mjashby's Content

There have been 25 items by mjashby (Search limited from 16-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95215 MacOS Users - MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) & Wine

Posted by mjashby on 11 September 2019 - 12:53 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

For those Mac Users running RootMagic, or any other Windows software, under 'Wine', i.e. a native Wine installation, Crossover, PlayOnMac, Wineskin etc.; for the latest developments on a solution for Apple's decision not to support (block) any 32-bit software running on it's next, 'Catalina'/MacOS 10.15, and future OS updates, please see this Codeweavers Blog post:

https://www.codeweav... ... dium=email

Codeweavers, the developers of Crossover, have the lead on developing the solution in partnership with the Wine Team, so other front end providers are dependent on their progress and the general advice is that if running Windows software under Wine is important/vital to you, then don't upgrade to Catalina/MacOS 10.5, which is now expected to be released in October, until a solution has been announced. Mac Crossover subscribers, it seems, will get a 3 month extension to their current subscription in recognition of the fact that the current version of their software will not be functional on Catalina, which could be an indicator of how much longer they expect it may take to get to a final release version of a working solution.

Unix Users of Wine/Crossover are not affected by this issue as, whilst some of the major developers have said that they will only be be releasing future OS upgrades as 64-bit, unlike Apple, they will not be removing the ability of their 64-bit OS releases to continue to run 32-bit code/software.

Mervyn

P.S. My understanding is that all Windows software running under Wine is/will be affected by this issue as even if '64-bit only' Windows applications usually contain some 32-bit code, e.g. the vast majority of Windows software make use of 32-bit installers to detect the capabilities of the Operating system and to set up the application correctly.

P.P.S. Personally, I have run RootsMagic on MacOS under Wine for more than 3 years and have never experienced any significant problems, but I don't rely on someone else's creation of Wine.apps.

#94862 Not optimised for Mac

Posted by mjashby on 21 August 2019 - 08:17 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Crossover can't provide an updated RootsMagic 7 package because there isn't yet a working solution for Apple's decision to prevent any software application that makes 32-bit system calls from running on 'Catalina Beta', or on the release version of Catalina which is still not due to land until late-September at the earliest.

The better way to keep a check on 'progress' would be to monitor relevant discussion threads on:

- the WineHQ Mac Forum - https://forum.winehq...ewforum.php?f=9  e.g. https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32590 

- the Crossover Mac Forum: https://www.codeweav.../general/?;t=27  e.g. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;msg=212891 

There simply is nothing the RootsMagic developers, or anyone else can do about RootMagic 7 until/unless an effective programming solution is found by Wine developers in partnership with Crossover and others, which simplistically means "A way of programatically convincing MacOS (Catalina and later) that it is running 64-bit processes when it isn't!".  And before anyone asks the obvious question. No, simply installing 32-bit Windows software in a 64-bit Wine Wrapper won't work because the resulting app still contains the essential 32-bit system calls, just as real Windows systems do, which is what the next MacOS version is/will be designed to recognise and prevent from running.  In contrast Microsoft has come out strongly against dropping the ability to run 32-bit software on 64-bit Windows systems; and major Linux developers, such as Ubuntu, have stated that, although they are unlikely to continue to release 32-bit builds of their future OS releases, they will continue to maintain their OS's ability to run 32-bit software.

Sorry to say this, but anyone running 'Catalina Beta' on a production system, i.e. a system which is required to work reliably and preserve user data securely, only has themselves to blame if any of their software no longer works, or if any data becomes corrupted, as Apple clearly advises beta users NOT to deploy Beta Versions on such systems.  I would extend that to anyone intending to install the release version of Catalina immediately on release really needs to think seriously about the potential impact if something goes belly up.  Thinking back, Mojave certainly wasn't an easy ride for many users and there have been continuing problems with far from perfect updates since its initial release.

#94195 Lock the 'Wish List' to further entries until after the release of RM8

Posted by mjashby on 13 June 2019 - 07:43 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I love a little bit of controversy so, as the subject indicates:

- I see little point in users endlessly adding to the current 'Wish List' items when no-one other than designers/testers, who are obviously sworn to secrecy under threat of plague, pestilence and disembowelment, know what new/improved features have already been incorporated in the re-design/re-write of RM8.

- All the wishes in the world will not change the feature set/functionalities already available in RM7, unless RM8 is delayed indefinitely and programming resources are redirected.

- The design/feature set for the initial release of RM8 is almost certainly already set in tablets of stone.  If that is not accurate then, in my opinion, users are unlikely to see RM8 arrive this side of Christmas/New Year - and I won't say which year!.

- I would further suggest that a completely 'new' User Wish List Topic Area should be created once RM8 is released. I would further suggest that for any Wish List to be effective, it needs be actively; and more openly, managed by the RM Development Team to avoid endless duplication.  It is absolutely  pointless for users to constantly make requests/suggestions only for the Development Team to provide zero response/feedback as a follow-up to the confirmation of inclusion on an invisible and secret request list.

- Users really need to see what changes are made over time in response to suggestions/requests; and also deserve to know why some often repeated requests for improvement have not been met.  I don't buy in to any argument that a maintained List should be in any way confidential, when it is built around open user requests/suggestions/feedback.  Any competent software competitor could easily monitor the public reporting channels and analyse what users are reporting as not meeting their needs; or simply obtain a copy of the software and probe its strengths and weaknesses.

I will now stand back and wait to be shot down in flames.

Mervyn

#93996 Generated reports not scaling properly

Posted by mjashby on 22 May 2019 - 01:31 AM in Issues

The Knowledge Base article Renee pointed to gives a good summary of the behaviour I referred to.  

Think of it this way: If you have a 'modern' laptop with a HiDPI (High Definition Dots Per Inch) Screen set to its maximum display capability (which most computer users have no genuine need for) and an 'old' printer (or any software) which was produced before such displays were widely available, then that is somewhat equivalent to expecting a 1990s TV to be able to accurately display a Ultra High Definition DVD Film.  It's simply not going to happen without a conversion process.

Mervyn 

#93970 Generated reports not scaling properly

Posted by mjashby on 20 May 2019 - 02:05 AM in Issues

First thing to check should probably be the Printer/Printer Driver software in use, including any PDF Printer Drivers that you may have installed.  Has it/Have they been updated since you moved to an HDiPI display system (i.e. is all of your software HDiPI aware - fully compatible with HDiPI screen displays)?

I may be wrong but this is a relatively common issue, as many users keep their peripheral hardware (and its original software/drivers) for much longer than their PCs/Laptops.

#93909 Date Formatting

Posted by mjashby on 15 May 2019 - 02:37 AM in Discussion

How does that format cope with and provide clarity with 'dual dating', e.g. 06 Mar 1655/56?

How does it clearly identify whether a date prior to 1752 came from the Julian Calendar, or has been 'transposed' to a Gregorian date; which would, if calculated correctly, be completely different, to what was recorded in the original document?

How does it handle 'Quaker Dates' prior to 1752, where Month 1 (i) was March & 10 ('x') was December?

No wholly numeric system can provide complete clarity and I don't see how ISO 8601 could possibly be successfully applied to the recording of all historic dates, or to any Calendar that does not/did not conform to a general European/US perspective/modern expectation. This difficulty applies particularly where calendar inconsistencies existed (and continue to exist) and/or where there were clear historic differences in calendar usage, e.g. the Gregorian Calendar was not 'universally' implemented across Europe on a single date, That change wasn't even implemented across the 'Great Britain' in the same year, as Scotland accepted the Pope's decree on the implementation date for the Gregorian Calendar, but England & Wales (and the 'Colonies') didn't.

#93732 How to cite evidence for photos and audio?

Posted by mjashby on 29 April 2019 - 05:51 AM in Discussion

1. Whatever can be found that determines/evidences the provenance of the article/image/document etc. - https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Provenance

2. The most logical placement, in my opinion, would be in the Media Record (Properties - Description), which also allows you to record any outstanding concerns about the provenance of the Media, but others may suggest alternative options.

#93644 when a record is wrong.

Posted by mjashby on 23 April 2019 - 01:39 AM in Discussion

Transcription errors are misleading and do continue to be the direct and ever increasing cause of many false lines of so-called family histories, as lazy people carelessly accept what is already recorded through other poor research, rather than questioning its authenticity.  However, questions and concerns about transcription issues should be directed to the data provider concerned, who is the body responsible for providing false information:  See: https://www.familyse...-record&lang=en A totally unsatisfactory situation, in my opinion, but I treat all records on FamilySearch as suspect and speculative, unless the actual document is available for checking.  Ancestry should also display a BIG BOLD WARNING on the blind use and lazy acceptance of the unverified content in Ancestry Trees, but they prefer to concentrate on promoting how easy it is to to find all the information you need on their site without, of course, informing users of the multi-billions of records that aren't available and which might very well produce alternative research lines of research.

One thing to remember is that the final transcriptions that do appear should reflect what was actually contained in the original document, including any 'presumed' incorrect information and what we today consider spelling 'errors'.  And, just because a researcher believes that Person A and Person B must be the same individual, even though they have different names, does not make it so.  It will remain supposition (and possibly a simple coincidence) until or unless clear evidence of why/if an actual error occurred is found, or there is sufficient confirmation from other contemporary documentation that supports the same conclusion.  The simplistic and naive acceptance of one possibility, just because only record can find online, is often forced to fit a particular set of circumstances is the major cause of the many false 'family histories'; and the main perpetrators always seem to be reluctant to accept that they got it wrong.  Of course this all started with the LDS and the blind unverified data that was added to the IGI en masse.

#93595 Sentence template to provide ages for multiple people

Posted by mjashby on 16 April 2019 - 02:37 PM in Sentence and Source Templates

But that assumes the use of calculated ages, which is not necessarily the age(s) that appear in in the supporting documentation.

#93555 Sentence template to provide ages for multiple people

Posted by mjashby on 14 April 2019 - 04:08 AM in Sentence and Source Templates

Thinking about this 'problem' logically, the required sentence needs to be based on information which does actually exist within facts in the database and that information isn't recorded, so can't be automagically produced.

The mother and children don't have personal events against which their ages are recorded, they just 'share' (or 'witness') the single event recorded only against the father which simply contains his age, so where is the rest of the information to be acquired from?

Mervyn

#93367 "App" is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated

Posted by mjashby on 23 March 2019 - 03:25 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

It's Crossover that needs to be upgraded to a 64-bit on Macs to get rid of the pop-up warning, not WINE, which has been available in 64-bit builds for well over a year. Nor is it the Windows version of RootsMagic 7 (or earlier versions) as that's not relevant.  Mac's know nothing about and nor do they care whether Windows Apps are 32-bit or 64-bit as they don't run those apps natively.

It's easy to build a 64-bit Wine.app using WINE directly, or with the help of one of the other 'front-end' apps available on MacOS/Linux, e.g. Wineskin (Mac Only), PlayOnMac or PlayOnLinux.  Unfortunately, Crossover hasn't yet been upgraded to a 64-bit build, so will continue to produce the warnings until that happens; and unlike the other options available doesn't allow any choice of alternative WINE Engines for different apps, or to take advantage of bug-fixes in the ongoing development builds of WINE. You only get what's included in each Crossover release, the latest in Crossover 18.5 being Wine Version 4.0 

Note: It is important to understand that it will still remain possible to run 32-bit Windows apps using WINE on future builds of MacOS providing the underpinning front end wrapper that is produced is recognised as a 64-bit app.  In contrast it won't be possible to run a native 32-bit MacOS app which is what the pop-up warning is about!  It's already possible in even more complex scenarios to retain 32-bit compatibility with no warning messages, i.e. running a full virtualised version of a 64-bit/32-bit Windows OS, older/same version of MacOS, 32-bit Linux etc., using one of the Virtualisation options (VirtualBox, Parallels, VMWare 64-bit) which are all 64-bit apps in their current versions and produce no pop-up compatibility warnings no matter what 'bittedness' the actual application is.

#93073 Any news on RM 8 complete rewrite?

Posted by mjashby on 28 February 2019 - 01:14 PM in Discussion

I'm sure that the RootsMagic developers aren't sitting on any completed software update, as that would be a recipe for business suicide, as would be the release of an 'Upgrade' with any significant known problems/issues/inadequately tested features. Patience should be the watchword; and be aware of the significant risk of being an early adopter of any completely re-written software if you value your existing data. Keep plenty of backups!

Consume a half-baked pie and all you are likely to get is severe belly-ache. Witness the impact on end users and the controversy of faulty Windows 10 and/or MacOS updates and how many developers/testers Microsoft and Apple employ in comparison with the much smaller software organisations that produce genealogy software, or indeed any other software applications.

#92983 Suddenly *everyone* is changed in TreeShare!

Posted by mjashby on 18 February 2019 - 07:31 AM in Discussion

I wouldn't give up hope yet that the issue might 'correct' itself given time. Ancestry may well be having wider problems with its synchronisation API.  Family Tree Maker seem to be into a third day of its synchronisation feature being totally blocked.

Perhaps something to do with Ancestry's Free Access weekend! Server overload?

#92969 Opinions Requested Legacy 9 DLX vs Roots Magic 7

Posted by mjashby on 16 February 2019 - 11:39 AM in Discussion

Any prospective new user needs to take into account the fact that Legacy was purchased by MyHeritage and seems unlikely to receive any significant long-term development updates, given the disadvantages of its underpinning database software, lack of support for unicode etc., etc.; and the fact that MyHeritage already has its own more modern Desktop Application. Ask yourself why any business would they wish to waste resources by continuing the development two directly competing desktop products long-term?

If I were a betting man I would say that the Legacy Desktop software is probably already scheduled to go the way of all those competitor applications purchased by Ancestry, i.e. a slow and lingering demise.  However, Legacy's wider business activities, branding; and large user base clearly do offer increased business opportunities for MyHeritage.  I suspect MyHeritage was far more interested in those factors than it was in the Legacy desktop software.

#92886 One wish wishlist

Posted by mjashby on 11 February 2019 - 10:18 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I guess I might picture something that's sort of like TreeShare except that sync would be automatic, no data would be lost between the RM desktop and the cloud storage in either direction, and multiple users would be prevented from stepping on each other. The last condition would be the hardest to fulfill. For example, what would happen if two different users started editing the same person at the same time? Or the same item in the source list? Or the same item in the place list? And what about global changes to things like the place list? And what about media files that might not have identical file strings on each user's computer? It's a very non-trivial problem.

Jerry

Do you mean something like: https://www.syniumso...tree-sync-share ?

As RootsMagic isn't (yet) competing with native MacOS Apps it's presumably O.K. providing the above link, purely as an example of an existing working system, not as a software recommendation.  Perhaps interesting that that Desktop application also uses SQLite as its database software so it's clearly a possibility to develop a method of live file sharing and synchronisation via online/cloud storage, although all 'sharers' do have to use MacOS/iOS software from the same developer so it is also a software lock-in.

Mervyn

#92840 Christening gets included as a "Basic Event" when printing Family Gro...

Posted by mjashby on 06 February 2019 - 06:10 AM in Discussion

I would add to the list those Christian denominations that don't practice infant christening/baptisms, which, of course, includes the LDS, Baptists etc., not to mention the millions of Christenings/Baptisms that (probably) did take place but for which there is no documentary evidence.

I don't see a problem in software using a Christening/Baptism date as a proxy date for a non-existent birth providing a Christening/Baptism date has actually been entered but no birth information is recorded, however, where no such data has been entered, in my opinion, erroneous fact titles should not be shown in an individual records. 

I don't see any justification in the argument that a specific proxy fact is used by the software where a birth date is not entered as a valid reason for the unwanted appearance of invalid (presumptive) Fact Titles. There are plenty of genealogy products that have their own built in methods of estimating possible life span without the need to resort erroneous entries so the practice is simply not necessary and could be considered as disciminatory.

Mervyn

#92724 How to use Standardized Place Names - OR NOT?

Posted by mjashby on 29 January 2019 - 02:29 PM in Discussion

@Vyger,

Yes, I agree that, from the family history research angle, it's far better to look at 'Ireland' as the whole geographic island irrespective of what administrative arrangements were in place at any particular time.  That doesn't usually impact too greatly unless it becomes apparent that family structure, migration etc. were impacted by 'political action/interventions', but that's more about considering the 'reasons why' rather than 'where' specific family events occurred.   

Much the same applies to England, Wales and Scotland (and probably many other countries), but it's surprising how many researchers agonise endlessly over interpreting differences between historic 'counties/localities' which have remained relatively constant for hundreds of years, versus constantly changing administrative counties and other localities which appear and disappear at the whim of national/local government and/or other public bodies. 

Mervyn

#92714 How to use Standardized Place Names - OR NOT?

Posted by mjashby on 29 January 2019 - 08:43 AM in Discussion

And, of course, 'Ireland' might be used at times to refer to any part or all of: 

- the island of Ireland (the geographic place which include both of the following);

- the Republic of Ireland/Irish Republic (the autonomous State and full member of the European Union; but not part of the United Kingdom); and/or

- the Province of Northern Ireland (which still remains a part of the United Kingdom, but has its own devolved parliament (when it is not suspended!)).

#92691 Search and Replace - Regular Expressions?

Posted by mjashby on 27 January 2019 - 01:30 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Sorry, but it seems your knowledge of Delphi and its use for the production of cross-platform applications is a little out of date. See: https://www.embarcad...products/delphi

#92595 Name Field in Source Templates

Posted by mjashby on 22 January 2019 - 09:55 AM in Sentence and Source Templates

But how would you expect the software to manage the following:

- Mary Adams, formerly Thompson, previously Jones, née Smith?  or 

- Mary Anne Evans (alternatively Mary Ann Evans, or Marian Evans), a.k,a. George Eliot (the author)?

Women, like men, don't always marry just the once; and may also have have used multiple variant names.  Also, whilst, at first, your examples may appear 'normal', not all nationalities, ethnicities, religions etc. use the same naming conventions before, during or after marriage, has has been discussed numerous times in this forum

#92367 RM7 unfriendly to keyboard users

Posted by mjashby on 08 January 2019 - 06:05 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Substitute the use of the Mac CMD Key for Windows ALT.

Remember,  no matter what underpinning front end software is being used to run RM7 on a Mac it is still creating a vitualized Windows system on your Mac using WINE.  It still is what it is: Windows Software.

Mervyn

#91797 Is "Sir" a title of nobility?

Posted by mjashby on 28 November 2018 - 01:56 PM in Discussion

Unfortunately. the 'answer' to your question is far from straightforward.

A useful introduction to start developing an understanding is: https://en.wikipedia...ritish_nobility

'Sir' implies that the person is/was either a Baronet or had/has a Knighthood which might be hereditary, but also might be an award for specific 'services' rendered, e.g. Sir Paul McCartney (Sir James Paul McCartney CH MBE) is definitely not royalty but he was awarded a lifetime Knighthood, which cannot be passed on to any of his descendants. Similarly, Sir Bob Geldof was awarded the 'honorary' title Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire for his charity work - The title is honorary because he is not British but a citizen of the Republic of Ireland. The situation is also similar for Barons/Baronesses, e.g. the former British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher was awarded a life peerage after she 'retired' from her role as a Member of Parliament, becoming Baroness Thatcher (of Kesteven in the County of Lincolnshire) which entitled her to sit in the House of Lords (Full Name/Title Honours was: Margaret Hilda Thatcher, Baroness ThatcherLGOMDStJPCFRSHonFRSC.

#91558 Best Genealogy computer programs?

Posted by mjashby on 01 November 2018 - 04:05 AM in General Messages

And here on slightly different tack, and being British, I'm reminded of a quote by Bill Shankly, a long departed and legendary manager of Liverpool Football Club when they dominated the old English First Division in the 1960s and 1970s.  When asked by a TV News Reporter to name the best Liverpool Team he had ever managed he simply said: "The next one!"  

Mervyn

#91057 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by mjashby on 14 September 2018 - 05:08 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Not sure why there are so many concerns about a piece of software not working correctly with MacOS Mojave! It's a BETA product that has already passed through 14 iterations and isn't yet the final release version, so why would anyone expect (all) 3rd-Party software to work on it without any issues.

In my experience with MacOS for more than 10 years (and Microsoft for more than 30 years), every OS upgrade has necessitated a significant number of upgrades to software applications; and that includes Microsoft Office and all Apple application software, immediately after the OS update is released.  3rd-Party software developers need to understand what issues are likely to arise with each major new OS release, but very rarely release updates which attempt to keep pace with Beta changes simply because it's a constantly moving target until all changes are finalised. Lost count of the number of times Apple (and Microsoft) have trialled changes in Beta-OS versions only to change/adapt their original idea, or even drop/postpone significant changes entirely in a 'final' release version.

As others have mentioned its far better for the RootsMagic developers to expend there efforts on completing RootsMagic 8 than investing any serious amount of time investigating glitches experienced with running a non-native MacOS application through a 3rd-Party (which itself relies on another 3rd party piece of software - WINE) on a BETA OS.  

#91039 VirtualBox fixes the RM for MAC issues

Posted by mjashby on 12 September 2018 - 05:33 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

You need to install the VirtualBox "Guest Additions" to use Shared Folders.  See Section 4 of the VirtualBox User Manual.  Section 4.3 deals specifically with the subject of Shared Folders.