fredandrana's Content

There have been 12 items by fredandrana (Search limited from 21-January 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#66906 DataClean Beta Feature

Posted by fredandrana on 23 October 2014 - 06:46 AM in Discussion

I cannot find it anymore either.  It happens to be one of my favorite features too.  I am still hoping for a "date clean" ...  but I am patient.

#63384 Marking pictures as "Private"

Posted by fredandrana on 11 April 2014 - 12:25 PM in Discussion

I would like to recommend the ability to select certain media as "private" so that it does not display on my site. Such as...birth certificates of those that are still alive (yes, I keep those images on my site, because one never knows when an image will disappear from the web, or if the link will get broken, or the apocalypse will come and the internet will disappear entirely) , death certificates of a sensitive nature, et cetera. Maybe something as simple as a box under each image that one can click to hide, unclick to show. Have the default set as unclicked. Same thing with individual facts....or just an option to make either a person private, and just show a last name, or make details private, and hide all dates.

I know this topic has been brought up before, but I haven't seen anyone mention the media privacy yet.

#63383 Published Tree Icon Color

Posted by fredandrana on 11 April 2014 - 12:13 PM in Discussion

Are you asking if the icons can change color on hover? Like a website address when you move your mouse over it?

#63267 Problem: Pedigree Chart and Pictures

Posted by fredandrana on 02 April 2014 - 11:12 PM in Discussion

I may actually have a little useful input on this....at least, I hope so!

I also just switched form XP to Windows 7...and also from 32-bit or whatever it is called to 64-bit. I had a horrid, wretched time running RootsMagic...the windows would not disply right. Either they were too big, or too small, or i had to scroll way over...the inside box with the list of people would not fit properly in the outer container. At first, I thought it was RootsMagic, so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that did not help. I am running a custom build...from WalMart (keep all comments to yourselves...I knew what I was building lol) and I had another issue with the computer not coming out of sleep mode. So....I was trying to fix multiple problems, and the not coming out of sleep mode was more important. After checking all the drivers for updates, I went to the website for my monitor and reinstalled that. It instantly resolved all my RootsMagic problems.
Reinstalling the driver that Windows found for my monitor when I connected it did absolutely nothing. I had to go to the website, download the driver from there, and reinstall that way. Before I did that, the drive said it was current, up-to-date...no problems. And all my pretty colors showed right, and everything else worked fine...RootsMagic was the only program that had problems displaying correctly.

So....my advice...go to the Epson website, download the driver for your printer, and install that.

And just in case anyone else runs into the whole sleep-mode issue....when my computer would wake, it would pop up my wallpaper, but not my desktop icons. They were all way over on the far left. After a month or so of frustration, I finally found out my computer had somehow installed my monitor twice, and my desktop was showing on the monitor I did not really have. All fixed now...deleted the second monitor, and no problems since then.

#61409 Changing browser for web searches

Posted by fredandrana on 06 December 2013 - 01:45 PM in Discussion

I am not sure how you guys fixed it, but since this last update, all issues I had with the internal browser are now fixed. No more ugly pink line at the top...picture previews are loading again, and I am able to download the full-sized pics again. All is well now...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

And it loads a bit faster than it did before too...an added bonus!

#60833 Sentence Template for Cause of Death

Posted by fredandrana on 25 October 2013 - 04:50 PM in Discussion

You all make valid points...it's nice to hear how other people do things. I didn't think of any of those other ways of wording the cause of death.

#60816 Sentence Template for Cause of Death

Posted by fredandrana on 24 October 2013 - 07:22 PM in Discussion

I know this one is pretty silly, and can be changed easily on our own, but how about adding an "of" before the description in death details?

Currently, the template reads,
Sentence template:
[person] died< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [person:Age]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

which means, unless we manually go in and change the template, we have to enter "of" before the cause of death.

#60814 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by fredandrana on 24 October 2013 - 06:00 PM in Discussion

Just for comparison purposes...

150210 people
58714 families
364362 events
90404 places
187 sources
2479 citations
1187 multimedia items
1553 mutimedia links

takes about 4 hours to Publish Online, on a ten year old computer running Windows XP, 3.2 GB processor, and 2GB RAM. I believe it is the media that makes it take so long, and I resize some of my media when it is feasible. It takes FOREVER to resize all the media into the three sizes needed, but I understand that doing it that way greatly increases web page loading when viewing the site.

I had no problems viewing my pages with Chrome. Are you trying to view a whole complete website, or are you trying to just view the HTML and CSS?

#60807 Confused on Entering Marriage Info

Posted by fredandrana on 24 October 2013 - 09:52 AM in Issues

I actually tried this to see what happens. When you add the spouse, it does not show in the index. But, if you click on another person, and then click on the spouse again, it shows up.

When you go to add a marriage event, you will get a popup window that asks which spouse you would like to add the event to, and it will show you any other spouses you have already added. And if the name is the same, you will get a popup asking if the person is one you have previously entered.

Should you get duplicates, they can be manually merged very easily. :D

#60803 Browser problem using websearch with "Search FamilySearch"

Posted by fredandrana on 23 October 2013 - 08:53 PM in Discussion

I am having the same issue. I started a thread here... http://forums.rootsm...r-web-searches/ ...if it will help you any.

#60802 Changing browser for web searches

Posted by fredandrana on 23 October 2013 - 08:47 PM in Discussion

Thinking aloud here, if you switch the Windows default browser to your Firefox, I presume all you'd have to do is "manually" run your Internet Explorer and choose Tools -> Windows Update or even just browse/bookmark the Windows Update site to keep up to date. You'd lose the automatic notification/downloading and have to add that to your "memory" list. Or "on occasion" you could just switch the default browser settings for XP back around to IE, and then back to Firefox after you updated (changing settings are a matter of checkboxes and 1 minute or so! ;-)

Ummm....

I will admit to a certain amount of laziness

:P You DO realize that would be TWO whole boxes to check, right? I am not sure that I am up to that kind of effort....

I may just have to try that tomorrow night, and see if that makes any change at all in FamilySearch. But as for the Windows updates...believe me....if I do not set IE to default, I will remember to update about as often as I remember to crack my tower and blow the dust out of my heatsink. I have it timed just right now so that I take care of that when my smoke detectors start beeping because the batteries are dead. I like RootsMagic because it does the organizing for me, because if I had to do the organizing, my genealo0gy would be written on lots of paper napkins and junk mail envelopes, and I am unable to decipher my own writing anymore.

edited because one should never type when half awake and out of coffee.

#60794 Changing browser for web searches

Posted by fredandrana on 23 October 2013 - 11:47 AM in Discussion

I have IE set as my default for the automatic Windows updates, but I guess I won't need to worry about that much longer.

When I use the external browser function, I get a "404" error when trying to download genealogies from FamilySearch. I will admit to a certain amount of laziness in downloading trees when I can, and saving myself all the typing. In RootsMagic, I am able to add trees by adding the 7 letter designation. Using ANY external browser causes a "404" error.

When I have the time, I will try the trick posted by kbens0n. And I will report back to let you know if it works. If I manage to have this problem, someone else will have it too.

Thanks for all the replies! I really love this software. I have recommended it to several people already. :D