fitz's Content

There have been 12 items by fitz (Search limited from 16-November 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#88659 name change

Posted by fitz on 14 March 2018 - 04:22 AM in Discussion

Thank you. Had to read and reread but think even I now understand.

#88638 name change

Posted by fitz on 13 March 2018 - 12:38 PM in Discussion

Thanks.  I just discovered a few days ago that TMG gave me a drop down menu with choice of alternate names to use for fact but don't know effect on sources, etc. I usually transcribe in source detail all the information from souce and I put in bold any slight difference in name.  I use a general note for major differences with explanatory sentence so I really haven't had a problem before. But I don't gedcom or do trees, etc. 

#88627 name change

Posted by fitz on 13 March 2018 - 04:06 AM in Discussion

Thank you.  I will have to go with alternate name to get both names in index and will copy sentence from name change fact that it is legal name change.

#88566 name change

Posted by fitz on 10 March 2018 - 12:26 PM in Discussion

Only 1 name shows in index.  Is there a way to have both names in index?  If I do alternate name both names show.  In TMG when I did change of name I then had a choice of name for marriage and both names showed in index.  Is there any way to have choice of which name to use.  Thank you.

#88515 adopted child

Posted by fitz on 07 March 2018 - 06:00 AM in Discussion

Thank you.

#88514 name change

Posted by fitz on 07 March 2018 - 05:59 AM in Discussion

Thank you.  Yes I started out in TMG.  I guess I will have to go with adopted name as that is most important to me and will have to do something with fact in birth family information.

#88512 name change

Posted by fitz on 07 March 2018 - 05:27 AM in Discussion

I would like to do a name change for an adoption.  If I put in birth name then do a name change to adopted name, at child's marriage the name is still birth name when it should be new name.  If I put in new name it is wrong name at birth.  Also on fact screen for sentence it says [N] and I am not sure where to put new name; tried note and it doesn't seem to work.  Since I have birth parents and birth date inserted and have marriage and all child's children, I need name to change as of a certain date.

Thanks

#88501 adopted child

Posted by fitz on 06 March 2018 - 07:50 AM in Discussion

I have a woman who married and had child and divorced.  She then married again and new husband adopted her child and they then had 2 more children.  I had put in child with parents and then added adopted father.  I did not put in mother as she was already listed as his mother I thought.  I ended up with unknown as a mother and adopted father as having 2 wives one being unknown. I eventually eliminated unknown after several tries.  I have the mother now listed as having 2 husbands and 1 child by first and 3 children by the second who is adopted father of one child.  So there is duplication of child which I suppose is correct as child was  actually part of 2 families.  On child's timeline child is listed as having 2 sets of parents. Is this correct and will it be correct in reports?  Or is there a better way of doing it?

Just noticed it looks as if for second marriage he is adopted by both parents and should be only adopted by father.

Thanks

#83537 short footnote double bar

Posted by fitz on 29 May 2017 - 08:11 AM in Discussion

Thank you.  Found it.  Didn't look like a bar.

#83524 short footnote double bar

Posted by fitz on 29 May 2017 - 04:50 AM in Discussion

I have a simple question on making a double bar.  On source "book, general (authors known)" for short footnote it says to use double bar.  How do I make a double bar, I tried using the l/L key but it didn't work.  Thank you.

#83477 adding child with mother's name blank

Posted by fitz on 24 May 2017 - 04:18 AM in Discussion

Thank you so much.  Deleting the mother worked.  I plan to put in note something to effect that Joan may have been mother of all his children and then list children for narrative report.  I also usually add unknown but in this case the will is probably all I will every have as this is from article in Journal and author was using parish records in England in late 1500's and will.

#83459 adding child with mother's name blank

Posted by fitz on 23 May 2017 - 05:58 AM in Discussion

How do I add a child with father's name only and no mother's name?  I have a will with a wife listed as Joan and 9 children listed.  Is Joan the mother of all the children or just some or just one, don't know?  If I add father as a person and then Joan as spouse, Joan is listed as mother which may or may not be correct.  If I add father and then a child then unknown is listed as mother and then if I add Joan then he is listed as having 2 spouses which may or may not be correct.  He may have had more wives.  I need to add children without listing mother.  Thank you.