lighthouse's Content

There have been 14 items by lighthouse (Search limited from 10-July 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#97675 Print a report

Posted by lighthouse on 06 July 2020 - 05:48 AM in Discussion

It means that something has killed your print spooler process.

Usually solved by a complete shutdown and restart of your computer.

Thanks Bob, as when I opened the computer today it was fixed. Any idea the cause of this?

#97669 Print a report

Posted by lighthouse on 05 July 2020 - 04:26 AM in Discussion

When I go to print any report I get a system error Code 1722, the RPC server is unavailable.

What does this mean??

#97448 New Database - Groups & Facts

Posted by lighthouse on 04 June 2020 - 04:43 PM in Discussion

I'm under a confidentiality agreement and can only confirm what has been stated publicly on RM8. So, I am unable to comment on this. In the video below you can see blank groups being created. Using Drag n Drop, etc has not been publicly discussed.

RootsMagic 8 Preview - People Page

07:58 Groups

https://youtu.be/NMUD4yAOvZI

Renee thanks for replying, I understand but please put it on the wish list as I would hate having to rebuild the groups again.

Regards Colin

#97446 New Database - Groups & Facts

Posted by lighthouse on 04 June 2020 - 06:18 AM in Discussion

Renee, I only dragged my file into a blank file last night, and after my work for the last 8 hours today found that the groups were empty and found this message....woe. Has Bruce found a way to overcome this in 8 or am I to stay on 7???/

Renee, as there has been no answer to my post, is it an 8 secret???

#97443 Groups

Posted by lighthouse on 03 June 2020 - 05:59 PM in Issues

You can submit a ticket but we would still need to know if you are working with a group that you recently created or one that could have potentially been left blank at some point in the past. Try creating a new group to replace the one that the person is not saving in. You can color-code all the people in the current group to use that as a filter in adding to the new group. You may wish to do this with all your groups to rule out any issue with groups that may have been left blank at some point. 

Renee this was a group created a long time ago that had others in the group already.

I have created a new group and shifted all the people into the new group and the original person is included and holding.

Will watch in future to make sure it does not happen again.

Regards Colin

#97436 Groups

Posted by lighthouse on 03 June 2020 - 05:01 AM in Issues

Renee thanks for the reply. This group has others listed in it. I have used the data base tools but this does not fix the problem even after shutting down the program. I have just tried to add another person with the results of not being able to add to the list.

I even downloaded the program again but still no change.

But after doing all the above steps again it has corrected it self

Regards Colin

Renee this problem has returned.

I added an existing person in my tree to an existing group where there are several people already on this group. After going back to check he was not linked to the group. I carried out all of the previous things like reloading Roots magic, Data base tools, backup, close program, but still will not accept adding this person to the group.

Something must be causing this problem and I now wonder how many others are not listed to groups where I have added them.

This is what I do.

click on the person

open edit person

click on groups, this opens quick groups

tick the group I want to attach this person to

click ok

close edit person file

click on groups above index

click on the group........he is not there ??????

#97435 Groups

Posted by lighthouse on 03 June 2020 - 03:40 AM in Issues

Renee thanks for the reply. This group has others listed in it. I have used the data base tools but this does not fix the problem even after shutting down the program. I have just tried to add another person with the results of not being able to add to the list.

Regards Colin

#97320 New Database - Groups & Facts

Posted by lighthouse on 23 May 2020 - 04:01 AM in Discussion

You will have to recreate your groups. You could make a To-Do Item for that person and list all the groups you have for him. Then drag n drop then into a new database and make sure you create and add all the groups for them. You can import Research Logs and To-Do Items into a new database if you want to import that instead of a person. 

There is an issue with creating blank groups that is on the development list. Granted that needs to be fixed, but right now you wouldn't want to create a bunch of blank groups just to have the list. When you make a group you want to have at least one person it in.

Renee, I only dragged my file into a blank file last night, and after my work for the last 8 hours today found that the groups were empty and found this message....woe. Has Bruce found a way to overcome this in 8 or am I to stay on 7???/

#97106 Groups

Posted by lighthouse on 24 April 2020 - 03:00 PM in Issues

Regards Colin

#97091 Groups

Posted by lighthouse on 24 April 2020 - 01:22 AM in Issues

When you click on a group and add a person then click ok and close the persons file, why is it happening that when you go back to that person it is not clicked onto the group even when you do this several times

However when you create a new group and add the same person it works

#96985 Dark theme for RM

Posted by lighthouse on 13 April 2020 - 04:36 AM in Discussion

Mervyn, I agree, this is not the place to waste time on who has the best OS.Firstly you buy what is affordable at the time and what you are a regular user of.

I also agree with the 6 points above.

However when RM 8 is released it will be to most genealogy researchers a welcomed update I am sure. Sometimes I feel no matter which program we have or use, we are only using a small amount of the features anyway. That applies to any computer program. Also it would not be possible to satisfy all, all of the time with any program update.

#96121 Slow to open

Posted by lighthouse on 16 December 2019 - 04:08 PM in Discussion

Use the Windows Task Manager to see what is competing for CPU, memory, disk access. Click on the header to sort by the parameter. My guess is your system is busy doing something else. Could be an anti-virus program vetting your database file with every write to it.

Tom thanks for the reply. Maybe I should keep an eye on Win 10 Defender Antimalware Service Executable in the future.

I think it may have been something attached to a software update like Java (that's not needed) that the computer wanted to download. I deleted the download and it seems to have solved the problem.

Sorry for my double posting here. Merry Christmas to all.

#96103 Slow to open

Posted by lighthouse on 16 December 2019 - 01:05 AM in Discussion

What would be causing a persons file details to take a long time to open when I double click on the person file in family view. This has only started over the last few days.

#95912 Release Date for RM8

Posted by lighthouse on 13 November 2019 - 10:05 PM in Discussion

It was nice to read the blog entry but people do need to be aware that the RM4 teasing of features lasted 8 months, I would still not be expecting a release until late 2019.

The company has faced sereral challenges I was not fully aware of, I do hope Bruce gets a chance to go back to those roots and engage more fully with the customer base, if thats even possible in todays online world.

If you read the e mail received today RM8 will be a 2020 model. Blog said look at the 30 min video about RM8 but video was not attached.

However I edit this post and I advise that I have looked around the internet and found a RM blog site that has the video.Go have a look