Vickil's Content

There have been 4 items by Vickil (Search limited from 17-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#51701 Handling Photos and Documents on your computer

Posted by Vickil on 11 July 2012 - 04:20 PM in General Messages

Nettie-Thank you for responding. Can you further explain how I transfer my files? I believe that the photos are in an Elements file. I don't remember setting up files for the pics. I have the program installed on my new laptop. So I should just find the file where the pics are at and install it on my new latop? Or, what if I want to store the pictures on an external hard drive? Will that make a big difference?

And, let me further complicate things. What if I rename the files? Since I did not really set up a filing system, just let the computer name it, what if I want to set the files up with surnames, etc?

Thank you for all your time and help.

#51140 Handling Photos and Documents on your computer

Posted by Vickil on 10 June 2012 - 01:25 PM in General Messages

I really need help on this one. I am trying to find the best way to handle photos and documents on your PC. I have an older desktop that I have most of my files on. A lot of the photos are not named or organized. I had purchased photoshop elements 7 and was working on a group of pictures, but later learned that if the photo was moved, etc that the photo would be lost. Now I have a new laptop and trying to get set up to work on my files. Is elements the best way to keep up with your photos, etc? The one thing I really liked was being able to tag each photo for each person in the picture. But, because I will probably have to move my photos to the new computer, have I created another problem? What does everyone else use? Any better ideas?

#46555 New to RootsMagic. Have several questions.

Posted by Vickil on 08 November 2011 - 11:34 PM in Discussion

Just wanted to say thank you for all the great information.
Have the full version installed. Had a little trouble doing the import. RM would not recognize the backup file on my ext drive. Had to use the file from the FTM that I had installed on new laptop. Not sure of the file. FTM tells me that there are incompatibilities every time that I open the file, and the file size is smaller than the original backup file. If nothing else, I can use it as Romer suggested, a test file.

I'm still not sure on which filing system I am going to use. I set RM to use the RIN numbering system. Its there if I want to use it, and it left the REFN# vacant, so that I can use that for something else. I went to Romer's link. There was a posting showing his ref system for his files on his hard drive. Interesting. His was complicated, but food for thought.

Thanks again for your help.

#46534 New to RootsMagic. Have several questions.

Posted by Vickil on 07 November 2011 - 11:05 PM in Discussion

Hi all,

I have made the dreaded decision that we all hate. To change programs. It has been a hard decision, but RM has won. It was a close race between RootsMagic and Legacy. I am transferring from Family Tree Maker V16. If I understand correctly, RM will transfer the file directly from FTM.

1. Since I am not a techy guru, will all the fields match, or will I have alot of data that will just find a place? How much clean up will I have?

2. Or, since I need to go thru each an every person, create my file system ( I have papers everywhere, semi-organized), no to do lists, no research logs, etc, should I just reenter all my info. Big job I know.

3. I downloaded the free version, over the weekend, and last nite I ordered the CD bundle. I received my reg key by email. Can I unlock the full version now? Or should I wait on the CD?

4. Color coding-Does it print on the reports? Ex. Family Group Sheet

I would like to thank you in advance for all your help. I'm sure this will not be the last time you hear from me.

Vicki