Ksquared's Content

There have been 22 items by Ksquared (Search limited from 18-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#76408 Media Location or Re-Location

Posted by Ksquared on 29 December 2015 - 02:25 PM in Discussion

I do understand how you want to preserve your file structure but there is a way to keep the media folders separate for restored RootsMagic database's with media. You could restore one database with media and then rename the media folder. Then when the next one is restored with media rename that media folder that is created. You would either use List>Media Gallery>Tools>Fix broken media links or Search>Search & Replace>Multimedia filenames to fix the broken links. 

Thanks for this, Renee!  Being able to redirect all the media in one batch is wonderful! :rolleyes:

#75858 Media Location or Re-Location

Posted by Ksquared on 15 December 2015 - 04:55 PM in Discussion

The difference between the two is that the RM backup consolidates all the media files into one folder and changes the backup database so that is pointed at them, not to their original location(s), while my procedure keeps the media in their original folder structure. Which is advantageous depends on what you are doing and want. The RM backup may be easier for restoring on another computer but the loss of a well structured folder system may be negative.

I'll say the loss of the well structured folder is negative!  I've worked very hard on the structure of my folders.  So when I'm backing up an individual file, what's it doing to the media associated with that file?  I thought it was just backing up that individual file and the media associated with that individual file.  No?  I definitely DON'T want the media from other data files mixed together! :blink:  :wacko:   So how do I make the shortcut?  Can you give me an example, say for a data file named "File1.rgmc".  I wouldn't even want the RM method for relocating on to another computer.  I need to keep my data files and their associated media files separate.

Thanks so much for your help!

#75821 Media Location or Re-Location

Posted by Ksquared on 14 December 2015 - 05:41 PM in Discussion

The Search & Replace Multimedia filename really helped!  Again, sorry I didn't notice it before!  I do have RM7, and use the backup media files when I backup my individual files.  What would be the advantage to using Backup Media with Database - 7Zip over using the built-in RM7 backup with the backup media files box ticked?  

#75598 Duplicate Sources & Source Templates

Posted by Ksquared on 09 December 2015 - 05:31 PM in Issues

Confirming issue is noted in the tracking system. This is only happening with custom source templates and not the default source templates.

Thank you!

#75595 More Migration from TMG woes - Unknown Spouse proliferation, Divorces

Posted by Ksquared on 09 December 2015 - 05:16 PM in Issues

To help narrow it down create a group with the filter - Number of spouses - greater than - 1

I just did a Find with the "number of spouses" and I've already found names I missed :blink:.  Thank you for pointing out the filter!  I obviously need to double-check.

#75594 Duplicate Sources & Source Templates

Posted by Ksquared on 09 December 2015 - 05:03 PM in Issues

You may get some relief from the following SQLite scripts while waiting for a solution from RootsMagic:

http://sqlitetoolsfo...erge Duplicates

http://sqlitetoolsfo...lete Duplicates

Thank you!

#75592 More Migration from TMG woes - Unknown Spouse proliferation, Divorces

Posted by Ksquared on 09 December 2015 - 04:51 PM in Issues

I wonder how TMG differentiated between 5 identical unknown spouses and 5 different unknown mistresses. In RM, they are all spouses and the only differentiation is in the choice of labels, e.g., husband/wife or partner. I think you are stuck with having them all separate or all merged and then manually correcting for the exceptions that you would find only by inspection, e.g., comparing reports from both TMG and RM.

I guess I'd have to say they look the same in TMG.  It's all in one window in TMG.  Yep, I think I'm stuck with having to do it manually.  

#75590 More Migration from TMG woes - Unknown Spouse proliferation, Divorces

Posted by Ksquared on 09 December 2015 - 04:14 PM in Issues

Do the unknown spouses have RINs? Probably not. It sounds as though RootsMagic created a new record in its FamilyTable for the known parent and undefined spouse (RIN=0) for each child. This may be due to some difference in the database constructs of the two programs. It should be possible to merge these records into one and relink the children to the merged couple using SQLite.

The unknown spouses do not have RINs.  Yes, I think it was caused by the difference in the constructs of the two programs.  I have to evaluate them one at a time though, because sometimes they should stay separate.  I have a bunch that are "John Smith had 5 illegitimate children with 5 unknown mistresses".  I wouldn't want to automatically merge those, and I can't think of a way I could define the difference.  As you observed, it is a problem caused by the different way each program handled marriages.

#75589 More Migration from TMG woes - Unknown Spouse proliferation, Divorces

Posted by Ksquared on 09 December 2015 - 04:08 PM in Issues

To help narrow it down create a group with the filter - Number of spouses - greater than - 1

I wracked my brain trying to think of a filter!  I didn't even notice the "number of spouses" option.  I think I'll keep stepping through through the Explorer because I'm finding the duplicate tags at the same time, and I've found some other problems that way as well - like when it duplicated a spouse.  I've even found a couple of problems that are my fault as well  :blink:.  What?  I'm not perfect?  Say it's not so!  Thank you for pointing out the "number of spouses" option.  That would still put in the tons of people I have that have multiple named spouses, but it would cut the list down a bit.  Stepping through is slower, but I'm finding and fixing more problems.  I think I'll run the filter later to make sure I got everybody.

#75585 More Migration from TMG woes - Unknown Spouse proliferation, Divorces

Posted by Ksquared on 09 December 2015 - 03:40 PM in Issues

Was that a direct import? It is odd that this seems to be the first report of this problem, to the best of my knowledge.

Yes.  I used the special Import a TMG file.  I only noticed it by accident, so maybe it's happened to others and they just don't realize it?

#75536 Source Quality

Posted by Ksquared on 08 December 2015 - 06:19 PM in Issues

RM set all my source qualities to:
don't know  Primary  don't know
and it marked most of the fact/tags Primary - even the Note facts/tags, and the Birth tags that only contain a sort date

I don't have always have a Primary source for BMDBu, and hardly ever for Notes.  In TMG birth order was established by the sort birth date.  (When I didn't have a birth date, I used the sort date on the birth tag.)  RM marked these sort date tags as primary when they don't contain an actual date, place or source citation.  I think I mentioned this problem in a previous post.  I asked if there could be a default Quality attached to the Source in the Source List?  One that could override what is shown in the individual fact/tags?  Maybe a choice - do you want to override existing qualities or not?  (If not, only new tags would start out with the quality setting chosen in the Source List.)  With 20,000 people in a file and an average 3 fact/tags per person - again the math is daunting. . . Maybe this is already on the list?

#75535 Duplicate Sources & Source Templates

Posted by Ksquared on 08 December 2015 - 06:14 PM in Issues

For some reason I am getting a massive amount of duplicate sources and duplicate source templates, especially in my File#5 that is a combination of Files#3 & 4.  One of my most used sources has 380 duplicates in the File#5.  It would take me hours to Merge just that one source.  Auto-Merge is the only available Merge in Source Templates and it didn't do anything, so the duplicates are just sitting there.  Could you provide a faster way to merge duplicate sources?  Could you stop RM from making duplicate sources?  (It seems like the more I use a source, the more duplicates are made, especially when Drag and Drop is used.)  The same for duplicate Source Templates? 

#75534 Media Location or Re-Location

Posted by Ksquared on 08 December 2015 - 06:11 PM in Discussion

In TMG a specific file location (a file folder) is assigned for media for each file.  RM doesn't do this.  When I share my file with family members, none of the media is available.  The only way to make it available is reconnect each individual picture.  I have one file that has over 2600 pieces of media.  Could you design an app or something that would help reattach media when a file is moved to another computer?  Give the address of the file folder for each file, so RM automatically looks for that file name in that specific folder for all the media in that file and automatically attaches, or re-attaches the media?

#75533 More Migration from TMG woes - Unknown Spouse proliferation, Divorces

Posted by Ksquared on 08 December 2015 - 06:08 PM in Issues

I have a good number of people where one of the spouses is unknown (usually the wife).  When I imported (from TMG) a separate Unknown Spouse was assigned to each of the children.  For instance, in TMG I had John Smith with 1 unknown wife and 5 children.  In RM I have John Smith with 5 Unknown wives, each with 1 child.  I haven't found a way to search for this problem, so I can only fix it when I happen to run into it.  (I have also started going down the RM Explorer one person at a time looking for the problem.)  I have 5 data files, 2 with over 20,000 people in them.  The math is boggling, and I'm trying not to think about the time it's going to take to fix.  I don't know if anything can be done to fix this conversion problem, but it sure did cause a mess.

I just recently realized that none of my Divorces transferred over to RM.  I'm going to have to run a Search in TMG for all the Divorces and put them back in to my files. :wacko:

#75531 Drag and Drop - some problems and improvements

Posted by Ksquared on 08 December 2015 - 06:00 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

First, let me say I'm very grateful for Drag and Drop!  I have two files that have a lot of the same people.  My maternal grandmother and maternal grandfather's lines run into the royal lines and they cross-over a lot.  I've made a third file that combines my maternal grandparents so we can see how they weave in and out of each other.  It's fascinating and I wasn't able to do it in TMG.  So I am very grateful for Drag and Drop!  

There are some problems with Drag and Drop.  I don't know if there's anything that can be done to fix them, but fixing them would sure make Drag and Drop more productive and easier to use.

Duplicates
Sometimes it makes duplicate:
  • facts/tags
  • people that don't show up on Duplicate Merge Search
  • spouses that don't show up on Duplicate Merge Search

Drag and Drop an individual - with Merging the person:
  • doesn't clean duplicate sources (even though it says it is), sometimes it multiplies them 
    (Copying an existing person in File A with source X & Y to an existing person in File B with source X:
    In File B there are usually two copies of source X and one Y, but sometimes there will be three or even four copies of source X, even though all source Xs are absolutely identical in both Files A & B)
Drag and Drop multiple generations (ancestors and 1 generation of descendants):
  • in patches it makes duplicates for a generation or two that don't show up on Duplicate Merge Search
  • sometimes it copies the siblings of the ancestor and sometimes it doesn't
    I've had very uneven results when copying over multiple generations.  I've found huge branches that weren't tranferred over and I can see no explanation as to why.  Sometimes the copy works and sometimes it doesn't.
Drag and Drop could be improved by adding:
  • drag and drop a couple - a person and their spouse - so the marriage tags are included
  • and/or if the "select people from a list" worked

(I try not Drag and Drop a generation or more at a time because then the other problems listed above are more likely to occur.  So I've been using Drag and Drop one person at a time, and the Marriage information doesn't drag over.)

#72350 Relationship Calculation Woes

Posted by Ksquared on 15 May 2015 - 01:14 PM in Discussion

Thanks Renee.  I'll submit that support request.

Kim D

#72349 Counting Ancestors

Posted by Ksquared on 15 May 2015 - 01:05 PM in Discussion

Thanks for the suggestions!

Kim D

#72337 Counting Ancestors

Posted by Ksquared on 14 May 2015 - 04:59 PM in Discussion

File > Properties gives the number of people, families, etc. in the file.  Would it be possible to count how many ancestors there are in the file (parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc.) ?  Just a thought.

Kim D

#72331 Relationship Calculation Woes

Posted by Ksquared on 14 May 2015 - 02:55 PM in Discussion

I have a problem with the Relationship Calculation (RC) that displays at the bottom left corner of RM. I have a lot of people who were aunts, uncles or cousins when I first entered them in the file, but later on they are changed to grandparents. Sometimes the RC reflects the change, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, the previous aunt, uncle or cousin relationship is displayed in the bottom left corner. I know the people are linked to their parents and children correctly. When I use the relationship calcultor to calculate the individual relationship, the correct grandparent relationship is displayed at the top of the list. Color coding also shows that these people are linked correctly.

I unlinked several from their parents, then I cleared and set the RC again. At this point, they display as grandparents. Then I hooked them back up to their parents. The correct grandparent relationship is still displayed.  Then I cleared and set the RC again. Back they go to aunts, uncles or cousins. 

I had this problem when I was using TMG. I was hoping RM wouldn't have the same problem, but it does. I did prove to TMG tech support that I had the people connected properly. The said they were going to fix it, but they never got around to it.

I think I just figured out what the problem is! Does RM allow RC grandparent status for only one child in each family? I have a LOT of families where two or more children are grandparents. Can you change RM to allow grandparent status for more than one child in a family? Pretty please! I use the relationship all the time when writing captions and entering Notes for Facts. It's a real pain to have to stop and calculate each person individually to make sure the RC in the corner is correct. Anyone related to titled gentry in Europe would have the same problem.  They intermarried constantly. There are many thousands of people who are descendants of titled Europeans, so there must be some other RM users with the same problem?
Thanks,
Kim D

#71400 Copy person from one file to another

Posted by Ksquared on 10 March 2015 - 05:56 PM in Discussion

You would think that by now I would be better about doing backups. :wacko:   Must do better!  

#71359 Copy person from one file to another

Posted by Ksquared on 06 March 2015 - 06:04 PM in Discussion

I used Compare Files and I can see now that that caused the problems.  When I searched in RM Help, the Compare Files method was the only one that came up.  (I searched for "copy person to another file".)  After reading your post, Renee, I searched for Drag and Drop.  When I used Drag & Drop as you suggested, it worked very well.  It would be nice if you knew in advance how many people were going to be copied over, so you can have a chance to back out.  I did one copy that I thought was going to be about 12 people and it added 100.  Ooops!  Either advance warning or an undo would be nice.  I will, however, be more careful in the future!  Drag & Drop is a really nice feature!  I'm grateful for it.  

Would you maybe want to put some kind of warning or referral on the Compare Files method?  Or fix it so it does work?  And maybe fix it so the Drag & Drop method would come up when someone searches for "copy person to another file" in RM Help?    I'll use Drag & Drop from now on, but others may run into the same problem I did with the Compare Files method.

Thanks Renee!

#71341 Copy person from one file to another

Posted by Ksquared on 05 March 2015 - 07:12 PM in Discussion

I was just trying to copy a person from one file into another through Files>Compare Files.  I copied a husband and wife from File A to File B.  Then, I went into File B to connect them to their son and each other, and had these problems:

1. Sources - sources were not copied over, and Memorize does not work between files.  I really need the Sources to be copied over.

2. The Marriage tag wasn't copied over. I attached the parents to the child in File B, selecting the existing father and mother that I copied from File A to File B.  It asked me if I wanted to add a Marriage Event.  I said Yes and filled in the date and place, but there isn't a Marriage Event tag listed on the husband or wife.  The mother is listed as the father's spouse, but there is no Marriage Event tag/fact.  I tried to add it manually, but couldn't.  (I clicked Add a Fact, Marriage, but a duplicate of one of the other events appeared (BDBu, etc.) instead.   

3. Since Sources weren't copied over, I'm guessing Notes wouldn't be copied either.

4.  It'd really be nice if the Media was copied over as well.