Battleax45's Content

There have been 42 items by Battleax45 (Search limited from 12-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#56095 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 29 January 2013 - 08:35 PM in Discussion

Hello from ex hell. I did it. I deleted the one she had me make. Made one like I had been making. Cut all the photos out of data and put them in media, fixed broken links and it seems all is well. I haven't made a report yet, That didn't work in the past but at least so far the data is in the right place, the media is in the right place and the backup is in the right place. I have FTM 2005 and I guarantee you I got the pic files in a gedcom. They have never been in a file on my computer, only in the FTM file. It has been a ride. I learned a lot over 2 weeks. It looks like I can finally start over. I didn't do all that much actual work on the "tree" only on installing it over and over and over. I want to thank you all for your help. You were all in the right direction, it was just getting me there. I have never used Windows Explorer mainly because after dropping something in the wrong place, it scared me out and for years I didn't understand dragging at all. I have dragged now for years but not in explorer and in windows 7 it does not show automatically, you have to expand it which I didn't have a clue about and apparently after going to Google on it, a lot of other people saw it the same as me. This thank you is to all on the forum, you have been great putting up with me. Perhaps I shall visit again but hopefully not such a marathon. I hope management reads this and realizes that you do know what you are talking about.
Kurt

#56091 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 29 January 2013 - 04:32 PM in Discussion

I see from above posts that the media and data will be in the same folder. Maybe I could then copy and paste the photos into media and do a fix broken link. Per phone call this doesn't work telling RM to put them there in the beginning, all have to go to my documents. She did not want to talk about those 5 folders and was rather short with me. Said that most of you are disgruntled Roots Magic users that don't know what you are talking about, but it appears to me you are more correct than she was. I now have a mess to clean up again with 250 plus jpgs in my documents that came from FTM even though that is impossible because they had to be on my computer all the time (NOT) Also, no one sent me these photos per say, they all came in a gedcom which she said is impossible but that is where I got them, I sure didn't drive out to Washington and North Dakota and get them from people I don't even know, they just sent me a gedcom and they were in there.
Thanks,
Kurt

#56089 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 29 January 2013 - 03:44 PM in Discussion

Ok, I finally called Roots Magic. She had me start from scratch and make a new file. Totally different than what I have done in the past. She said that all the photos always go to my documents. I asked about the media files etc and she said that had nothing to do with it. So, now my photos are all back in my documents, scattered to kingdom come, around 250 of them among other files. She did say I could copy them all and put into a separate folder and then use fix broken media links. I see files in my documents that may or may not be part of RM. Don't remember them but they could have been there. I would really like to have the data file in data and photos in media etc, but it seems that can't be done. I guess I could call it media and put them in there, but I have no clue now as to those 5 folders you are supposed to make. I tried to mention them a few times but she really didn't want to talk about it because it sounded like that didn't work. So, I am back to a mess. I have RM to use as I have had since I started trying this a couple weeks ago but scattered about. She said that these pictures of mine were always on my computer, but really they were not exactly, They were in FTM. She said that isn't so and that I had them on my computer, but I didn't get these pictures from people as photos per say, I got them in a gedcom which she said is impossible. Well, that is how I got them, one set from Washington state and the other from N. Dakota and maybe one more. This is how I got most of these names, pictures included. I did put in my own photos, and those are on my hard drive in several places, but they are also in my FTM file. Also, she had me open a blank RM and upload the FTM file directly to the blank RM file. It then loaded everything and put the files in my documents. It also opened. It would be nice if I could have my photos, gedcoms, saves, and the data and the other one in one folder. The last time I did it, it did put everything in like I told it to but the pictures were in the data file along with the data. I guess I was not suppose to do that but it is neater than what I have now, just would be nice if I could have gotten the pictures to the media file which I guess doesn't exist or something. I don't know how many times I am going to have to clean up my documents. I have over 1/2 gig of photos in my trash bin, which according to her, if I delete photos they are gone, but they are not gone, they are in FTM. AT A LOSS, Kurt

#56084 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 29 January 2013 - 01:09 PM in Discussion

I tried search and replace twice but it did not work.
Kurt

#56083 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 29 January 2013 - 11:15 AM in Discussion

Remember that links to your picture and other media files are stored in your RM database file. If the pictures have moved from where they were when initially specified, or their names were changed, RM will be confused. You can use Search > Search and Replace to fix the situation. For "Field to search", chose "Multimedia filenames". For "Search for" and "Replace with", enter the appropriate strings. For example, if your pictures had been in the C:\Users\John\Pictures\Genealogy\ folder, but are now in C:\Users\John\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Multimedia\, you'd enter those two strings, respectively. This method really only works well if you had all your pictures in the same folder and have moved them to another folder. You'd otherwise want to use "Fix broken media links" if you've moved them from one folder to multiple folders. I mentioned earlier that I can't recall what happens when you have the same pictures in two separate locations when using Fbml, so don't want to give you the details on where to find it within the program without someone who's more recently used it weighing in.

As always, back up before attempting major operations.

Ok, I have my data file in my data folder along with all the 250 or so jpgs. I have not moved anything. Can if search and replace? Would I use in Search, the data folder string and for the replace, the media string? Will it then pull in all 250 photos into the media folder?
Kurt

#56079 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 28 January 2013 - 09:51 PM in Discussion

Well we are getting closer. It put the data file and all the media (photos) in the data file. Something like 250 jpgs plus the RMdata file. It put the backup file in backup. I didn't make a gedcom or report.
Kurt

#56073 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 28 January 2013 - 07:40 PM in Discussion

Thank you all, this has been a learning experience. I guess for all of us in the end lol. Does anyone want a gedcom from FTM? I could probably send one I have made in the past. I have always been using the FTM option though as my gedcoms are old. I do have some FTM files also that are probably smaller than the one I am using. This one has close to 50,000 names I believe although GM did find a lot of duplicates.
Kurt

#56057 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 28 January 2013 - 01:36 PM in Discussion

Well after reading and being frustrated for a good hour because nothing looked the same, I was just about to give up and right clicked on documents and told it to expand and viola, there they were. It never said anything about expanding, just collapsing. Wow, all these years I have never seen that where the same files and folders are in different places but you can access both at the same time. I think of all the cutting and then moving and opening a different folder and pasting and back and forth like that which was a real pain and now this is here. Thank you. Apparently the computer comes collapsed. Must be what others are experiencing also.. Now I am exhaused and need a nap but I found it. Thanks again.
Kurt

#56055 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM in Discussion

Yes, I started reading the link. I am going to print it off. Sure doesn't look like the old explorer but maybe it is in there somewhere. So far it is all Greek to me but I need to print it so I can see it while I look at my computer. Can't believe after using a computer for all these years this RM program is so complicated.Thanks.
Kurt

#56053 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 28 January 2013 - 11:18 AM in Discussion

Laura, no, that will not work. Windows 7 as I said does not have explorer. The windows key does not work. I will check this File Management site. My wife works with Windows 7 everyday and has for about a year and says she can't find a lot of stuff that she needs. It just doesn't work. She used to be able to track files etc and can't figure out how to do it with 7.

#56043 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 28 January 2013 - 09:51 AM in Discussion

I looked up address paths. This is what I got: Does anyone know how to find the path in Windows 7? There is not explorer and in the address bar it just put say documents Roots Magic. It does not show the path anymore. Is there a way to change the address bar so it shows the path?
How to find a path to a file?

When you are viewing a folder in a Windows Explorer window it displays an address bar containing the path to the folder.
  • To get to Windows Explorer press the Windows key on your keyboard and the E key at the same time.
  • Where ever you go, the path will be listed in the address bar at the top.
  • If you double click on c: drive, then Documents and Settings, then your username, then Favorites, then music, the path in the address bar will look like thisC:Documents and SettingsMitzFavoritesMusic

#56040 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 28 January 2013 - 07:52 AM in Discussion

Thanks, I will try this again in the order specified. Note though that Windows explorer does not exist anymore. I did not know how to use it anyway, but it was scrapped apparently on Windows 7. There are a lot of complaints about it if you Google it which I did. I thought you could use RootsMagic to go to make copies to your flash drive. I saw nothing about using explorer. I will use the computer for my main program. Maybe I will go buy another smaller flash drive to store and save. I didn't know that flash drives were not dependable. I have several of them in my lock box at the bank storing text and photo files. From previous comments it seems that many people use the flash drive rather than the computer as I thought I was told I should do that, but I will go with what you are saying. Most of you keep talking about explorer but I have never run across it mentioned much in all these years. Even the basic computer course I took many years ago never mentioned it. I opened it a few times in the past and saw all the files there but didn't know what to do with them. Per someone many years ago I was moving I believe my computer or something big (don't ask why because I don't know why, probably misunderstood someone) and it accidently dropped in my Works folder which blew things apart and I had to do a reformat. Maybe that is why they dropped it because the average person didn't know what it was for. I wish I knew more about computers but we lived in the country and no one else had them at first and when they did get them, they only used them for email. I took a course to build a website and that went fine, but making these strings in the right order seems to be awful difficult.

#56024 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 27 January 2013 - 12:04 PM in Discussion

Right, I would suppose tomorrow as today is Sunday. Maybe I am not doing it in the right order. Very complicated. If I tell it to put something in the file it will do it (click on file and open it), but with photos you can't tell it, you have to let it put it in where you designated it to go and they are not there. I don't know where they are. It does usually put the back up in the correct folder but that is the only one. As for search and replace, I really can't make much out of it online here. seems very complicated. I tried making another library, think I put in the correct path. Again it put in the backup but that is all. Tried several more since my last but no luck. I am not trying to even use FTM on these tests, just my name and one photo and one report and one backup. No luck. The last 2 tests were back into my documents, not the new library. Perhaps I am making the string or whatever wrong or in the wrong order. Actually I don't think in 20 years I have ever made a complicated string or any string for that matter. This whole thing is bewildering. Plus from my first posts it seems like I should be making this into the flash drive I bought per suggestions. Also, my question if the photos were able to be kept on the flash drive, not just the little ones, was never answered. The webinar said they were working on it, but that info is RootM 4. something. I bought a 16 gig so that I could carry all my originals with me per what I thought was being said. Some said I should not use my C drive for this. I assumed they used the C drive for backup.
Kurt

#56020 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 27 January 2013 - 11:10 AM in Discussion

I made quite a few short test rootsmagic files but none of them would put the information where it was supposed to be. I am beginning to think you have to be a computer genius to use this, it has been about 2 weeks now and I can't get anywhere.

#56003 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 26 January 2013 - 08:01 PM in Discussion

Windows explorer does not exist anymore. When you Google it there are a lot of people looking for it. Here is one reply: And therein lies the problem. We can't get the old Explorer back. How many people want the old Explorer back? The new version is horrible.
"You can't traverse the tree folder hierarchy easily. If you try to traverse the tree folder, and hit the back button, it doesn't go to the previous level in the tree, it goes to the last folder that you were in.

It behaves like a browser now!!!! I can't believe that Microsoft would take a perfectly good product and "webify" it. Webifying every piece of software is not the answer. They should have left Explorer alone along with Office 2007."

It just shows your picture folder, documents, music, and other folders just as if you clicked on them from the start key. No wonder I could't find it.

#56002 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 26 January 2013 - 07:52 PM in Discussion

Ok, then they went to the wrong folder. I made them up first before I uploaded the old file. Made them both in RM (actually they were already there it seemed) then I copy and pasted them into a folder I made for the roots magic file. Didn't work.

#55999 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 26 January 2013 - 04:21 PM in Discussion

Oh, and this is what you wrote in the link above "Remember that links to your picture and other media files are stored in your RM database file." I believe that is where they are. And, I don't have a RM database in any folder I specified, it auto put it into programs. How could I tell it where to go without installing it, and that is where it went. I couldn't get to the folder options until I installed it from the disk.

#55998 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 26 January 2013 - 04:17 PM in Discussion

Ok, will try to use the search and replace. Isn't the actual program supposed to be in one of those folders? It was in the last one I did. Boy this is by far the hardest most complicated thing I have ever done in the 20 some years of being on a computer. Just like I was told to hit the Windows key and E and it would bring me to Windows explorer. Well, not on my computer. Plus, I don't have a clue on how to use explorer. I took a class when we first got a computer and explorer was never mentioned. On my computer it brings up hard disk drives and removable storage when I hit the Windows/E key.

#55994 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 26 January 2013 - 02:03 PM in Discussion

Hi,
I deleted everything and reinstalled.
My backup file has backup in it, my data files has photos in it, my gedcom is empty (none made), my media is empty and reports is empty (did not make any), I don't have the actual program in there, it put it in programs I believe. I thought the photos were supposed to be in media. Is this correct or not.
Kurt

#55952 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 24 January 2013 - 01:44 PM in Discussion

I checked, I can make a gedcom but not without the photos. That is ok though, as long as they import right. Will look a bit at the web help and see if it has anything on importing. I think it did. Won't do anything yet though.

#55951 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 24 January 2013 - 01:21 PM in Discussion

Well the report didn't go in the folder. Also the search and replace did not work. How about if I start from scratch. I have not done much in this new program, so I won't be out much. In the long run it will probably be faster. I went and bought a flash drive today and my CD arrived. I could put that on there and then somehow make the folders suggested before I upload the FTM file. Then if all works well it will put them in the right place and I can delete all the other picture files. What I might really like to do is upload the old FTM file without pictures in it. They are such poor quality photos. My own, I can replace. Most of the others I don't care about so much but can use some of them. I think FTM must have shrunk the file size. The sure appear to be imbedded in the program. Actually, they have to be imbedded, these picture files were never on my computer before. If I can still get FTM to make a gedcom, I will see if there is a way to exclude pictures or maybe one of you knows. I assume I will have to delete the old folders I made for RM as there is stuff in them, or at least change the name so it doesn't recognize them. Wow.
Kurt

#55949 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 24 January 2013 - 12:52 PM in Discussion

Ok, I am going to try this. Thanks. I have never heard of a windows key but assume it might be the one with the flag on it, so that is what I will use. I already moved all the picture files into the media file but I also have them repeated at least twice in my picture folder and again in my Miy documents folder. I assume if I get everything straight and all the files working in the RootsMagicmedia file I can delete those.
Kurt

#55919 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 22 January 2013 - 07:48 PM in Discussion

Yes, I should probably do that. I went over that first webinar, Getting Started with RootsMagic, and it says nothing about setting up files that I could see. That is the only one I watched right after uploading the FTM file which seemed quite simple at the time. It appears that I would probably be better off setting up a new one and uploading again. I haven't added that much since the upload. I really have a mess with all these photo files all over the place.
Thanks to all,
Kurt

#55909 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 22 January 2013 - 02:35 PM in Discussion

One more thing. It appears I should buy a new flash drive and work off of that?
Thanks,
Kurt

#55906 Photo files imported from FTM

Posted by Battleax45 on 22 January 2013 - 01:23 PM in Discussion

Oh, the other option I was thinking was to make a gedcom. Then open a new RM and start from scratch with the folders and then import that gedcom.
Kurt