robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 57 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 18-October 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95624 Wish list, multiple synchronous access

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 October 2019 - 08:01 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Thanks, Tom. And thanks so much for writing so many useful routines for the use of RM users.

#95613 Wish list, multiple synchronous access

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 07 October 2019 - 03:48 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Is it expected that RM8 will also be SQLite based?

#95554 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 04 October 2019 - 01:52 PM in Discussion

Isn't this a little silly? RootsMagic is castigated if they release nothing and again if they release some but not all, and still again if they don't adhere to a "schedule" established by the pace of their releases. They can't win.

That said, I've believed for years that software companies are insufficiently transparent regarding their plans. RootsMagic isn't alone in being secretive. It seems to be a shibboleth in the industry that disclosure will give competitors an advantage. Since that's the case, there little's point in inveighing against the practice and even less point in criticizing RM8 for its failings before we've seen it.

#95443 Index / Search needs retooling

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 26 September 2019 - 07:42 AM in Discussion

Did you check the index for the entries of people with missing surnames? RootsMagic, like every other genealogical program, would surely be making unwarranted -- and unwanted -- assumptions by assigning surnames automatically.

The father probably showed up on the pedigree screen as well.

I grant that single names are a problem; there are a few Native Americans in my wife's tree and I've entered their names as surnames. There may be other and better ways of dealing with those names, but I wouldn't expect much help or consistency from Ancestry trees in that regard.

#95442 Cleaning up TMG sources - post import

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 26 September 2019 - 07:31 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

I agree. I've thought -- going back to my TMG days -- that the distinction was artificial. It may have made more sense before Ancestry.com and other internet collections became the dominant research technique.

Similarly, while tracking repositories is suitable for identifying libraries, courthouses and the like, it doesn't really speak to the realities of internet research.

#95421 Cleaning up TMG sources - post import

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 September 2019 - 12:47 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I think the idea is that one would have a "source" -- say a book -- and that subsequent citations of it would only involve typing in a page number.That is, it was supposed to  be a time and effort saver. I fear that the source/citation bifurcation has mostly served to confuse thousands of people.

As I look at my own report footnotes I see that most of them can adequately guide researchers, but they are all higgledy-piggledy and inconsistent with one another.

#95349 Wish List - Alternate Names

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 20 September 2019 - 07:54 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

You can enter alternate names or spellings using the built-in "Alternate name" fact. By using the sort date feature the alternate(s) can display at any point on the edit person screen or in reports.

#95318 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 17 September 2019 - 07:33 AM in Discussion

I'm glad to learn that there will be words, and an option to abandon them and just show icons. However, my preference would be to bag the icons and just show text buttons. I hope it's not too late to offer this as an option. It should be a simple change.

I also hope it will be possible to show the icons/text horizontally at the top if the user so wishes.

#95058 7.6.1 freeze

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 August 2019 - 11:53 AM in Issues

I open RootsMagic 7.6.1, go to Tools/File Options/Ancestry and click on "Disconnect from Ancestry tree." RootsMagic locks up and I have to use the Task Manager to exit. The task manager reports "RootsMagic not responding." I'm actually not sure whether the Ancestry Tree is actually linked or not.

There's been so much trouble with Ancestry that I'm trying to disassociate RootsMagic completely from them although I plan to continue using Ancestry as a research tool.

#94670 TreeShare Freezes after recent Windows 10 MS update

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 07 August 2019 - 02:07 PM in Issues

Dear Rick,

I hope it isn't heresy to suggest that the best way to post your research on the web is to abandon Tree Share and use RootsMagic and GedSite together to put up the data in the form you prefer. Ancestry.com could still be used for research, of course. Ancestry Tree Share is rife with API problems, the necessity to bow to their formats, and constant repetitive web hints, many of which are duplicates, irrelevant, or just plain wrong.

It's only necessary to look at this forum's posts to see how much trouble Tree Share has caused and how much of your time and RM's time are wasted because of it.

#94371 Re-Linking Media Files Issue

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 06 July 2019 - 11:06 AM in Issues

I think it would be quite delightful if RM supported SQLite queries as plugins to the main RM user interface. It would solve just so many problems.

Jerry

Amen, brother.

#94325 Order of items in Media Album

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 01 July 2019 - 08:33 AM in Discussion

Got it! Thanks so much.

#94309 Order of items in Media Album

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 June 2019 - 11:51 AM in Discussion

Is there a way to sort or change the order of items in the Media album?

#94221 Lock the 'Wish List' to further entries until after the release of RM8

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 June 2019 - 01:57 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

>>>I believe you are refering to Famiy Historian<<<

Yes, of course. If their next version comes out soon and they have fixed that particular deficiency I'm going to have to make a difficult decision. The absence of italics, in particular, was a deal-breaker for me.

#94218 Lock the 'Wish List' to further entries until after the release of RM8

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 June 2019 - 10:56 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

If I'm not mistaken, one of our competitors publishes a lits showing how many of their users have asked for each particular change. One of that program's deficiencies IMO is the want of bold, italic & underlining in the printed reports. Last time I looked that enhancement was very high on the list of desirable changes. Were I using that program I would be confident that the programmers would be considering the change seriously.

I'd like to see the RM8 wish list similarly set up. Users would be given a greater sense of participation and I cannot see that the company would be risking anything by the disclosure of what users are hoping for.

#94144 RM7 Slowing down

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 09 June 2019 - 07:48 AM in Discussion

The load on the CPU is sometimes very high when the computer is just booting up and for a few moments afterward. does the slowdown occur after the machine is up for a while as well as when you're just starting?

The Windows task manager can show you the percentages of CPU times that are used by each of the running processes.

#94115 Best practice for documenting travel abroad

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 06 June 2019 - 08:01 AM in Discussion

I've sometimes used "Psgr List" and "Psgr List (fam)" for this purpose. My memory has become so bad that I don't recollect whether that's a custom fact or if it was built-in.

#94063 Inaccurate Sorting of Estimated Dates - Sort is skewed

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 01 June 2019 - 09:16 PM in Issues

I too agree with Vyger's logic, but given that the user can set the sort date to the midpoint of two two end dates if desired, I wouldn't delay the release of RM8 by one microsecond for the proposed change.

Wherever the sort date is set, either by RM or by the user, the date itself will be displayed as entered.

In my own records (between 5800 and 5900 people, n=5851 :) ), a quick and dirty survey shows fewer than five "between x and y" sort dates which would materially affect the order of events in print reports or on my GedSite web site.

#93949 RM7 AND ANCESTRY

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 18 May 2019 - 08:19 AM in Discussion

GedSite, to make presentation-grade websites, either for the net or for buring to CDs or flash drives. www.gedsite.com.

#93880 when a record is wrong.

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 12 May 2019 - 04:23 PM in Discussion

Orthography was not a primary concern for the immigrant generations. Moreover, immigrant Jews from Eastern Europe had only had names on the Western pattern since 1800 or 1810 when the Tsar promulgated a decree requiring that they adopt them. The decree's purpose was to regularize tax collection and military conscription.

Before that decree most Jewish names within the Pale, except perhaps for the most prominent Rabbinic families, were of the form x ben y: Isaac, son of David, etc.

An important tradition of Jewish naming is that an infant not be named after a close living relative. Thus family names tend to skip a generation — children often named after deceased grandparents for example.

#93874 Javascript & Website Tree

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 11 May 2019 - 09:25 PM in Discussion

That's a great site, Jerry. It should appeal to the more serious and scrupulous genealogists among us. As you've seen, I went in a different direction, in part because I felt the site had to appeal to my more elderly users, many of whom were not as much interested in documents as they were in pictures and stories. Now I've gotten into the more elderly class myself I wonder if I made the right choice.

Very nice work! Please accept my congratulations.

Robert

#93834 Convict indents

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 May 2019 - 07:46 PM in Sentence and Source Templates

What is a "convict ident?"

#93822 FGS 2019 in Washington, D.C.

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 07 May 2019 - 08:16 AM in General Messages

Will there be a demo or preview of Version 8?

#93795 How to record details of a person e.g. height

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 06 May 2019 - 09:31 AM in Discussion

I seem to have  "description" in my fact list, but I don't recollect whether it was built in or if I made it as a custom fact. Either way, you could use it and edit the sentence template to suit the information you hope to record.

The template in my machine is "[person] was described as [Desc]< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>."

#93791 Installing & running RM from external hard drive

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 05 May 2019 - 01:37 PM in Discussion

In order to have the program run correctly from the external drive it would have to be installed in Windows anyway. Some program data (not your data) is held in the Windows registry and in C\Users\[your username]\Roaming. So you might as well have the program installed on your machines in its entirety and just move your data back and forth (or otherwise synchronize it).

Zhangrau is correct -- Windows is inflexible if it can't find what it expects.

There are some stand-alone programs (usually utilities like Autoruns.exe) which do not require Windows installation. RootsMagic to Go may partially do what you suggest (I'm not at all familiar with it), but I seem to remember that it doesn't provide the full RootsMagic facilities.