CherylCh's Content

There have been 11 items by CherylCh (Search limited from 04-March 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#87045 Set relationships error

Posted by CherylCh on 02 December 2017 - 11:45 AM in Discussion

When I Set Relationships, with myself as the target, my aunts and uncles by marriage are identified at the bottom of the screen as "Aunt" or "Uncle," just like their spouses to whom I am actually related.  This doesn't happen with more distant relatives, such as great aunts or uncles by marriage.  No relationship at all is shown for them.

#85329 (Mis)use of place field

Posted by CherylCh on 13 August 2017 - 03:11 PM in Discussion

Will RM blow a gasket if I use the place field for something like a URL, as opposed to a traditional place name?

#85130 Going back to Win version

Posted by CherylCh on 03 August 2017 - 11:48 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

If you have installed Parallels and then the Windows version of RootsMagic on your Mac, use File>Open on your current .rmgc database file, or use File>Restore if you have the .rmgb backup.  I do believe you need to move the files over to your Windows side.

Thanks, Renee.  File>Open didn't work, but File>Restore did.  I also had to relink my media files, but that didn't take long.  I run Parallels in Coherence mode, so I didn't need to move any files.  At least, I assume Coherence is the reason I didn't have to.

#85121 Going back to Win version

Posted by CherylCh on 03 August 2017 - 07:42 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question - only two questions!  I am using 7.0.1 which I believe is a Windows version using crossover.  I have been trying to find a native Mac version, but what appears to be one shown on the Rootsweb download site merely gives me a repeat 7.0.1.  I would be asking 'how did you stumble across the version you are using?, but now am asking' why do you want to move back again to crossover?'

I'm using the Crossover version.  There isn't a native Mac version yet.  The reasons I want to move back to the regular Windows version are: 1.  No upload to Dropbox to update the app on my iPad  2. It's noticeably slower than just running the Windows version under Parallels  3. Parts of the display are too hard to read.  I've changed all I could in the display options, but that doesn't affect the font size in the menus or Edit Person screen, for example.

#85105 Going back to Win version

Posted by CherylCh on 02 August 2017 - 03:54 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I've been using RootsMagic for Mac, and at least for now, I'd like to revert to running RootsMagic under Parallels.  How do I do this safely?  Just reopening my current database file in Windows didn't work.

#83579 "Certainty" in source citations

Posted by CherylCh on 31 May 2017 - 10:55 AM in Discussion

Thank you, Tom, for the SQLite statement.

#83569 "Certainty" in source citations

Posted by CherylCh on 30 May 2017 - 12:53 PM in Discussion

In a small GEDCOM, that's certainly doable.  And that's all I'm doing for WikiTree, 100 or 200 people at a time. Of course, I'll have to be really careful not to mess up the file otherwise.

#83567 "Certainty" in source citations

Posted by CherylCh on 30 May 2017 - 12:11 PM in Discussion

Thanks, Tom.  So it's a citation by citation label.  Well, at least it only shows up in Gedcom.  I guess I'll just delete it when it shows up on WikiTree, and fix it in my database when I'm working on someone and notice it.  I can't face going through hundreds of citations looking for it.  Or is this something I can fix in SQL?

#83565 "Certainty" in source citations

Posted by CherylCh on 30 May 2017 - 10:58 AM in Discussion

When I first started using The Master Genealogist many years ago, I used their "surety" system of assigning ratings to sources: 3=primary, 2=secondary, 1=I don't remember.  Eventually I stopped doing that.  But I never went back and deleted the sureties I had already assigned.  

RootsMagic seems to be labeling these as "certainty: 3", etc.  They don't show up in narrative reports or family group sheets, at least not the ones I've checked so far.  Where they do show up is in some GEDCOM exports and imports.  Specifically, I'm uploading some people to WikiTree and they are showing up in the source citations there.  But when I look at the source in the Master Source List, there's nothing about certainty or surety in the footnote, short footnote, or bibliography.  I've also looked at the Source Templates for these items, and there's nothing there, either.

How can I get rid of this?

#83563 Mergering Facts - is there a way

Posted by CherylCh on 30 May 2017 - 10:42 AM in Discussion

I created a Birth-Alt fact type that I use in addition to the Birth fact type.  That way, I can always see on screen the various birthdates I have evidence for, but only the one I consider most accurate shows up in reports and charts.

#82051 Modified kinship list

Posted by CherylCh on 08 January 2017 - 10:32 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

In working with my DNA matches, it would be extremely useful if I could generate a kinship list that included only relatives by blood (no "spouses of") and could restrict the list to specific relationships or ranges of relationships, such as 2nd to 4th cousins.  It would also be great if I could restrict the list by maternal or paternal lines, and included, or at least recognized, multiple relationships to the same individual.

An improvement to the relationship chart would also be nice. The format of the chart is great for demonstrating relationships, especially to people who may be new to genealogy.  I would like to be able to create multiple charts to show multiple relationships between two individuals.  After all, according to the RootsMagic relationship calculator, I'm my own cousin ten different ways.