NickGC's Content

There have been 5 items by NickGC (Search limited from 21-July 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#83939 "add the people in this tree to ancestry's index" option in 7.5

Posted by NickGC on 01 July 2017 - 01:56 PM in Discussion

c24m58 - In trying to find out why I still have no hints on RM (but literally thousands on Ancestry), I deleted my Anc tree, renamed my RM tree, and used TreeShare again to reload to Anc. This time I clicked the add to index box (I also found in reading the 14 page PDF on TreeShare, that clicking the 'Add to Index' does allow what you outlined in your post; tree is still private.

Renee - When I first upgraded to the first RM version that had Web Hints (Family Search), I rec'd many hints. Is it possible that I set a switch to ignore them? I haven't had any hints for a long time, nor have I felt the need to do interim upgrades of RM (enhancements were not relevant to me) until RM 7.5. Frankly, Web Hints are not that important to me in about 99% of cases (I am a pretty thorough and dogged researcher), and if light bulbs started popping up all over my database I would probably quickly ask how to turn them off - except for maybe Findmypast.

My apologies! Do I feel stupid. Last night I went thru every permutation imaginable from making sure all my web hints boxes and field were selected in File Options, keeping Ancestry open, disabling my firewall, etc. all to no avail. What I overlooked is that there IS a way to turn off web hints and I had.  Sorry for the waste of time and have a great weekend.

#83905 "add the people in this tree to ancestry's index" option in 7.5

Posted by NickGC on 30 June 2017 - 07:37 PM in Discussion

Thanks - I suspect my copious googling would have turned up any Ancestry links, so maybe I will just upload again and see if I can click only the option to index.  My working with this this afternoon has raised another question tho: I did not name my Ancestry database the same a my RM database.  After a couple of hours that have included lots of clicking around the Ancestry clone, I still don't have any "Web hints". Come to think of it, I haven't had any web hints for ages in spite of all the options being set correctly. Wonder if I am running a browser extension (or something) that is interfering with them>

#83896 "add the people in this tree to ancestry's index" option in 7.5

Posted by NickGC on 30 June 2017 - 05:50 PM in Discussion

Just upgraded to RM 7.5 to create a private tree as a backup on Ancestry.  Afterwards I watched the 36 minute video on 7.5 to see if I should have checked "Add the people in this tree to Ancestry's index" and the vid didn't say anything of significance about this option.  I want to keep the tree private, but I would also like people (especially DNA cousins) to be able to find me, and feel this "Add" option might be beneficial.

So questions:  What exactly happens if I check this box? Can I even check it if I keep tree private? I have uploaded my RM tree - would I have to do it again to include these people in the index?  I have done several searches using the words in this option and nothing relevant shows up.

Thanks! 

#83831 Keeping track of families researched

Posted by NickGC on 29 June 2017 - 07:45 PM in Discussion

Thanks - this is a good idea. I changed the Suffix  field I added to all lowercase 'need descendants' so it stands out after the all caps surname. Then I went through my very small number (10-12?) sets of 4th great grandparents for whom I have good info on their children, and added this prefix and changed color to lime green. I hope I won't feel the need to track back to that level, but it was a good test set.

Now i will go to 2nd grands and verify that I have nailed all those, and then tackle the third grands. I also like the idea of using the suffix filed for inputting (no kids) rather than a tag of that name since it is always visible.

Thanks again.

#83821 Keeping track of families researched

Posted by NickGC on 29 June 2017 - 04:08 PM in Discussion

Hi - this might be a basic question for some.  I always just researched my direct lines until I started doing autosomal DNA testing 6 or 7 yrs ago. Then I found all my first and second cousins (to the extent possible), and traced all descendants from 3rd greats down on my specific surname; This was a tedious, but worthwhile, process. Three+ years ago I made this note in my TO-DO and made a note of each family as compledted: "First make sure that as many 3rd and 2nd cousins from each line have been found as is possible, by tracing down from all 2x great grandparents. Then proceed to 3 great grandparents to see if any lines missed."

When you get to tracing descendants of 3rd greats, it is easy to get confused as to which families have been done and which ones you have skipped for one reason or another.  I would really like an easy way to see this from the family view (pedigree view would be even better), and I am thinking of color coding. I can't find a way to do something like "search or print a list of individuals with no descendants".

Here is an example of my problem: say I am working on a set of 3rd greats' kids; I click on their Family view and see I have all the kids listed; 3 of 5 have red arrows which means I have assigned them a spouse and possibly a family of their own; does a lack of the red arrow mean I haven't looked for a marriage/family, or that they had none? (I solved this partially by creating a No Kids tag so one more click will tell me; initially I had given each of these a Nick Name of "no kids" which even saved a click).

I am looking at the simplest, most efficient way to do this and appreciate any ideas. I was thinking I could make a To-Do list that had all 3rd greats and making notes, but this would require being a little more organized than I usually am.