R Steven's Content

There have been 40 items by R Steven (Search limited from 23-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#58556 Identifying Shared Marriage Sources

Posted by R Steven on 30 June 2013 - 05:28 AM in FamilySearch Family Tree

When moving marriage sources from RootsMagic to FamilyTree, RM6 doesn't provide information in the side-by-side comparison about which marriage an RM source is attached to. If a person has multiple marriages, I need to exit the source sharing screen, check which sources are attached to which marriage, and then go back to the source sharing screen. It would be really helpful if RM not only noted that the source was attached to a marriage fact, but also noted which marriage. Since FamilyTree lets me choose which marriage to attach the source to, then I can be sure to get it right.

#56979 RMtrix utilities updated

Posted by R Steven on 20 March 2013 - 08:21 AM in Tips and Hints

Great work, Tom. Thanks for all of the effort you put into this!

#54564 Source Conversion

Posted by R Steven on 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM in Discussion

Does this simplistic approach have any disadvantages? Is there something else I should consider?

One aspect others haven't mentioned yet is managing the concept of a master source and citation details. I find having more templates than Tom advocates helpful to take advantage of this capability. Having a well-designed template for a particular source saves me a lot of redundant entries when I'm documenting facts from many similar records. I'll give you an example to illustrate.

Right now I'm working on some Swedish research based on local parish records. Using a new index of these records, I find myself adding many citations daily from registers which are all in the same county and mostly restricted to three or four parishes in that county. In each parish there are predominantly four kinds of records which are the most helpful for genealogical research. Having my template set up with appropriate master (global) and citation (local) fields reduces the amount of information I need to type in to customize each citation. So, for instance, while I'm working on these records, I can use a template specific to birth/christening records in a given parish. Then the master information in the template can contain common information for all births/christenings such as church name, location, repository, and so forth. I restrict the citation fields to things which change between citations like page/image number, date accessed, and name of interest. As Tom mentioned, this makes for non-portable templates when moving to other systems, but for me the trade-off of easy entry is worth it.

Another point to consider on the lack of portability is that it isn't quite as bad as others have made it out to be. I moved to RM from another template-based system about a year ago. When I did so, all of the citations were imported as free-form sources. I have been able to handle the combination of free-form and template-based sources as follows:
  • If I was happy with the formatting from the other program (which was sometimes the case), I just made my RM templates produce the same appearance as the imported templates from the other system.
  • If I wasn't as pleased with the templates in the other system, it wasn't too hard to write conversion utilities (using SQLite tools, macros, or other programs) into the RM templates. Since the free-form citations were template-based, they had enough structure to make parsing and reformatting them pretty straight forward. Keeping a consistent structure to your sources will mean that it will be easier to take advantage of citation translation tools as they become available.

#54560 Family Search Central

Posted by R Steven on 28 November 2012 - 02:13 PM in FamilySearch Family Tree

NFS has been funny with and without interfacing to RM6 lately. From what I understand things are unstable while they work on switching from NFS to FamilyTree.

#54326 Photos - How to name them

Posted by R Steven on 25 November 2012 - 09:27 AM in Discussion

For photos of people I just label them with the name and the birth year. I don't assign the RM number to them since RM keeps track of the connections for me once I link the photo to the person. When the image is a document like a census, I add a little more information to the title.

In the description of the photos I include additional information: source of photo, location, year taken, and anything else I know about it.

#54320 Correspondence Log

Posted by R Steven on 25 November 2012 - 09:06 AM in Discussion

Has anyone found a good way to link entries in a correspondence list with fact documentation? If there is a paper copy I can link them through the personal file number, but most of my correspondence these days is electronic and I don't always keep paper copies. In a citation, I can leave a note that there is a correspondence list entry, but it would be nice to have a more direct link if anyone has figured out a way to do that.

#54319 Fact - Copy & Paste (replicating)

Posted by R Steven on 25 November 2012 - 09:00 AM in Discussion

If you haven't looked into Shared Facts yet, that may do what you want. They have a few limitations in how they print in reports, but I've usually been able to work around them. I haven't tried them with mtDNA facts, but I have with Residence and Census facts. On mtDNA results, it would be nice to be able to automatically add them to the entire maternal line, and I don't know a way to do that.

To share a fact, select the fact and click on the Share button. You can then select any number of people who share the same fact. Be sure to assign them an appropriate role for the fact and to incolude template text for that role if you want the text to print in narrative reports. One of the current limitations of shared facts is that they don't appear in the Individual Summary of Family Group Sheet reports, although they will show up in Narrative Reports if you have template text defined for the chosen relationship. The report problem is well known and will hopefully be fixed in a future release.

#53910 Show on FamilyTree

Posted by R Steven on 20 November 2012 - 02:18 PM in Issues

That works great, thanks. It would be nice if a future version didn't have that requirement of being already logged in however.

#53882 Help File Label

Posted by R Steven on 20 November 2012 - 06:43 AM in Issues

When I display help, the help file says RootsMagic 5 Genealogy Software. I'm pretty sure it's just a labelling problem. I uninstalled RM5 when I installed RM6 and the help file has at least some of the RM6 features documented in it. This mislabeling is confusing for those of use that just switched over, however. It would be even more confusing for people who choose to keep both versions installed.

#53881 Show on FamilyTree

Posted by R Steven on 20 November 2012 - 06:40 AM in Issues

I noticed a new option in the FamilySearch tools when I'm using the Share data tab. I tried using the button that said Show on FamilyTree hoping it should go to my selected person in FamilyTree the same way the Show on NFS button takes me to that person in NFS. Instead it took me to the root record on FamilyTree (i.e. me). I can't find the information in the help file.

#53880 Adding PID into RM 6 from NFS using Family Search Central

Posted by R Steven on 20 November 2012 - 05:33 AM in FamilySearch Family Tree

I don't seem to have a problem with this, if I understand what you are trying to do. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by a Ref field. When I copy someone to RM 6 from NFS the person's PID automatically gets associated with them. It displays with the name if I choose that in the display. I checked this by going to Family Search Central and choose to list people in my Roots Magic file who were not already matched in FamilySearch. I selected a person and looked for a match. After I found one, their information was copied along with the PID. I have likewise been able to add people to FamilySearch when the person in that list was not already in FamilySearch and I chose to add them when there wasn't a match. Could you be more explicit about exactly what you were trying to do?

#53879 RM6 Whats New - Notes

Posted by R Steven on 20 November 2012 - 05:11 AM in Discussion

I can't find a way to do exactly what you described, but there are two ways you can do something similar depending on how you want to share your data. When you create a shareable CD, you can include a comment with the data similar to what you described above. You also can create a comment describing your whole file when you create HTML files or publish your data online.

#53669 Copying Custom Reports

Posted by R Steven on 08 November 2012 - 08:53 AM in Tips and Hints

A helpful RootsMagic feature which is on the wish list is an ability to copy custom reports from one RM file to another. Being an impatient sort, I wrote a little utility program which can do this for us while we're waiting for that feature to appear. You can install it from http://rsturley.net/...ort/publish.htm. The installation is cleanest from Internet Explorer, but should work okay using other browers. The program has internal documentation which can also be accessed at http://rsturley.net/RmReport/help.html.

WARNING: This program directly modifies your RM database. I have only tested on my own databases, so it would be wise to backup your database first and do this on a copy.

If you prefer to see video demonstrations rather than help files, I have created a screen cast of me installing and using it at http://rsturley.net/...rt/RmReport.wmv.

#53668 Source Template Maintenance

Posted by R Steven on 08 November 2012 - 07:46 AM in Sentence and Source Templates

I have been doing some maintenance on my sources and templates and wrote a little utility program to help me with a couple of things:
  • list all of the sources using a particular template
  • find a template containing certain phrases
  • list those custom templates I have created
  • list the templates I am actually using in my sources
  • merge similar templates into a single template in an intelligent way
I wrote a small utility program which currently does all of the above things except the last. The last item takes some care because it modifies the RM database. It also gets a bit complicated deciding how to handle fields which may not be exactly the same in the two templates. If you think the program might be useful for you, I happy to freely share it with others. You can install it from http://rsturley.net/...rce/publish.htm. It installs most cleanly using Internet Explorer as your browser, but should work okay with others as well.

The program has internal help which can also be viewed online at http://rsturley.net/RmSource/help.html.

Once you have installed it, it will automatically check for updates and changes in the program as I improve it or fix reported problems.

These kinds of reports and utilities would might be nice to have internally in RootsMagic some day and would be good to add to the Wish List.

#53667 Editing a family group sheet

Posted by R Steven on 08 November 2012 - 07:31 AM in Discussion

I can think of a couple of ways to do this. The simplest way is to create the family group sheet as an RTF file. You do this using the Save button rather than the Print button after the creating the report. You can then open up the RTF file using any number of programs which understand this format and edit it there. Two programs I know work with this format are Microsoft Word and OpenOffice.

Another way to do this would be to add the information you want to display as a custom fact for this person. If you make the fact private, you can control when you want to display this information on a report or not. If you choose this option, I would recommend creating a duplicate database and doing it from there. Otherwise, the relationship fact will clutter up your file which you might also want to use for other things.

#53612 Combining sentences on the Edit person screen

Posted by R Steven on 04 November 2012 - 11:09 PM in Tips and Hints

Thanks, I get it. I was locked into thinking of Fact sentences as complete sentences and not phrases.

#53594 File merges

Posted by R Steven on 03 November 2012 - 11:51 AM in Discussion

You can do this already by opening both files in RM and dragging the common name from one to the other. The trick is combining common records. After combining the two files, go to Tools/Merge and take advantage of one of the options there to combine common records. I prefer the Duplicate Search Merge usually because it lets me verify each potential merge to make sure it is legitimate and decide which data I want to use in the event of conflicts.

#53588 I/O errors

Posted by R Steven on 03 November 2012 - 06:40 AM in Discussion

I have had similar problems when using files on Dropbox. The problems went away when I moved them to a dedicated folder on the computer. When I want to share the file, I then copy it to Dropbox (or a similar program) explicitly and the problem has gone away.

#53564 Better Date Edited Information

Posted by R Steven on 01 November 2012 - 12:13 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

It would be nice if the date edited information could be more specific and triggered by more types of changes in my file. For example, the date edited seems to only change if I change facts about a person. I don't see a change if I do any of the following:

Add or Unlink a spouse
Add or remove a citation

It seems to only be triggered if I add or change a fact or name.

One way to get the changes log report others have requested would be to be able to have one of more date edited fields which changed any time things like family structures or citations changed as well.

#53561 Passenger fact-type

Posted by R Steven on 01 November 2012 - 10:53 AM in Discussion

If a person emmigrated to a new country to stay not just to travell, I use both the Emmigration and Immigration facts and combine the sentences on the Edit person screen if I know where they left from and where they went to.

The description is enabled and < as a passenger on the [Desc]>, is in both facts sentences in case I am only going to use one of the facts and enter the ship's name. When I combine both facts, the ship's name goes in the Emmigration fact.

I was interested in your statement that you combined the sentences for immigration and emigration facts on the Edit person screen. How do you do that?

#53496 Death Fact/Marriage Fact

Posted by R Steven on 28 October 2012 - 01:01 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

How would that data be used?

I occasionally come across evidence that a person died without having married or without having issue. It's useful for me to record this information so that others (or myself) don't spend time looking for a spouse or children I know don't exist.

Why would it be of any more benefit that just entering Single in the Death description field. With Single in the description, you could search for that keyword which I doubt you could do with just a checked box as you can't search for the choices marked for Proof?

One advantage to a check box over a comment is a standardization of how the information is communicated. If I share my file with someone else who has used a different standard, they might not find my evidence that a person died single, childless, or unmarried if I used a different system then they to indicate this fact. (Of course, since this isn't a standard GEDCOM fact, reporting this information between programs is will problematic...)

#53388 Color Coding questions

Posted by R Steven on 21 October 2012 - 08:00 PM in Discussion

You can get a pretty good list of linked descendants in the color coding by choosing the "People Selected from a List" option. In that dialog box, check the person whose descendants you're interested in. Now click in the Mark group button and choose Descendants of highlighted person. In the next box, select Descendants and collateral lines and the number of generations you'd like.

#53387 Privatizing living people

Posted by R Steven on 21 October 2012 - 07:53 PM in Discussion

Yes. How you do that depends on how you're sharing the data. When you export data or create a web page, there is a privacy option to privatize living people. You have several options of how to do that (replace name with "Living" or restrict the kinds of facts you print). You have similar choices when creating a web page.

If you want to create a printed report or PDF report, you need to take an extra step. The option of privitizing living people isn't part of that report. If you are doing a report that lists individuals instead of families, you can select which people you want to include in the report using a set of criteria in a list. One of the choices you can make is that they be not living. Alternatively, or if you are printing Family Group Sheets, you can export a GEDCOM file with a privacy option for living people selected as noted in the fist paragraph. Then when you make reports from that file, only the dead people will have their information included.

#53386 How can I merge a database into another?

Posted by R Steven on 21 October 2012 - 07:45 PM in Discussion

There are a couple of ways you can do this. The most convenient way depends on how many duplicate people here are in the two databases. If there aren't very many, you can export the smaller database as a GEDCOM file and then import it into your "master" database. You do this using the Export and Import choices in the File menu. When you import it, be sure to pick the choice to Combine Into This Database. You then have a choice on whether to add a citation to each of the people you are adding indicating where the data came from. (It doesn't sound like this is appropriate in your particular case.) After adding in the new records, you'll want to check for duplicates using manual or automatic merge.

If there are a lot of duplicate records in the two databases, but only a few records to add, another way might be better. After opening your "master" database, open the smaller database at the same time. RoomsMagic will show both files on the screen. You can then drag and drop people from one window into the other. When you do so you have the choice of adding a single person, a person and their descendants, everyone in the tree, people you select form a list, and so forth. After combining the two files in this way, you may again want to do an automatic or manual merge to combine duplicates.

#53363 Selecting People from a Marked Group

Posted by R Steven on 21 October 2012 - 06:17 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

One way to get some of this functionality would be to include the Group Name as a possible search field. Then, for example, if I already had a named group of Civil War Veterans, I could find the ones who were buried in Illinois by having criteria of being in the Civil War Veterans group and also having a burial place which contains Illinois.

This could be a really powerful feature for other kinds of searches. For instance I could look for people in my Civil War Veterans group who were also in my Descendants of William Brewster Group.