mjashby's Content

There have been 13 items by mjashby (Search limited from 24-September 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#97618 RM8

Posted by mjashby on 23 June 2020 - 11:37 AM in Discussion

Can't imagine that small scale apple developers who rely on home software purchasers for an income will be queuing to buy first release new apple hardware that can't also run existing x86 software. They are already becoming thoroughly disenchanted with the Apple dictatorship, which is increasingly imposing new restrictions and requirements with every OS release.  As a long-term user I'm also getting increasingly disenchanted by a company that cannot get its existing OS version right, evidenced by the fact that after 6 months we are already up to MacOS 10.15.6, with monthly updates and supplementary updates averaging well in excess of 3Gb downloads per month.

Nor can I see the majority of Mac users rushing to purchase new hardware that may not be compatible with existing peripherals and software and which is incapable of dual booting or virtualising x86 Operating systems which would eliminate the capability advantage of current hardware.

Personally, each Mac that I have purchased has lasted at least 10 years, so why on earth would I want to rush to purchase a new hardware platform.  I purchase the hardware because of proven long-term durability and performance, i.e I still have access to fully functional MacBook Pros from 2011, 2013 and 2019 so I'm now good until at least 2025 and I'm confident that the Office and Family History applications I'm likely to use, including RootsMagic 8 (and possibly 9), plus others I regularly use will still function well on them.  If Apple wishes to commit business suicide before then there will always be suitable alternatives.

#97503 Do the database tools on start-up

Posted by mjashby on 11 June 2020 - 02:40 AM in Discussion

I agree with robertjacobs0.  If such a routine were implemented it would:

- irritate the majority of users massively by slowing down application launch, in repeatedly performing checks that should be unnecessary 99.9% of the time; and 

- display a remarkable lack of confidence in the RootsMagic developers' programming capabilities; and/or in the capabilities of SQLite as a reliable database tool which is definitely not the case.

Not at all a smart move in my opinion.

#97494 Tie sources to geographic locations

Posted by mjashby on 09 June 2020 - 04:16 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I'm not really clear what you are looking for from the developers and you probably need to be much more specific, e.g. How?

Personally, I find it quite easy to do precisely what you are asking for by prefixing my Source names (when necessary) with a location identifier:

"ENG YKS Leeds: ...... " clearly identifies all Sources relating specifically to Leeds, Yorkshire, England.  It auto-sorts them in to alpha order in the Source List; and also allows easy filtering in most genealogy software products.

#97428 Sentence for shared Probate Records

Posted by mjashby on 02 June 2020 - 03:48 AM in Discussion

Margaret,

If your source is the National Probate Index (England & Wales) then the people/organisations mentioned in the index entries are the approved Administrators/Executors, i.e. those to whom Probate or Administration was granted; who will not (necessarily) be named beneficiaries of any Will, although some Wills will state sums of money granted to the Executors. so someone can be both an Executor/Administrator and a Beneficiary, but those roles are distinct and separate.  The Index covers both proven Wills, Grants of Administrations (Admons) where there is no valid/proven Will; and sometimes you might also see "Administatrion/Admon, with Will, which may indicate that Probate/Administration was granted to an individual/organisation not specifically named as an Executor in the Will", or that (some) Executors that were originally named were possibly unwilling/unable to apply for Probate, so Administration was granted to another party.

#96850 Dark theme for RM

Posted by mjashby on 25 March 2020 - 10:56 AM in Discussion

Let's have an end to the myOS is better than yourOS 'arguments' as they are totally pointless.

I have been a MacOS user for more than 10 years, but have also regularly used Windows for over 25 years (and previously CP/M, Unix and MSDOS), plus several versions of LINUX.  To my mind there is no doubt that MacOS has some advantages over Windows and vice versa, i.e. I am far from being a 'fanboy' of either system and don't believe either OS is perfect, but can't understand why some positive features in either system haven't been replicated in the other.  Plus, both Apple and Microsoft have both made some disastrous decisions in the past and will, no doubt, continue to make similar mistakes in the future.  LINUX is pretty much unrivalled in the server market with the entire Internet, Microsoft and Apple and virtually every major organisation being dependent on LINUX Servers but, in my opinion, it will never rival Windows or MacOS on the Desktop because there is no such thing as a single LINUX Operating System. - The Linux User has to choose between literally hundreds of individual Distributions; and after that has to then consider at least a dozen different Desktop Environments before they get around to selecting which software to install.  Free(dom) of choice in both OS and software is a great concept for individual users, but disastrous for organisations that need consistency.

Developing software such as RM8 is, I'm sure, similarly fraught with issues, especially if you need to implement interface changes for new features (many of which users have demanded) and/or you decide to implement native operability across multiple operating systems; and develop an interface that can readily adapt to a running on a wide range of display systems from small screen laptops though to large screen/multi-monitor setups.  The design and functionality also needs to be attractive to new users, as well as satisfying existing users who may be discouraged if they feel the 'new' software is so different that they need to spend a vast amount of time learning how do things that they could previously do easily. - Think about the reaction to Windows 8 (without the traditional menu) combined with the introduction of software menu systems that were far better designed for tablet/touchscreen computers than they ever were for traditional laptops/desktops.  In addition, what would be the point of (re-)designing something that, on the surface, looks identical to what already exists or looks exactly the same as a competitor product?

I think you can guarantee one set of results when RM8 (or any other competitor product) is eventually released:

1. Some people will immediately love the new style.

2. Some people will immediately hate the new style.

3. Most users will probably give it a chance, providing it delivers clear improvements in what the software is expected to deliver, i.e. a reliable and effective way to record, analyse and report Family History research.

4. Some users will choose to stay with their existing software ( for an indefinite period), or move to another product.

5. Some new users will be attracted by a 'fresh' release and design and want to give it a chance.

6. If the expected/hoped for improvements aren't readily apparent to users the product will slowly die. - Think Word Perfect, Lotus 123 & DBase III if you're old enough to know what they were and how they dominated the market even at an eye-watering cost.

Mervyn

#96807 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by mjashby on 19 March 2020 - 09:06 AM in Discussion

Robert,

Linux Mint is derived (forked) from Ubuntu (which in turn was a fork of Debian) and primarily uses the Ubuntu repositories for software downloads and updates, so you should experience no particular problems.

My (current) preference(s) are Manjaro Linux (forked from Arch Linux), or OpenSuse, but its difficult to explain why, other than I seem to understand their Command Line structures better, e..g. Never got my head around 'apt-get' in Debian and its derivatives and always seem to forget the precise usage.

Mervyn

#96759 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by mjashby on 13 March 2020 - 09:32 AM in Discussion

@robertjacobs0

Not sure what 'flavour' of Linux you are considering using but, before going the route of virtualisation & Windows Licences, I would suggest you first try installing WINE in Linux which is much more straightforward (and far quicker) than installing and setting up a Virtual Machine.  Then it's a a straightforward process, these days, to install RootsMagic 7, as well as most Windows software that doesn't need the .NET Framework or have complex software dependencies.  After installing WINE from your Linux Distro's Software Repository and downloading a copy of the RootsMagic software, just double-click on the RootsMagic installer file exactly as you would in Windows and in 2/3minutes you should have a working setup. In my experience, most installation problems with WINE apps on Linux arise where there are program dependencies that the Windows installer itself doesn't automatically deal with, but most of these can be resolved with a a bit of 'detective' work.  Some widows software is of course incompatible with WINE, but again that's often down to the software developer having implemented some form of licensing/runtime 'protection' that prevents the software from running and/or makes 'strange' use of the Windows Registry. 

I've tested the RootMagic installation process experimentally in Linux Mint, Manjaro Linux and OpenSUSE (Virtual Machines on a MacBook Pro)) and didn't experience any problems.  However,, using a Virtual Machine approach you will need to set up shared folders, copy and paste etc.; and also get network shares working fully, between the Host Linux system and the Windows Virtual Machine, which itself will look for you to set aside around 40Gb of Hard Disk space if you choose to install Windows 10. And, of course, you will still need to deal with both Windows Updates and updates of the Virtualisation Software.

#96163 Rootsmagic crossover 64 bit version

Posted by mjashby on 20 December 2019 - 10:57 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

There seems to be some miss-understanding here.  GMP Developers are actually providing a fully 64-bit native MacOS version of their software, but MacOS will block normal installation because the developers are not recognised by Apple (i.e. similar to Windows UAC protection).  The reason is that the developers are 'not trusted' by Apple,  i.e. they are not Apple Certified as Authorised Developers and/or haven't paid for the required certification for this software.

The command they have posted has to be input by a System Administrator and 'chmod +x' is simply a UNIX (Linux) command line command which means install for all users, i.e. By using that command, the user is by-passing normal MacOS security measures and the 'user' is, in effect, stating that they trust the software source despite Apple's warning; and is taking full responsibility for installing the software; and for any 'problems' resulting from installing and/or running the software, e.g. if MacOS crashes or other problems/software conflicts arise following the installation of any untrusted software then don't expect any support from Apple with resolving the problem!

#95640 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by mjashby on 09 October 2019 - 06:00 AM in Discussion

Good post/email on no RM7 64 bit for catalina but only for osterich users unaware of this well know change.

]

I'm not sure that's accurate.  See - the variety of User Comments and experiences at the bottom of this post - http://osxdaily.com/...-now-available/

Personally, I see no difference between the approach of Apple and Microsoft to implementing change.  it's just down to individual user experience, preferences; and to some extent the available the cash to invest in IT hardware and software.  Users generally want continuous improvement, but tend to loath any change that requires them to work/think any differently.  Even more so if there is a real or perceived financial cost.  Not so long ago both MacOS and Windows Upgrades to the next version required an immediate financial investment. Those upgrades are currently 'free' to existing users but does anyone express any appreciation?

#95639 Adding Genesmarts to the RootsMagic Bottle

Posted by mjashby on 09 October 2019 - 05:32 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

If you have Crossover, the first step is to choose to install Gensmarts in the same 'Bottle' as RootsMagic.

Gensmarts 2 is supposed to work in Crossover, but haven't tried personally as I don't use that software. - https://www.codeweav...ver/gensmarts-2

#95638 RM and Catalina

Posted by mjashby on 09 October 2019 - 05:14 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

As far as I can see the only value in dual-booting Catalina (MacOS 10.15) and some earlier version of MacOS, unless you are a developer who needs to test software on multiple setups, would be if you have a need to continue running some native Mac 32-bit applications, not just Wine.apps.  Many users of older versions of MS Office for Mac and some Adobe Apps certainly face this issue. Otherwise, to me, it's a totally pointless exercise which takes up far too much Drive space as well as necessitating duplication of file systems, apps; and so also increasing the demand for multiple MacOS and app updates; plus the complication of backing up two completely separate sets of user data.

A much easier and far simpler option would be to install VirtualBox (free) and create a Windows Virtual Machine to run Windows software natively and create 'Folder Shares' so that both MacOS and Windows can share Hard Drive space. Free 90-day Evaluation (pre-prepared Virtual Machines) for all supported versions of Windows are available from Microsoft and so are ISO downloads for self installs whether or not have a useable Windows Product Key. I have not mentioned Parallels or VMWare because they are commercial products on MacOS and, in my experience, far more difficult to fully uninstall than VirtualBox when/if you want to rid yourself of them.

#95215 MacOS Users - MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) & Wine

Posted by mjashby on 11 September 2019 - 12:53 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

For those Mac Users running RootMagic, or any other Windows software, under 'Wine', i.e. a native Wine installation, Crossover, PlayOnMac, Wineskin etc.; for the latest developments on a solution for Apple's decision not to support (block) any 32-bit software running on it's next, 'Catalina'/MacOS 10.15, and future OS updates, please see this Codeweavers Blog post:

https://www.codeweav... ... dium=email

Codeweavers, the developers of Crossover, have the lead on developing the solution in partnership with the Wine Team, so other front end providers are dependent on their progress and the general advice is that if running Windows software under Wine is important/vital to you, then don't upgrade to Catalina/MacOS 10.5, which is now expected to be released in October, until a solution has been announced. Mac Crossover subscribers, it seems, will get a 3 month extension to their current subscription in recognition of the fact that the current version of their software will not be functional on Catalina, which could be an indicator of how much longer they expect it may take to get to a final release version of a working solution.

Unix Users of Wine/Crossover are not affected by this issue as, whilst some of the major developers have said that they will only be be releasing future OS upgrades as 64-bit, unlike Apple, they will not be removing the ability of their 64-bit OS releases to continue to run 32-bit code/software.

Mervyn

P.S. My understanding is that all Windows software running under Wine is/will be affected by this issue as even if '64-bit only' Windows applications usually contain some 32-bit code, e.g. the vast majority of Windows software make use of 32-bit installers to detect the capabilities of the Operating system and to set up the application correctly.

P.P.S. Personally, I have run RootsMagic on MacOS under Wine for more than 3 years and have never experienced any significant problems, but I don't rely on someone else's creation of Wine.apps.

#94862 Not optimised for Mac

Posted by mjashby on 21 August 2019 - 08:17 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Crossover can't provide an updated RootsMagic 7 package because there isn't yet a working solution for Apple's decision to prevent any software application that makes 32-bit system calls from running on 'Catalina Beta', or on the release version of Catalina which is still not due to land until late-September at the earliest.

The better way to keep a check on 'progress' would be to monitor relevant discussion threads on:

- the WineHQ Mac Forum - https://forum.winehq...ewforum.php?f=9  e.g. https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32590 

- the Crossover Mac Forum: https://www.codeweav.../general/?;t=27  e.g. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;msg=212891 

There simply is nothing the RootsMagic developers, or anyone else can do about RootMagic 7 until/unless an effective programming solution is found by Wine developers in partnership with Crossover and others, which simplistically means "A way of programatically convincing MacOS (Catalina and later) that it is running 64-bit processes when it isn't!".  And before anyone asks the obvious question. No, simply installing 32-bit Windows software in a 64-bit Wine Wrapper won't work because the resulting app still contains the essential 32-bit system calls, just as real Windows systems do, which is what the next MacOS version is/will be designed to recognise and prevent from running.  In contrast Microsoft has come out strongly against dropping the ability to run 32-bit software on 64-bit Windows systems; and major Linux developers, such as Ubuntu, have stated that, although they are unlikely to continue to release 32-bit builds of their future OS releases, they will continue to maintain their OS's ability to run 32-bit software.

Sorry to say this, but anyone running 'Catalina Beta' on a production system, i.e. a system which is required to work reliably and preserve user data securely, only has themselves to blame if any of their software no longer works, or if any data becomes corrupted, as Apple clearly advises beta users NOT to deploy Beta Versions on such systems.  I would extend that to anyone intending to install the release version of Catalina immediately on release really needs to think seriously about the potential impact if something goes belly up.  Thinking back, Mojave certainly wasn't an easy ride for many users and there have been continuing problems with far from perfect updates since its initial release.