Trebor22's Content

There have been 65 items by Trebor22 (Search limited from 21-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95365 Data Sharing

Posted by Trebor22 on Today, 07:12 AM in Discussion

I was pointed to this site when talking about exchanging data between programmes in another thread -

https://github.com/OpenGenOrg/rosetta    unfortunately there does not seem to be any recent progress.

#95346 TreeShare failure to transfer media attached to source citation

Posted by Trebor22 on Yesterday, 06:28 AM in Discussion

I should have been clearer in that I  expect 32 & 64 bit versions of RM8 for Windows, still a lot of older  PC's out there who's users might want to buy (or have perhaps already pre bought?) a copy of RM8,  but I take your point Jerry and in truth I will most likely only ever use a 64 bit copy, but there may still be one or two users out there who will be disappointed.

#95342 TreeShare failure to transfer media attached to source citation

Posted by Trebor22 on 19 September 2019 - 11:28 AM in Discussion

The RM7 software is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 7\ because it's a 32  bit application. RM8 will be installed in C:\Program Files\RootsMagic 8 because it will be a 64  bit application. Well, I assume the lowest level folder name will be RootsMagic 8, but it has to be a folder under Program Files rather than under Program Files (x86) because it's 64 bit. So there is no conflict with the software installation.

Are we sure yet that RM8 for Windows will be 64bit only?     Windows 10 32 bit  still seems to be supported, I just sort of assumed there would be versions for both depending on your OS?

#95320 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by Trebor22 on 17 September 2019 - 07:51 AM in Discussion

Left sidebar is a common feature on many modern genealogy programs and leaves the top row available for the standard mac menu items and a row of icons. It is great that you can collapse it once you learn the icons and use only a thin strip of the screen.

I've only had a quick glance at the blog post but of course noticed the left side bar, my 1st impression was that it is a little like the latest version of Gramps, perhaps this is a trend forming?

#95073 Wish List - Source Privatization Option

Posted by Trebor22 on 31 August 2019 - 10:13 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I too would like to see this!

I have wished for an option to exclude media from output, both would be very useful :-)

#94803 Management of Certificates

Posted by Trebor22 on 18 August 2019 - 02:26 AM in Discussion

On a side note, I've not yet linked the scans of certificates I have to the database at the moment. I wanted to ensure that I created a stable/organised file structure for everything I was going to add by way of certificates - directory for Birth, Bann, Education, Marriage, Death certificates etc etc.

As I mentioned above RM does not presently allow you to select which images are exported or published if for example you create an online tree, website or book and there may be copyright issues to consider, I too have Scottish ancestry so am mindful of the restrictions ScotlandsPeople places on reproduction of their images, and sadly this has been a consideration in which certificates I link directly to the database and which I just transcribe.

I too like to create a full picture of individuals and also add lots of 'extra images' to peoples records, it all adds to their story :-)

#94761 Management of Certificates

Posted by Trebor22 on 15 August 2019 - 04:52 AM in Discussion

I too am keen to fill in many of those missing certificates and doing so where I can but without breaking the bank!

I think there may be a side point about media exist / not exist searches, I have lots attached as you would expect but in some cases I have a document but its not attached to the database because I believe I don't have permission to publish it - I gather a 'tick box' to include or exclude individual  media items in any export is on the enhancement list - so the suggested searches might not work as I would want at present but perhaps that wished for tick box will surface in RM8?

Its another area where I need to improve my recording but a little bit of help from RM would be nice as well :-)

#94759 RM8 and Linux Wine/Crossover

Posted by Trebor22 on 15 August 2019 - 01:55 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Linux was touched on in this thread http://forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/19033-rootsmagic-linux/?hl=linux  including a note of somebody using RM under Linux / Wine

#94717 Sentence Syntax Help Please

Posted by Trebor22 on 12 August 2019 - 10:43 AM in Discussion

I fully echo Jerry's enthusiasm for GedSite.  I have tried many times to use RM's built-in webite generators but - even with my (admittedly limited!) abilities with HTML - I have not found them capable of producing satisfactory results.  GedSite works very well with RM files and produces a range of different pages that can be customised to suit different needs.  The help facility gives useful assistance and guidance and there are a number of example sites to give a flavour of what can be done.  That said, many like me, will benefit from careful attention to that help and some experimentation to achieve the look you want.  I have found that this is the most satisfactory way to produce a readily usable (and easily update-able) output of your genealogical data (which can incorporate images and other media items) - either as a website or for distribution on a USB drive.

Perhaps RM8 will eventually incorporate similar functionality.  But, rather than reinvent the wheel, it would probably be better ensure  close compatibility between the two products.

I'm sure somebody will correct this if wrong but I'm under the impression RM is dropping website creation (in RM8 ?) except on its own servers, so compatibility with 3rd party products would seem to be the best option for the foreseeable future.

#94614 Noting parents who raised as well as biological parents

Posted by Trebor22 on 02 August 2019 - 04:00 AM in Discussion

Thank you for the Gedcom info KFN, nice to know its supported, I guess the next step is a few trials on a test database as time permits, it would be nice to improve my records in this area!

#94611 Noting parents who raised as well as biological parents

Posted by Trebor22 on 01 August 2019 - 12:35 PM in Discussion

Hi Jerry

Thank you for you detailed thoughts! I kind of thought there would have to be pitfalls (as there is with my current approach) so there is a lot to consider but I would like to improve on my current approach, so this is a good prompt to re look at things.

I also have situations relating to informal and formal adoption, name changes, child keeping birth name or even switching between to two, seemingly at random!

Our ancestors had so little consideration for those who now  record their lives :-)

#94607 Noting parents who raised as well as biological parents

Posted by Trebor22 on 01 August 2019 - 08:02 AM in Discussion

Interesting subject, I have several instances of individuals raised by relations, grandparents for example, I have addressed this with 'notes' rather than adding extra set of parents, most were added before I used RM and I am aware my current approach needs improvement!

Does  adding extra parents 'pass well' through gedcom? Are there problems with adding grandparents (or aunt / uncle) as extra parent?

#94547 Married name list

Posted by Trebor22 on 24 July 2019 - 09:53 AM in Discussion

Is GBP = Great Britain Pound ?

Yes!      - a recent and I would say a very welcome change to the price of a will.

#94469 Cannot open certain RMGC files

Posted by Trebor22 on 12 July 2019 - 06:34 AM in Issues

Since I posted my last message, I researched the OneDrive situation a little bit more. It first appeared in Windows 8 in 2015. But Windows 8 was very unsuccessful and I personally never installed it, holding out for something better. I only moved to Windows 10 about a year ago, and for whatever reason I only noticed  that OneDrive wasn't keeping files locally until three or four months ago. I've been phasing it out ever since. Of course, OneDrive is a part of a larger Microsoft strategy that I totally disagree with. Namely, put all your data in OneDrive and put OneDrive clients on all your devices. OneDrive of course is built in to Windows itself. Thus all your data is in OneDrive and isn't really on any of your devices. It's AVAILABLE to all your devices but it's not really ON any of your devices.

I think OneDrive was around before Win 8 / 2015 in the guise of SkyDrive but I seem to remember MS renamed it (perhaps because of clash with Sky?) and in the beginning you didn't need to install anything (and I think that's still the case?) you  just log in from your browser and use if that's what you prefer.

Like others mentioned it works as I expect it to, I use it to keep some files available anywhere, collaborate with others and on odd occasions when I have been away from home  backup files from my laptop. Its never been part of my home backup strategy.

One current negative, when first launched it came with 25GB of free storage but has been cut back to just 5 last time I looked :-(

I'm not keen on a lot of what MS has been doing but happy with OneDrive :-)

#94468 Can I get a report on which individuals have WebHints from FindMyPast?

Posted by Trebor22 on 12 July 2019 - 05:41 AM in Discussion

I was under the impression you can still get hints with just the 'free account' so you could perhaps 'pay per view' for the odd hint if that is cheaper? however I have not tested this!

Notes on the free account - https://www.findmypa...st-subscription

#94390 Funeral Attendees

Posted by Trebor22 on 07 July 2019 - 07:29 AM in Discussion

US centic because of the practice of publishing obituaries and funerals in newspapers which were used to inform the public at large.

I have found a number of newspaper articles in the UK listing funeral attendees or at least some of them, might be hard to tell if a complete list,  and some guest lists at weddings - all late-ish 19th century or  early 20th

#94308 Sharing database with Mac user

Posted by Trebor22 on 30 June 2019 - 07:19 AM in Discussion

If its just about 'sharing the info' rather than giving them a copy of the database to play with  then html is an option, on CD or via a cloud share (perhaps as an ISO) should be usable on most operating systems.

#94272 Splitting a Database

Posted by Trebor22 on 22 June 2019 - 06:52 AM in Discussion

Groups do not update automatically if you add new people to your database who should be in the group. So you will periodically need to refresh your groups by running doing an Edit instead of a New on the groups to specify your marking criteria again. RM's users have much wished for a more automated way to refresh groups after adding people to your database.

Jerry

If Groups worked well / as it should it might overcome one of my problems with a 'single database' - if its a 'problem solved' in RM8 I will look at it again :-)

#94254 Release Date for RM8

Posted by Trebor22 on 20 June 2019 - 01:05 AM in Discussion

Perhaps to cut down on the 'waiting time' were going to skip RM8 and go straight to RM9 :D

Joking aside sure it will be good news!

#94233 Splitting a Database

Posted by Trebor22 on 18 June 2019 - 09:25 AM in Discussion

I guess I'm one of the few as I have kept my databases separate and this was particularly useful when my wife retired  as she just took over 'her databases' that I had been researching. I find it easier to concentrate on the individual lines and a 'test combine' I tried a few years was a backward step for me and I gave up on it. 'Separate' all seems much clearer and easier to me.

If separate databases work for you i would say go with it   :-)

#94209 Lock the 'Wish List' to further entries until after the release of RM8

Posted by Trebor22 on 14 June 2019 - 04:40 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

In my view the current wish list is past its sell by date and I agree it would be a good idea to lock it.

A new and improved one for RM8 - voting for features is an appealing idea :-)

#93935 RM7 AND ANCESTRY

Posted by Trebor22 on 17 May 2019 - 11:20 AM in Discussion

To me, this raises for the umpteenth time a genealogy issue I think about a lot. Namely, should you expect and require your main genealogy software to be extremely comprehensive in meeting all your needs, or rather should you expect to use a variety of outboard tools such as FTA to supplement your main genealogy software? Or more specifically, exactly what should you expect from your main genealogy software?

Jerry

When I started out, now more than 20 years ago I did expect one piece of software to 'do it all' but experience has shown me that's more a dream than reality (perhaps RM 8 will prove me wrong). That said I also think its sometimes nice to use other programmes, it keeps me aware of what is out there, often just does what I want where RM did not, and sometimes makes me think about things in a different way, which can be good! It was  mentioned recently on the forum about RM websites, I think RM is rather dated in this respect and likely heading in the wrong direction, so using a 3rd party utility is for me a simple solution,  I also use a word processor for some of my writing, can I ever expect RM to be as good as Word or LibreOffice?

I think the nearest a programme might come to meeting all my needs (and or doing things in the way I want) would be to allow 3rd party 'add ons' - (as some programmes do - eg Gramps & FH) the community can then take a stab at filling in some of the gaps.

All that said RM8 may still be my programme of choice when its released, after all none of the competition is perfect, its our choice where we spend our cash :-)

#93898 Date Formatting

Posted by Trebor22 on 14 May 2019 - 12:08 PM in Discussion

By the way, the reason that I prefer dd mmm yyyy is because it avoids this type of confusion:

does 3-5-2017 represent 03 May 2017 or 05 Mar 2017 ?????

While personal preference might be OK elsewhere I believe the format  zahangrau cites is by far the best way to avoid confusion for for family history purposes.

#93852 Javascript & Website Tree

Posted by Trebor22 on 10 May 2019 - 01:24 AM in Discussion

. I again think the static HTML approach is much better and I think that RM is kind of going in the wrong direction. I suspect I am in the minority with this view.

Jerry

Just in case votes count, I also think RM is heading in the wrong direction in this respect.

However I'm also inclined to the view whichever route RM takes it is unlikely to match the websites  of GedSite (or similar products) where producing  good websites is its primary business.

Its just one of those areas where I suspect I will always do better outside RM :-)

#93812 How to record details of a person e.g. height

Posted by Trebor22 on 07 May 2019 - 03:02 AM in Discussion

Does RM support the GEDCOM standard fact called: DSCR <PHYSICAL_DESCRIPTION>

PHYSICAL_DESCRIPTION:= {Size=1:248}
An unstructured list of the attributes that describe the physical characteristics of a person, place, or object. Commas separate each attribute.
Example:
1 DSCR Hair Brown, Eyes Brown, Height 5 ft 8 in
2 DATE 23 JUL 1935

Yes - can be selected from list by clicking 'Add a fact', although its not one I've used.