:42 PM in Issues

Yes, I can't import from FTM 14.1 either a backup file or a saved file which makes RM kind of useless. A clunky solution of using FTM 2012 or FTM 2014 doesn't make a lot of sense.

Is there a plan to update RM or just forget about it?

#81130 Adding pictures in RM 7 books

Posted by Pierson101 on 12 October 2016 - 05:09 PM in Discussion

Thanks Jerry and Renee. Yes, I'm into the RM publisher and rather new at it. I think a lot of my stumbling is because I have used other programs and it appears that RM is lacking in some of those. In FTM and even Personal Historian you can drop images in where ever, and apparently limited to the gallery in RM.

Didn't know about the rewrite and that would be good to include the insertion of images and also a word processor...even bare bones like FTM or Personal Historian.

It seems that by using many programs you can do what is needed to publish/create a nice genealogy book. However it would really be nice to have everything integrated into one nice program. I use Scrivener for my historical writing and it does an excellent job...even compiling for ebooks. However it doesn't have any genealogy features. :)

Anyway, thanks and I think I now have a good enough handle on RM now and the lack of image insertion and a word processor makes it not my first choice. :(

#81126 Adding pictures in RM 7 books

Posted by Pierson101 on 12 October 2016 - 03:26 PM in Discussion

Thanks a lot Renee and the problem is that I didn't select the media tag for the person...obvious oversight on my end.  :(

Now that is solved, is there a way to paste a picture in the RM book without a photo album? Meaning if I have some written text and want to put a photo within that page...can I do that?

Apologies to Zhangrau for not understanding what he meant the first time. :(  :(

#81118 Adding pictures in RM 7 books

Posted by Pierson101 on 12 October 2016 - 06:14 AM in Discussion

Well, I still don't see how to get the images into the scrapbook, book.  :( Obviously I'm missing the basics but it should be intuitive.

I've spent too much time as it is and I'll just have to use my old way with FTM, Scrivener, and Page Plus. At least they make sense. :) I'll Just dump the RM since I don't really need it anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions.

LAter, Bill

#81114 Adding pictures in RM 7 books

Posted by Pierson101 on 11 October 2016 - 10:55 PM in Discussion

Thanks and I did view the YouTube videos on RM, but didn't see anything helpful about the photos. I did read about importing the FTM into RM a year or so ago when Ancestry broke with FTM...which is the reason I'd like to do everything in RM.

I will look again at the links you have suggested...thanks. I might have missed something.

I really would like to have one place to write the genealogy material, rather than jumping from program to program.

I will post any positive results in case others might have the same comprehension problem I do. :)

#81111 Adding pictures in RM 7 books

Posted by Pierson101 on 11 October 2016 - 08:07 PM in Discussion

I can't figure it out and just might have to go back to my old way. I really see the advantage of using the RM though. I imported the FTM data again and lost the RM book I was playing with (not a problem), but still can't get any photographs into the scrap book.  :(

#81110 Adding pictures in RM 7 books

Posted by Pierson101 on 11 October 2016 - 07:09 PM in Discussion

Guess I'm not sure. The RM program has the imported information/pictures/etc. from FTM. SO aren't all the images/sources/media imported when I import from the FTM program?

I played around and it does look like I don't have the images displayed in RM. I'm new to RM and need to know how do I get the images/sources from FTM into RM. The help file didn't give me the answer. :)

Thanks,

Bill

#81108 Adding pictures in RM 7 books

Posted by Pierson101 on 11 October 2016 - 06:22 PM in Discussion

How can pictures be added in a RM created book? I see a scrap book function but can't get any pictures to show up in it.

Thanks,

Bill