LeeHollenbeck's Content

There have been 11 items by LeeHollenbeck (Search limited from 16-November 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#67717 QuickGroups

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 26 November 2014 - 03:32 PM in Discussion

THANK YOU!   :-)

#65149 Source Text field {}

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 05 August 2014 - 12:08 PM in FamilySearch Family Tree

Thank you Renee,

You're the best!!   :)  :)  :)

#65139 Source Text field {}

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 05 August 2014 - 05:00 AM in FamilySearch Family Tree

I very much like the convenience afforded by the superior integration of RootsMagic with FamilySearch FamilyTree. 

Is there a way to post a source from RootsMagic to FSFT without the information the Source Text field in curly brackets being posted?

thx  :)

#63116 Hot-Key for date

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 25 March 2014 - 08:21 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

no icon on date fields in sources and citations :mellow:

#63111 Queries and Color-Coding

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 25 March 2014 - 03:36 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Wow, great ideas around what is wished for with color-coding, groups, and queries here and http://forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/13517-color-coding-snapshot/ . It is especially interesting hearing what people are trying to accomplish, and, after several years of working with this program’s queries, groups, and color-coding facilities, how.

I should have caught earlier, especially in previous posts from Laura, that groups could be made from the color-coding. While this is an excellent useful feature in the current program, and I sure I’ll be taking much advantage of it, something more or different is needed.

Since I do not have a large database, I have no real empiric sense of what would cause congestion, or what actions would take a hideously long time, but this does seem to be an elephant to work around -- that and keeping the interface simple, intuitive, flexible, and powerful.

There is much to absorb from this and the previous discussions from 2009, 2010 and 2012.

Still considering work on sources a priority over this,

Lee Ann

#63110 Hot-Key for date

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 25 March 2014 - 03:25 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Hi Renee,

A hot-key to open the calendar, then simply hitting the enter key would absolutely work! Thank you.

The place where I am most using today's date in source and citation date fields.

I don't think I understand the previous request for the calculator, but if I could enter today's date in source and citation date fields with a couple of keystrokes, and no thought as to what today's date actually is, that would be fabulous. Hot-Key for Date-calculator would be fine since, as it currently exists, it only takes an arrow key to switch from the newly opened date calculator to the calendar.

Thank you for helping, and always responding quickly, we are fortunate to have you.

Lee Ann

#63086 Color Coding Snapshot

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 25 March 2014 - 01:51 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

This might not belong on the wish lists forum, but how in the world do you create a named group from a color coding. Is this something really obvious I am missing? I really cannot find this. I do not see it in help, or the interface, and if it is in the forums, it is hiding from me.

To clarify, snapshot of the colors would be just that , I think Tom creates a table for a snapshot? It is that idea - just a record of the color of each person in the database. When the color snapshot is restored, perhaps there should be a very prominent option giving the choice of clearing or retaining the current color for new persons in the database.

A group is okay for something simple, something binary, but if several colors are being used for some project, saving and restoring the project would be very tedious, as I understand it. It would be a hassle to change to a different project. Even If there were all sorts of saved queries and macros for automatically recreating the color scheme, the user might consider saving a snapshot a better option in some situations. That macro might take some considerable computer muscle. Perhaps this is a misunderstanding.

#63073 Queries and Color-Coding

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 24 March 2014 - 12:54 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I very much like RootsMagic and how I can use named groups, select people by data fields, custom reports, and color-coding to organize and clarify my research.

Wish Wish Wish ideas

3) Save a Search for People to Include by datafields -- not the results of the search, but the search itself. After carefully selecting the fields and qualifiers to turn up the desired recordset, it would be nice if I could save the query for when I use it, or a slight variation, again, and again, and again. There should be opportunity to edit the saved search.

4) Save a Select People Sequence. Groups are not dynamic in RootsMagic, and I am Very okay with that. The Select people window is very powerful for creating a list of people. It would be nice if macros for selecting a list of people could be created. This way, after people have been created and edited, an updated list could be easily created.

5) Save a Color Scheme. Similar to above, but it is a series of colors applied to different lists of people.

#63072 Color Coding Snapshot

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 24 March 2014 - 12:41 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I very much like RootsMagic and how I can use named groups, select people by data fields, custom reports, and color-coding to organize and clarify my research.

Wish Wish Wish ideas

2.) Save a snapshot of the color-coding. Allow to name, delete, and restore the color-coding snapshot.

Since I like to use color coding for more than one type of view for the data, it would be nice if I could save a Snapshot of the color-coding. Yes, I can make a copy of the database and apply different color-coding to that database, but I would not want to make changes I wish to save in the duplicate database.

#63070 Quick add (and maybe delete) people from named groups

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 24 March 2014 - 12:24 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Wish Wish Wish ideas

1.) Make it quicker to add (and, perhaps, delete) a person to a named group.
a) Drag people from the Navagation View to the group displayed in the sidebar when a group is displayed in the sidebar (it would also be nice if people could also be deleted directly from the group sidebar.) Maybe have on the group sidebar the +, -, and Go buttons found on the bookmarks sidebar.
B) Add an item: “Groups>” to the pop-up shortcut menu for the people in the navigation views. The expanded menu could show the list of user-defined groups, and clicking on the group would add the person to the group. It would be even niftier if the expanded menu would indicate with a + or - whether the person could be added to or deleted from the group.
c) Hot-key to pull up a window with a list of named groups and allow the highlighted person to be added to the group. Again, it would be even niftier if the list indicated whether a person could be either added to or deleted from a group.

#63069 Hot-Key for date

Posted by LeeHollenbeck on 24 March 2014 - 12:14 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

How about a hot-key to insert today's date? :)