DonnaT's Content

There have been 6 items by DonnaT (Search limited from 16-January 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#70904 Alt Name - toggle allows customized sentences with Name Type

Posted by DonnaT on 19 February 2015 - 03:49 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I doubt that anyone else has cared about this....I think its just me being picky...but here it goes...

I hate that I have to customize EACH sentence in the Alternate Name fact.   If the "Name Type" toggle is there and says "Nickname", why isn't it attached to a sentence then then states,  John Smith had the nickname John-John.   or when the "Married" name is specified in the "Name Type" area, why doesn't it say Elizabeth Doe went by the married name Elizabeth Smith as of 1836. (okay, in that one I added a date that would have been a marriage date...but they can be easy sentences).

I just look at the way that the program is now (RM5) and hate how I put in a 'Name Type" but still get the sentence.....Jonathan Doe was also known as John Dohe  instead of something like......In the 1860 sentence, Jonathan Doe was recorded as John Dohe.

Hmmmmm....that reminds me....how about toggling (Name Type) "census" and having it as another 'type' with its own customized sentence???  I mean, why not work on two things at the same time...custom sentences attached to a Name Type and new Name Types?  

While some people might think that this is a little heavy handed with recording every spelling, nickname, etc.  I find it useful because I can see various spellings of names and changes in the surname (for example).  It can show from generation to generation the way that a name is changed and can give people clues about how/why the last name evolved.  I noticed a specific time line in one of the family branches were the name spelling changed.  Some keeping the traditional spelling while others went with a different spelling.  Part of it being the result of the education and another part of it being the way that the name was documented during the civil war.

:-)

#70903 Need Idea for Wording & Recording of Historical Facts

Posted by DonnaT on 19 February 2015 - 03:14 PM in Sentence and Source Templates

Thanks lmsalgdo for the input.  I do have "Personal Historian" and its a great idea to use that.  I know that many of the facts in Person Historian are great to use and would be wonderful when doing a larger group of people.  I will keep that idea in mind.  At this point, I'm not sure that I'm ready to add my database into person historian....I'll have to play with that.

Laura, believe it or not, I have never used my Research Logs.  I use my to do list, work off that, make notes on them if I need notes, but basically, I've never done the research log because I doubt that I'd ever think of looking at them.  So, because I NEVER used them....I am intrigued with how they work and how you use them.  Would love to know more about your usage of them....

Thanks to both of you for your input.  I do appreciate the time that you took to answer me.

#70712 Need Idea for Wording & Recording of Historical Facts

Posted by DonnaT on 11 February 2015 - 10:31 AM in Sentence and Source Templates

I'm wondering how people handle placing historical facts into each individual's timeline.  I know that there are probably ways to download such things, but in my case I have a very specific use and was trying to figure out how to accomplish it.

I have a family timeline that coincides with the creation of a new county, the incorporation of towns, the start up of railroads, construction of the courthouse, etc., etc.    I WANT to create a fact that would allow me to place the piece of history (country, state, county, or even city history) into the people who were alive during that time period.   I understand that I need to make my sentence structure broad and that I can select many people from my database to share a given piece of history that I place into the database, but I'm wondering how everyone else would handle accomplishing this.  

I was hopeful to have something simple print out like:

In 1818, Westminster was incorporated

or possibly:   In 1818, Westminster was incorporated and Jacob was living in the county during this time period.

keep in mind that some of the history might be of a completely different topic like:

On June 30  1863, Union troops encamped at Union Mills and confederate cavalry had also stopped in this location on the same day while on their way to Pennsylvania.

or

In 1872, a smallpox outbreak was in __________.

or

In 1904 the Great Fire of Baltimore occurred.

Obviously I can use a lot of the description area and will need to use the date area.  I know that something as simple as:

In [date], [desc] [place:In] which happened during the lifetime of [thisPerson].  

should work, but I know that many of you have FAR better ideas to make this work......for example, would you put a 'fake' person into the database (maybe calling that person "History Carroll Co MD"  or something like that) and input all the facts under that person....then share those facts (with the source documented) to all the people who lived in that location during that time period????

Is there an easier way?   

Is there something I am not aware of that already exists and will accomplish this task?

I'm not sure that it makes a difference, but I'm running RootsMagic 5. 

Thank you in advance for any ideas and/or advice.

-Donna

#64828 Roots-To-Go (RM5) and Tablet?

Posted by DonnaT on 13 July 2014 - 07:38 AM in Discussion

Thanks for the advice Laura!  I appreciate your reply.

#64826 Roots-To-Go (RM5) and Tablet?

Posted by DonnaT on 13 July 2014 - 06:20 AM in Discussion

Thanks for your reply Tom!  I had not thought of the screen size...not a good thing since my eyes are having trouble focusing on small things (side effect of meds).  It sounds like the best advice it to live with my heavier old laptop or get a new one that might be lighter.   I doubt that most archives would like you sticking a thumb drive into their computer, so I would think that having a lap top seems like the best solution.

Thanks again for all your info.  

#64824 Roots-To-Go (RM5) and Tablet?

Posted by DonnaT on 13 July 2014 - 04:28 AM in Discussion

Okay, I'm not techy AT ALL.  Heck, I don't even own a smart phone (I hear you all gasping!!!)

So, here's my question.  I'm trying to think of an easy way to take my files with me....say....to the state archives or on a trip.  I was trying to do this without lugging around my old lap top because its heavy. I've had to have a lot of surgeries lately (cancer) and I seem to be having a hard time remembering certain things that are on my database (peoples important dates, etc).

So, I was thinking...gee, I have the Roots-To-Go and I would only need to access my database(s) to make sure that I have the correct people and correct facts....so, why can't I just plug the sucker into some kind of tablet thingy.

Is this possible?  Do any of the tablet thingy(s) run the Roots-To-Go?   If so, what do I need to look out for?

Keep in mind, I don't want to save my stuff to some cloud or whatever those things are called...and I don't want to pay for something that will get wi-fi (ie: be on the internet).   I just was hopeful that something would exist that would allow me to see my roots-to-go information without doing anything else.  Sorta like taking all your reports with you to keep you on track....without having to carry all the paperwork....LOL.

So, calling all you techies.....

Can this be done?

Oh, and I have RM5.