genealogy4primm@earthlink.'s Content

There have been 3 items by genealogy4primm@earthlink. (Search limited from 08-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#91430 Access Violation when comparing databases

Posted by genealogy4primm@earthlink. on 23 October 2018 - 09:24 PM in Issues

Won't be hardware, as it is the same on three independent systems with two very different operating system versions.  Software somewhere (bug in exe, something in the database it doesn't like?).  Must admit, it's not a great start with RootsMagic - Family Historian runs flawlessly on all my systems, and even Family Tree Maker only crashed now and again!!!  

Just out of curiosity, I imported an old backup copy of the database as it was saved within Family Tree Maker 2012 when I was still using that as my main program.  I saved the database as a RootsMagic file, closed RM, and made a Windows copy of the database file (so content should have been identical).  When I loaded one and compared it with the other, the comparison ran to completion ok, but reported a couple of dozen individuals with apparent differences!  I don't understand that at all.......

1) Access violation could be related to AV, Firewall, or Anti-Malware software not allowing RM the 'access' it needs. Could also be a hardware driver that is causing issues, including RAM memory, cache memory, failing hard drive. Some things that have worked in the past for others:
-Set RM program to be "Run as Administrator"
-Set exceptions to allow RM to access the various web services for the AV, firewall, and anti-Malware, if any of those are installed and said RM web services are enabled.
-Place the database file on the same hard drive as the OS (typically C:\ drive) in the C:\Users\(username)\MyDocuments folder if not already using the main hard drive. The read-write speed of older computer when using multiple or external hard drives might be causing a latency issue (time out) resulting in the access violation. Same would go for using a USB/memory stick as the 'device' to load the database from. RM performs better if database file changes do not have to navigate the buss and motherboard to hard drive and another device then back again.
-Make a new GEDCOM file from Family Historian (if possible). When Import of that new file into RM is complete the may be a file generated (*.LST) indicating what was not imported. That could have clues to why the File > Compare is not working.
-Upgrade to at least 16 GB RAM

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-8274.jpg?_r=0
  • Support
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 7966 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:27 PM

Access Violations errors can have many causes. I am going to give you a list of things to try and rule out the issue, after you have restarted your computer.

1. In RootsMagic go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. If any issues are found run them a second time. Check if that resolved the error.
  2. Run your anti-virus software program. Do a full scan. Windows 7 or later versions will have Windows Defender installed and should run that. If you don't have an anti-virus program then download Microsoft Security Essentials (free).
  3. Download and install CCleaner (free) and run both the Cleaner and Registry tools. You do want it to fix the registry problems. When given the option to save a restore point please do so, just in case you need it. You can download CCleaner from here - http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/
  4. Download and install Malwarebytes (free) and do a full scan of your computer. You will want to remove any bugs found. You can download Malwarebytes from here - http://download.cnet...4-10804572.html

There is no need to purchase the full version of CCleaner or Malwarebytes. The free versions will work just fine.

After doing that shut down your computer and restart it. Then open RootsMagic and see if the issues have been resolved.

Please note that its best to disconnect from the internet when you run your anti-virus and anti-malware programs. That is because these bugs are getting very sophisticated and "call" home when you try to remove them.

2) The File > Compare Files may pick up people with minimal data entered and no linked family as potential duplicates. So any Person Records that are very similar with no linked family could cause the File > Compare algorithm to see them as a potential Match. This may even occur when there are several children listed under one parent set with just surname and no Facts or similar ambiguous Fact data, if any.

#91384 Sources not merging

Posted by genealogy4primm@earthlink. on 18 October 2018 - 10:56 AM in Issues

I recently did a TreeShare from an Ancestry Tree online into RM. I started some cleanup and establish a few Groups so I knew areas to work on when I was back in TreeShare (primarily who to merge in the Ancestry file). Upon viewing the Master Source List I discovered several duplicated Sources. So I used the Lists > Source Lists > Automerge feature ...it counted to 53 then stopped and hung RM completely. Ctrl-Alt-Del & reopen RM and the TreeShared file.

After careful review to see if any of these were indeed duplicates (spelling or punctuation differences, I then proceeded to manually Merge these under the Source List. All went well in Manual Merge until I encountered the "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" set of duplicate Sources (8 in total). When I attempted to Manually Merge the first two of these RM would again hang up/freeze completely. I even waited several minutes (> 45) and RM was still hung when I returned to check on it. At that point I got a window named "Cleaning duplicate sources..." with content of "Merged: 7", which leads me to believe the original entry of "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" Ancestry Sources is the issue.

The first "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" Ancestry Source entry has a large number of Citation linked Facts to it, the second one was without any Citations, the 3rd - 8th had a few Citations. I was subsequently able to delete the second entry and Merge 3 through 8 into one Master Source. When I attempted to Merge the last remaining small set of Citation entry to the first one, the RM program again appeared to hang/freeze.

My suspicions are there may be some upper limit to how many Master Source entries can be Merged together, or if not, then some sort of memory limitation in processing this Merge.

The visible text of each of these "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" Ancestry Source entries is exactly the same:

Footnote: Ancestry.com, U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current (Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012), [Page].

Short Footnote: , U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current, [Page].

Bibliography: , Ancestry.com. U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.

Source text:
Find A Grave. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrav.../cgi-bin/fg.cgi.

Repository:
Ancestry.com

As of yet I am not sure of the repercussions in TreeShare on Merging the apparently identical Master Sources that did actually Merge. Hopefully The API will recognize those as the same if more of the same exact Ancestry Sources are brought over via TreeShare. Time will tell.

EDIT: The first "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" Ancestry Source has 5499 listed Citations. Seems like an odd number to have in total.

#86652 Misc TreeShare Quirks / Bugs

Posted by genealogy4primm@earthlink. on 02 November 2017 - 10:47 AM in Issues

Alan,

I think I came across this same type of thing, but it has been a while.

The RM Person Record that receives the duplicate from a RM Merge should be the actual RM Person Record linked to the AMT. If you Merge them into a non linked AMT Person Record, as opposed to previous, RM might get confused or the AMT link is broken, thus you get redundant (duplicate) 'Matches' shown in TS4A.