robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 67 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 17-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#99056 Relationship calculation issue

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 21 March 2021 - 07:58 AM in Discussion

If I Recollect Correctly — always an issue at my age :)

#99039 Relationship calculation issue

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 13 March 2021 - 09:02 AM in Discussion

Excellent point, Jerry. I think it should also support relationships by marriage. The logic to do that may already exist in RM7, for one of the reports, I think. Why not include it? IIRC TMG & FH6 & have that feature.

#99032 Relationship calculation issue

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 11 March 2021 - 08:07 AM in Discussion

The relationships don't update automatically. Try invoking tools/set relationships and reset it to yourself.

#99006 Remove unknown spouse

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 17 February 2021 - 11:42 PM in Discussion

I seem to remember having the same problem. If I'm correct, I gave the unnamed person a name — I'm partial to Rumpelstiltskin — and was then able to delete her.

#98989 Lock or protect a file in RootsMagic

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 15 February 2021 - 10:19 AM in Discussion

I don't know if you can do anything about  it within RootsMagic, but you might try marking the file read-only. Right-click on the file name and select the properties sheet. The check-box for read-only is on one of the tabs.

RootsMagic tries to write the file out continuously and you may find that the program freezes as you try to inspect the data. In that case perhaps you best bet is to copy the files to some other location and mark them read-only there but don't mark the copies that RM uses.

#98949 Release Date for RM8

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 January 2021 - 11:50 AM in Discussion

I'd have called it a pious hope rather than a lie, albeit a disappointed hope.

It's clear that RM8 — to which I haven't committed myself yet for a variety of reasons — exists now, at least in embryo. Every three days or so there is new version. The program seems to be improving.

RootsMagic can properly be taxed with putting insufficient resources into programming RM8 and then with paying too much attention to the user interface and not enough to data manipulation.

Every "promise" for future action is contingent — inshallah, the creeks don't rise, etc.

#98931 Citing from personal knowledge RM7

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 January 2021 - 07:40 PM in Sentence and Source Templates

I like "Personal knowledge, RCJ" (RCJ are my initials). No repository needed. Obviously the line can be expanded should further explanation be useful.

#98774 RM8 Forum

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 01 January 2021 - 12:01 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

This is a bad decision, Renee. Not to put too fine  point on it, Facebook is useless for research and nearly useless for serious discussion. It's unclear why this forum is "a security risk." What's at risk? User names? The Facebook group suffers the same "risk." IIRC Facebook has been hacked several times.

No one is asking you to "move the forum" or to risk losing data. We only ask that you continue the bulletin board and open a new sub-forum for RM8.

Finally, it's coherent discussion, not screen shots, that are the virtue of a forum like this one. The most expert help from amongst your community is found here. IMO RootsMagic is making a big mistake.

#98773 Forum for RM8 Community Preview

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 01 January 2021 - 11:56 AM in Discussion

This is a bad decision, Renee. Not to put too fine  point on it, Facebook is useless for research and nearly useless for serious discussion. It's unclear why this forum is "a security risk." What's at risk? User names? The Facebook group suffers the same "risk." IIRC Facebook has been hacked several times.

No one is asking you to "move the forum" or to risk losing data. We only ask that you continue the bulletin board and open a new sub-forum for RM8.

Finally, it's coherent discussion, not screen shots, that are the virtue of a forum like this one. The most expert help from amongst your community is found here. IMO RootsMagic is making a big mistake.

Robert

#98763 Forum for RM8 Community Preview

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 01 January 2021 - 08:30 AM in Discussion

Completely agree — in fact it was requested last night on the wish list in this forum.

#98749 RM8 Forum

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 31 December 2020 - 11:18 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

A forum, or sub-forum, whatever you call it — like the RootsMagic 7 section.

#98747 RM8 Forum

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 31 December 2020 - 08:41 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Now that the community review version of RM8 is public — and the RM8 beta testers freed from the non-disclosure agreement — I would like to see an RM8 directory added to this community board.

Robert

#98670 RM7 under Windows 10-1909 starts to come up and then freezes

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 December 2020 - 08:30 PM in Issues

I bet that's it. I should have thought of it.

#98665 RM7 under Windows 10-1909 starts to come up and then freezes

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 December 2020 - 08:59 AM in Issues

I guess that's what I would try next — I expect you'll be wanting to change the name of the database back as well :)

#98663 RM7 under Windows 10-1909 starts to come up and then freezes

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 13 December 2020 - 11:09 PM in Issues

1. Change the filename of your default startup database by adding, say, an x before it. See if RootsMagic opens.

2. If no joy from number 1, I'd try uninstalling RM7, then reinstalling it. It might also be worthwhile to clean up your registry with the free version of CCleaner.

If #1 shows that the database has become corrupted then restore a backup — or  it may be that RootsMagic can recover some or all of it.

#98537 Possible bug in opening edit screen

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 22 November 2020 - 09:26 AM in Issues

Thank you, Kevin. You've established that it's working as designed.

I wonder whether it couldn't have been designed so that one could open the edit screen from either the index or the main screen view. I don't see a downside to that offhand — and it would certainly have been useful for a long tedious exhibit filename changing operation I'm having to conduct just now.

#98530 Possible bug in opening edit screen

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 21 November 2020 - 04:41 PM in Issues

1. Set the left hand column to "Index"

2. Select the "People" view on the main screen and choose a named group to display. Click on any member of the group.

3. Return to the index and double-click on any person who is NOT part of the named group.

The edit screen which opens is not the person on whom you double-clicked but the person worked on in the named group.

I think this is a bug; one should be able to open the edit screen of the person selected from the index.

#98519 RM Locking Up After Accessing FamilySearch

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 November 2020 - 08:07 AM in Issues

This may be a Windows problem rather than a RootsMagic problem. I've seen other programs lock up when an internet connection stalls. IIRC, the problem existed as far back as Windows Vista and can still bedevil one in Windows 10 (my present version). Task Manager won't always release the machine — on a few (rare) occasions I've had to reboot completely.

#98473 Sort by existence of media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 November 2020 - 12:26 PM in Discussion

Bless you. Of course I hadn't — I've been using RootsMagic since Version 6 and you'd think I'd have learned it by now. That's exactly what I need. Thanks so much.

Robert

#98470 Sort by existence of media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 November 2020 - 10:55 AM in Discussion

I have a largish named group of people. Some have exhibits attached, some do not. I would like to make of list of those that do. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to go about this.

Thanks!

#98421 Merging Place Details ..

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 November 2020 - 05:17 PM in Discussion

If I correctly understand what you need, the answer is yes. You can do it from Lists/Place List. You should be able to find all  three versions. Choose the one that's closest to what you finally hope for,  highlight it, and merge the other two into it. Then edit the result.

I would separate the cemetery name into "place details," but I believe there are several members of this list who don't care for the place details feature. You may hear from them as this post is read more widely. I don't recollect the details of the discussion.

#98335 where to put a life history

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 October 2020 - 05:12 PM in Discussion

You could also transcribe it and add it as a note or biography to her "edit person" sheet. I have "biography" as a fact, but I cannot recollect whether it was native to RM7 or if I added it myself.

#98285 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 10 October 2020 - 12:26 PM in Discussion

FWIW I too detest Facebook and hope that this forum continues to flourish.

#98279 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 09 October 2020 - 08:56 PM in Discussion

#98277 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 09 October 2020 - 01:32 PM in Discussion

Nothing for a few days, and a post I thought I'd put up in "Issues" seems to have disappeared. Anyone home?