MansfieldTerrier's Content

There have been 44 items by MansfieldTerrier (Search limited from 19-July 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#75361 Family Search Person tool needing login??

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 28 November 2015 - 03:19 AM in Issues

Thanks for you help .... I wish I didn't have to purchase another version of it in order to use everything I had already paid for.  Maybe they should just switch to annual licenses if customers are going to have to pay again and again anyways.

Yup.

Stuffed again. :(

#75360 WebSearch option not working properly

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 28 November 2015 - 03:18 AM in Issues

OK.

Forget this.

Just seen that it no longer works as support ceased as of 30th July 2015.

Thanks a bunch RM. :(

#75359 WebSearch option not working properly

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 28 November 2015 - 03:14 AM in Issues

And ... clicking on the little LDS symbol to check for the FamilySearch Person Tools now requires a password but refuses to accept the u-name and password that I know are definitely correct.

What's gone wrong?

#75358 WebSearch option not working properly

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 28 November 2015 - 03:12 AM in Issues

Oh dear!

And now the WebSearch facility won't work with FamilySearch.

This is the screen that greets me when I try it.

Untitled_zps69xnaifd.jpg

If it's of any help I have recently upgraded my Windows 10 with the first major upgrade.

Any ideas please?

#74847 Scarpbook not including photos from events

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 23 October 2015 - 07:55 AM in Discussion

Yes, Laura, I think we might have cracked this one; thank you!

I've now gone through a few people's media files and where a picture appears as an event (marriage, birth, etc.) or a residence, I've also tagged it to the person and - BINGO! - it appears in the scrapbook.

There's an awful lot of people still to wade through though.

Ho-hum!

#74844 Scarpbook not including photos from events

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 23 October 2015 - 05:30 AM in Discussion

Well, the title of the thread says it all.

I have the necessary box ticked in the dialogue box before hitting 'Generate Report' but I do not get any pictures relating to marriage, residence, etc., just those allotted to the person.

What am I not doing?

This is driving me crackers!

#74643 RootsMagic Forums not playing well with Win 10 or something

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 09 October 2015 - 08:54 AM in General Messages

Yes, Renee, that's what I'd done.

Still asked for permission though.

We'll see what happens in future ;)

#74638 RootsMagic Forums not playing well with Win 10 or something

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 09 October 2015 - 04:44 AM in General Messages

I was having all kinds of freezing problems with my browsers after upgrading to Windows 10. Did a speed test and it reported the correct upload and download speeds I was paying for. I thought I figured out it was the Flash plugin in Chrome as the issue, but it started up again freezing on me.

Finally, I figured it out it was Windows 10 default setting "Windows Update Delivery Optimization" (WUDO). It was taking my network bandwidth and sharing it with other Windows 10 users around the internet so they can receive Windows updates. I closed that down and my computer is back to its normal speed again. Not freezing my browser at all. They say its not suppose to be slowing your computer down because it uses idle time. When I'm on my computer I'm using the internet all the time, there is no idle time. The only one idling was me waiting for things to load. Try turning that feature off and see if things improve. 

http://thehackernews...-10-update.html

Now then.

Did this yesterday and all seems to be going well.

However ... does this mean that I now have to manually install any updates from MS?

The reason why I ask is that I have just had a notification that there are updates to install but the system can't do it without my permission.

I've never had this before.

Oh, and another tiny issue!
The 'quote' button never works first time; I have to go back to the relevant post and click the button a second time before it appears in my reply.

Not a major issue, I know, but nevertheless it's another glitch that simply shouldn't be there.

#74637 How do I start

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 09 October 2015 - 02:36 AM in Discussion

One of the most important decisions you will have to make when using Roots Magic is how you plan to organize your research source documentation.  Documentation is very important. Without it genealogy is just "family legend."  Roots Magic has tremendous facilities for encouraging good documentation. There are three layers: Master Source Templates (the patterns used to create master source references.), Master Sources (reusable references to sources like books, cemetery records, etc) and Source Citations (the actual reference to the page in the book, which gets attached to Facts).  However, the system Roots Magic uses encourages an extreme version of source splitting. For instance, the master source templates for the US census encourage you to create a new master source for every county for each year of the census. For a large database, this could mean that you would have tens of thousands of master sources, just for the US census. Similarly, Roots Magic would have you create a new master source for every document (e.g. birth certificate, will, etc.) Since the source manager has a simple flat table structure, this would be completely unmanageable. So, your first decision should be how you will go about tailoring the master source templates to align with your documentation needs. 

Another decision you will need to make is how to enter geographic locations. My suggestion is to just follow the default. I personally only use the city, county & state in the US and city & county in UK, leaving off the "United States" and "United Kingdom" but this has some side effects. 

What do you do when you only know a woman's married name? As far as I know, there is no standard for how to enter this. In genealogy you normally refer to women by their maiden names, but what if you don't know it? I personally prepend an asterisk to the last name (e.g. *Smith) other people do other things. 

Try not to fight with the program. Learn how it works and go with the system as best you can. It's like using a word processor. If you try to use it as a typewriter, you will be constantly frustrated.  Only when you learn how to use it as it was intended to be used can you see the advantages.  Start off with a small database of under 100 people Try using all the features to see how they work. If something does not seem to work right, go back and figure out what you are doing that it confusing the system. 

This is an excellent suggestion and one which I will now employ.

Certainly beats having a lot of women belonging to the ever-increasing 'Unknown' family! :D

#74628 RootsMagic Forums not playing well with Win 10 or something

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 08 October 2015 - 11:07 AM in General Messages

"In Edge only Right-Click-Paste work."

Correct.

#74623 RootsMagic Forums not playing well with Win 10 or something

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 08 October 2015 - 09:34 AM in General Messages

Right - some good news, some bad ...

The good news is that it most definitely seems faster and I haven't managed to freeze a screen since making the change. :D

However ... I still get an error report when trying to click on latest posts in the 'submenu' for each forum, i.e. the RM6 subforum.

And I still can't paste text into a post. :(

#74622 WebSearch option not working properly

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 08 October 2015 - 09:21 AM in Issues

Shareable CD problem ironed-out.

It's a good fix that .REG file! :)

#74621 RootsMagic Forums not playing well with Win 10 or something

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 08 October 2015 - 09:14 AM in General Messages

Thanks for the tip from hackernews, Renee; I've made the necessary alteration.

Now let's see if it makes this forum any easier to use ...

#74616 RootsMagic Forums not playing well with Win 10 or something

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 08 October 2015 - 04:45 AM in General Messages

Now that you mention it, yes - I've had problems with pasting text too.

And the page freezes when I try to type.

Occasionally hitting f5 or the refresh button on 'Edge' alleviates the problem, but it's far from certain.

I often have to re-start the site from scratch.

#74613 RootsMagic Forums not playing well with Win 10 or something

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 08 October 2015 - 02:25 AM in General Messages

IE11 fails (for me):

-YES to the above (links in email notifications fail)
-AND resulting links from the Forum search (upper right corner) results

(it may be the findpost part of the URL parameters that is failing)

Actually, yes - I have BOTH of these issues too.

I'm using W10 with their built-in browser, The Edge.

Also noticed that in the link provided by email, such as this ...

http://forums.rootsm...view=getnewpost

... if I knock off the ?view=getnewpost extension then the forum will at least open up.

Something to ponder upon for the mods/tecchies?

#74607 Scrapbook issues

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 07 October 2015 - 07:57 AM in Discussion

Just to let the Community know that I finally solved this problem a couple of weeks ago.

Whilst I had made a point of adding a date in the correct box for every picture, I was struggling to reorganise them chronologically on a scrapbook page.

What I had neglected to do was click on that person's 'Media' tab, then 'Tools' and from there 'Rearrange media items' and thence 'Sort by date'.

Easy when you know how!

MT ;)

#74605 Windows 10

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 07 October 2015 - 04:27 AM in Discussion

The .REG file fix has sorted out both the WebSearch issue and also the pictures not showing up on shareable CDs.

My grateful thanks go to all of those who took the time to reply to my posts.

#74604 RootsMagic Forums not playing well with Win 10 or something

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 07 October 2015 - 04:25 AM in General Messages

The only problem that I have with the forums is that when I click on email links to replies in threads the computer now says

"Hmmmm ... We can't reach this page. Try this

Make sure you’ve got the right URL: http://forums.rootsmagic.com

#74603 Creating a shareable CD - pictures?

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 07 October 2015 - 04:23 AM in Issues

BINGO!

The .REG file has fixed this bug as well as the WebSearch issue.

My grateful thanks to all those who took the time to post replies.

#74602 WebSearch option not working properly

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 07 October 2015 - 03:51 AM in Issues

Yep! That's it!

The.REG file has certai​nly fixed the WebSearch facility. :)

Now to check the Shareable CD issue ...

#74592 WebSearch option not working properly

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 06 October 2015 - 02:20 PM in Issues

Yes, last time I looked I fell just outside the date for a free upgrade.
The Law of Sod strikes again! :)

#74589 Windows 10

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 06 October 2015 - 01:49 PM in Discussion

Ah-ha!
This looks like the problem that I mentioned in another thread (in re: websearch not working on RM6 in W10)
I wish that I'd stumbled across this thread earlier!

#74588 Creating a shareable CD - pictures?

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 06 October 2015 - 01:44 PM in Issues

The desktop version works perfectly well and I have no issues with the pictures therein.
No little red 'x's and all photos/images display correctly.

#74587 WebSearch option not working properly

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 06 October 2015 - 01:42 PM in Issues

Thanks kbens0n - I'll give that link a try tomorrow when the PC is switched on.
As for upgrading to RM7 I'd be rather ticked-off if that's the solution as I only bought RM6 just over a year ago and it will cost me nearly as much again to upgrade.

#74579 Creating a shareable CD - pictures?

Posted by MansfieldTerrier on 06 October 2015 - 10:05 AM in Issues

Hi all

I am able to use RM6 on W10 to create shareable discs with no major problems. The process whirrs away quite happily, presenting no error messages or suchlike and then ejects the discs upon completion.

However, when I then test said disc, not all of the pictures 'show up'.

They ARE there because I can see little picture icons and if I then double-click on them they do appear.

But surely this isn't what is meant to happen?

Surely all photos/pictures should be visible as I open up each person's details and photograph sources, yes?

Clicking on the Media Gallery presents the same problem - row upon row of picture icons, but no pictures unless I double-click each one and then it reverts to the icon once I close it.

I should say at this point that it's not EVERY picture that fails like these, as a few do appear every time.

I find this frustrating as I am passing these discs out to family and have to explain all the time that the pictures ARE there, but need to be 'encouraged' to appear.​