Robert-Leigh:Pritchett's Content

There have been 18 items by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett (Search limited from 11-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#98815 CAPS LOCK KEY MALFUNCTIONS

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 02 January 2021 - 05:14 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

As I get older I am reminded of an older person who once said they wished the Shift key had never been invented. Now with the Caps Lock key doing its thing, I am strongly agreeing with that feeling. Try a different keyboard and see if you get the same results. 

#98360 RootsMagic crashed today - it opened fine a few days ago

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 29 October 2020 - 01:29 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Your database is okay. Completely uninstall and then  Reinstall RM7 to the latest update.

#98039 Rootsmagic Mac version 8

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 29 August 2020 - 12:17 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Are all RootsMagic employees CGI or virtual? Maybe just two left? They obviously are not making any Mac sales. I am back to using it exclusively on a PC. Even there, it has "issues", just not as prevalent as on a Mac. 

#98038 RM 7.6.4 update fails on Mac OS Catalina

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 29 August 2020 - 12:06 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Yes, it worked marvelously the same with Catalina (no real bug fixes that are Mac-specific), but forget it when going to Big Sur. Big Sur requires 64-bit apps, nothing less.

#97931 RM8

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 12 August 2020 - 09:15 PM in General Messages

And 6 months later, no change. Please, please update! Mac OS Big Sur does not allow any 32-bit apps to run. 

#97930 RM7 does not work with Mac OS Big Sur

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 12 August 2020 - 09:11 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

"It's dead, Jim", said Bones to Captain Kirk

We need RM8 Stat!

#97828 Notation in name suffix box

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 30 July 2020 - 01:36 PM in Discussion

No, they can be deleted. They are artifacts from someone who was working lines from their perspective only for identification purposes. 

Betcha they could also have asterisks or whatever in FamilySearch too.

#97745 Rootsmagic Mac version 8

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 17 July 2020 - 09:13 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I'm still willing and able to beta test RM8 for the Mac.

#97684 RM7 on Mac 10.14 (Mojave) - wine pre-loader?

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 09 July 2020 - 02:03 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

The answer is Yes, install the wine preloader. Wine is the platform that CrossOver uses. You will have to uninstall everything and start over following the step-by-step procedure for uninstalling so all bits and pieces disappear. It's the "Cross" we have to bear along with force quiting when things hang (quite frequently),

This is another gotcha that will disappear when RM8 native to the Mac magically appears in the near future.

I am using the Mac OS Beta and RM7 seems to have settle down a little. The force quiting is happening when I am making changes via FamilySearch and the access error stuff happens when I "unblue" a mother to hopefully go green. Hardly ever happens when I unblue a father. 

#97220 Issue with new Crossover Wrapper

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 12 May 2020 - 01:43 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Welcome to the RootsMagic  Mac Twilight Zone. You hare experiencing typical behavior and it happens even with the latest beta version of Mac OS. It is not you or your computer.

#97183 Compatibility between Mac and Windows versions of RM

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 04 May 2020 - 07:42 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Simple answer - No. Longer answer; My experience in the past is that database errors accumulate and do not go away on the Mac version (probably due to having to force quit so much) and are blown away in the Windows version, so run all the database tools first, so those go bye-bye. Since the latest wrapper, I have not tried the full Windows version to see if that is still true or not. Anybody else?

#97144 Unable to export Source Template

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 30 April 2020 - 07:30 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Can you write step-by-step the process you take to get to this message please?

#97057 Rootsmagic forum seems inactive 2. 1st thread is now locked

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 20 April 2020 - 02:21 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I'm happy to beta the RM8 for the Mac. I beta-tested RM7. I beta test OS X.  I lead on the bleeding edge and I use sharkskin gloves to keep from getting cut. B)

#97027 FamilySearch brings up wrong person

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 18 April 2020 - 08:12 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

So it would appear that you found another bug in FamilySearch.

A person contacted me from San Francisco CA, irate because he said I had removed a birth record from a profile of his grandmother. I could see it when I went into FamilySearch, so I asked where he was not seeing it. He previously had seen it when using the fan chart function. Now he could not.  I told him congrats, he had found a bug in FamilySearch and to contact Salt Lake about it.

I think in your case, you should do the same.

#96935 QN - will RM8 on Mac fix the ugly fonts?

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 04 April 2020 - 04:36 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

But yes, RM7 text is pixilated. Mac Users expect better.

#96934 QN - will RM8 on Mac fix the ugly fonts?

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 04 April 2020 - 04:34 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Go to Tools > Program Options > Display to change fonts  options in RM7.

#96885 Sources/Citations from Ancestry

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 29 March 2020 - 11:38 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

If you are LDS, there are at least 5 "partners" in FamilySearch. ancestry.com is one of them. Tithes pay for the annual subscription. If you are not LDS, then you can go to a Family History Center to access the same sources for free - when those locations are open after the Virus stuff is over. Right now they are closed for the duration. 

https://www.familysearch.org/campaign/partneraccess/ 

My suggestion would be to migrate the references in RM to FamilySearch and NOT delete the ancestery.com references! That would include the pics, etc. FamilySearch is backed up professionally, so any local items that otherwise would get lost or poofed would stay there for posterity. My RM database has been rebuilt 3 times, so moving items to FamilySearch reduces the genealogical history stress quite a bit.  FamilySearch just keeps getting better with time and I spend much of my time there. My RM database acts as a catalyst for me to do "fine carpentry" in FamilySearch. I tend to use those partner links in Search Helps frequently. 

Think of RM as being yeast in the dough as it helps the FamilySearch loaf to rise. 

Looks like you have some quality keystroke time and with us mostly being sequestered, this looks like an opportune time to add those citations. As far as I know there is no "one button fix" like RM has for merging. It would be fun to have a "master dump" from RM to FS, though, wouldn't it?

Currently I have around 275K of changes FS has for me to update for my RM database - one keystroke at a time.

#96793 RootsMagic 7 Now Available for macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

Posted by Robert-Leigh:Pritchett on 16 March 2020 - 07:07 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

And it does seem to work better than before!