allan1932's Content

There have been 19 items by allan1932 (Search limited from 10-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#82829 New window for Research Log

Posted by allan1932 on 23 March 2017 - 10:20 AM in Discussion

Thank you zhangrau. Hoping this will be possible in future versions,

Allan.

#82826 New window for Research Log

Posted by allan1932 on 23 March 2017 - 08:31 AM in Discussion

Is it possible to open a new window for a Research Log so that you can see data in the tree without closing the Research Log?

#82012 Fact Sentence Templates

Posted by allan1932 on 05 January 2017 - 11:58 AM in Discussion

I used the File>Import List & found it very useful. However, as Tom H states, the custom default sentences for built-in fact types and roles are always lost. In my case, these were for the roles in censuses such as spouse, daughter, mother-in-law, etc. I'll type the default sentences in a Word document then I can copy & paste them as required.

#81918 Fact Sentence Templates

Posted by allan1932 on 28 December 2016 - 03:46 PM in Discussion

Thank you Tom H. I'll use the File>Import Lists & try again.

#81914 Fact Sentence Templates

Posted by allan1932 on 28 December 2016 - 12:59 PM in Discussion

The bad news is that the New Fact Types are not permanently attached to the Fact Type List - so that was a waste of time!

#81912 Fact Sentence Templates

Posted by allan1932 on 28 December 2016 - 12:46 PM in Discussion

I've now found that I can add a New Fact Type to the List by creating, for example, Census-son then adding the Role & the Sentence Template to it.

#81909 Fact Sentence Templates

Posted by allan1932 on 28 December 2016 - 11:08 AM in Discussion

Can Fact Sentence Templates be added to the Fact Types List so that once designed they may be used again in other family trees on RootsMagic? For example, in Fact Type Census I add relationship to the head of the household (spouse, son, daughter, boarder, etc.) whilst working on one family tree, but when I go to another family tree I have to add the Roles again.

#80882 Registration Date

Posted by allan1932 on 10 September 2016 - 12:06 PM in Discussion

Just found the baptism of my cousin Alan Fenton Stephenson in Lancashire Online Parish Clerk website which reveals that he was baptised when he was aged 20. His wife Ellen Doyle was godparent.

Baptism: 19 Dec 1933 St Ann, Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire, England
Alan Fenton Stephenson - [Child] of Wm. G. F. Stephenson & Cath. Lela (formerly Allen)
    Born: 7 Nov 1913
    Godparents: Ellen Doyle
    Notes: Baptizatus sub conditione 'Si iam non es baptizatus'
    Parents' Marital Status: conj.
    Baptised by: Gulielmus Flynn
    Register: Baptisms 1933 - 1935, Page 70, Entry 14
    Source: Original Register

#80767 Registration Date

Posted by allan1932 on 31 August 2016 - 03:10 PM in Discussion

Perhaps, but they refer to the same life event.

Both methods of recording (one RM fact or two RM facts) can be considered valid.

Each researcher needs to decide how they want reports, etc. to handle the info; as well as whether it may later be desirable to be able to search for those types of info separately, and there are probably other considerations....

As you point out, I like to be able to list those in my tree for whom I have a birth registration date but not a birth date. Also, in a few instances, there is a considerable period between the two.

The consensus appears to be that there is no need for RootsMagic Facts for Registrations so I'll create my own Fact Types. Thank you all for your responses.

#80751 Registration Date

Posted by allan1932 on 31 August 2016 - 08:08 AM in Discussion

I can only reiterate that Birth Date & Birth Registration Date are TWO separate Facts.

#80747 Registration Date

Posted by allan1932 on 31 August 2016 - 06:42 AM in Discussion

There are differing opinions on entering separate events into RM when there is conflicting data about dates. Consider, for example, just plain old dates, let alone registration dates. In the case of multiple and conflicting dates for the same event, some users prefer to enter the data into RM as multiple events such as multiple birth events - one event in RM for each conflicting date. Others prefer to enter the data into RM as a single event with the event date being the best estimate for the date and with the alternate dates documented and explained as notes. I prefer the "single event plus notes" approach, but I'm not sure that there is a written standard anywhere that supports the way I do it.

I think that entering dates such as "third quarter 1913" is a separate issue from whether to enter multiple date events because "third quarter 1913" might the only data point you have. If it's the only data point you have, my preference would be to enter it as something like "third quarter 1913" or "3Q 1913". But my recollection from previous discussions on these forums is that RM doesn't handle such dates very well. I could be wrong, and I'm sure other user will chime in about such dates. RM would support a date such as "between 1 Jul 1913 and 30 Sep 1913", but that is not what you really want. I don't have any registration dates in my database, so I don't have any direct experience with them.

Jerry

Birth Date & Birth Registration Date are not conflicting dates.

#80744 Registration Date

Posted by allan1932 on 31 August 2016 - 04:58 AM in Discussion

I try to record the "best available" info for BMD facts, with sources linked for documentation. When all I have is a birth registration indicating a 3-month span, for instance "Jul-Sep 1913", I usually record something like "before Sep 1913". Then I continue to look for more data. Not surprisingly, I am researching many people who appear in birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage, census,military, and death records and indices = and those records may often vary in their specificity (does it include year, month and day? or not?) and accuracy (I've seen the year of birth vary on multiple records). In genealogy, we must go with the preponderance of evidence - if I have questions about the veracity of what I have recorded, I just keep looking....

Would you like separate RootsMagic Facts for, for instance, Birth & Birth Registration, so that the Dates & Sources can be inserted accordingly?

#80742 Registration Date

Posted by allan1932 on 31 August 2016 - 03:58 AM in Discussion

Is there justification for registration dates of birhs, marriages, & deaths to be added to the Facts list, bearing in mind that they may differ from the actual dates of the events? I just wonder what the general opinion is.

#80035 General Person Note as Research Log

Posted by allan1932 on 04 July 2016 - 04:26 PM in Discussion

I also use the Notes for a person as you do.

#80015 Find My Past Hints

Posted by allan1932 on 01 July 2016 - 12:15 PM in Discussion

Are you using Chrome? I often have a problem with the auto-disappearing task bar either refusing to pop up or not going down as it should, thus masking off part of the browser window. Only with Chrome, I think. 

Yes, I am using Chrome.

#80010 Find My Past Hints

Posted by allan1932 on 01 July 2016 - 07:58 AM in Discussion

Click on the Review button for one of the hints to see the transcription and scroll to the bottom to choose Accept or Reject.

Thank you TomH. I scrolled down as described & saw only the very top of a blue-coloured bar. I have now moved the taskbar to the side of my monitor screen & the blue options bar is shown fully. Sorry not to have seen this before. Thank you to all who responded to my query. Apologies,

Allan.

#80008 Find My Past Hints

Posted by allan1932 on 01 July 2016 - 04:50 AM in Discussion

That's because you have to be logged in to the FindMyPast Website to go any further with viewing matches and accepting/rejecting the 'Hints'.  The message at the top indicates that you aren't logged in to the site so it is not linking to your FindMyPast Account.

I am logged in to the Findmypast website. I can click on any of the hints & the record itself opens. Can anyone post a link to a website which shows the accept/reject option? Is the option on the first (findmypast in association with RootsMagic) web page which opens after clicking on the hints in RootsMagic & lists the records which can be reviewed, or is the option in the second web page which opens after clicking on one of the records shown in the first web page & which shows the details of that record?

#80003 Find My Past Hints

Posted by allan1932 on 30 June 2016 - 07:47 PM in Discussion

For the Findmypast website you need to click on the Hint and then the option to Accept or Reject is available. 

http://www.findmypas...1bbb3&_k=w049cc

This is an example of the results I get Renee, & the websites never finishes loading.

#79994 Find My Past Hints

Posted by allan1932 on 30 June 2016 - 10:31 AM in Discussion

More generally, WebHints do not bring any data back into RM for any of the WebHints partners. All you get is a light bulb that is a link you can click on to to see the data at the partner site. If you like the data you see, you can bring the data back manually by typing it into RM.

WebHints are not stored in RM. Any data that is stored about a WebHint is stored at the partner site. For example, you cannot search in your RM database for individuals with WebHints, you cannot color code individuals in your RM database who have WebHints, and you cannot make a group in RM based in individuals who have WebHints. All you can do is to display a person in one of the RM views and wait a few seconds to see if a light bulb appears. If a light bulb appears, you can click on the light bulb. But there is no way to know in advance if a light bulb is going to appear or not. The RM views that support the light bulbs are Pedigree View, Family View, and Descendant View.

The only automated feature of WebHints is for the FamilySearch Family Tree site. For that site, RM has an option called Match person to FamilySearch when hints found. RM has a partially automated way to move data back and forth between your RM database and the FSFT community tree. RM facilitates the movement of data back and forth between RM and FSFT in the sense that you don't have to type it in again, but you still have to specify exactly which data is to be moved back and forth. Before data can be moved back and forth in this manner, an individual in your RM database must be matched to an individual in FSFT. Enabling the Match person to FamilySearch when hints found option will facilitate the matching process. There are other ways to do matching between RM and FSFT, but WebHints can sometimes make the matching process easier.

Jerry

When I click on Findmypast in WebHints for an individual I can see no way of Accepting or Rejecting any Pending hint. If I manually put the data shown into the individual's RootsMagic record will the Pending hint change into an Accepted one? I must be missing an obvious way to do this, I think.