Lineka's Content

There have been 3 items by Lineka (Search limited from 20-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#92422 Which file/database to use?

Posted by Lineka on 12 January 2019 - 06:56 PM in Discussion

https://postimg.cc/yDN86Lf3

#92405 Which file/database to use?

Posted by Lineka on 11 January 2019 - 07:06 PM in Discussion

Thank you both. I tried the drag and drop, thought that would work great as I was to understand it, but ended up with doubles, triples, etc. of almost everyone.

John, you understood me correctly and if I could insert a screen shot here I could show you two my dilemma.  At this point I am deleting all databases and backups that are over a year old,  as well as extra databases of the same families.  I've been focused on one particular tree this past week and entered a LOT of info. As far as connecting with Ancestry and Family Search, I'll pass. As I thought, it only adds to the confusion.

I thought keeping each side of the family within their own database would be less confusing, but, as you said, John, that is not the case.

#92400 Which file/database to use?

Posted by Lineka on 11 January 2019 - 03:13 PM in Discussion

I have ended up with 3+ files/databases for each of the four different family trees plus I've added even more since incorporating Ancestry. I'm finding I've entered information into one or another of the files/databases basically scattering the info. I am so confused!!!!

How do I keep and merge the info from all of them into one main database, one for each family tree? (Does this make sense?)  How to best prevent choosing the wrong database and causing this problem again? Do I delete old rmgc "duplicate" databases?

I've read through the book as well as watched several webinars and this particular problem of mine doesn't seem to be addressed.

(I apologize if I've not explained this very well)

Linda the newbie