nabristow's Content

There have been 4 items by nabristow (Search limited from 13-November 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#84376 Events and sources dropped when importing from PAF

Posted by nabristow on 11 July 2017 - 11:27 AM in Issues

Update:
  Created a sample GEDCOM from PAF4; imported that into RM6 with almost all events/facts included. The PAF to GEDCOM converter has its own peculiarities, so some data (specific dates for some events, mostly) dropped out in that stage; they were noted in a .lst file. RM did take everything in the GEDCOM, but using the .lst report to attach the dropped dates to the right people and events is a daunting prospect, though not nearly as much as entering everything.

~ NAB

#84364 Events and sources dropped when importing from PAF

Posted by nabristow on 11 July 2017 - 09:44 AM in Issues

Zhangrau, RobJ:

Thanks for your quick responses.

I did not create a new GEDCOM from PAF to avoid an extra step, since RM boasts of compatibility with PAF and includes PAF as a choice in the import menu. I guess I’ll create a small GEDCOM with a variety of events/facts and see if that will import completely.

I did check both PAF and RM folders for any .lst or similar files – found nothing.

I picked up RM6 for cheap via a clearance sale mentioned in a RM News a couple of months ago just to see if it was worth the effort to migrate my data to a more flexible and up-to-date program. If so I’d upgrade to the most recent version.

Any progress or lack thereof will be posted here.

~ NAB

#84324 Events and sources dropped when importing from PAF

Posted by nabristow on 10 July 2017 - 12:38 PM in Issues

After installing RM6 with updates (6.3.3.2) I chose to import a large database (5,000+ individuals, most with notes and/or sources) from PAF4 by clicking on that option.
  The process went quickly and apparently smoothly. As I began to check out the RMfeatures I came to realize that only the default events (Birth-Death-Buried) and associated source notes were imported. None of the other types of events I had created over the years in PAF appeared in RM6.
  The list of 'facts' in RM closely matches 'events' in PAF, so I don't see why RM6 did not import such events as 'census'.
  I have checked F1 in RM6 and gone to the webinar indexes without any leads.
   What can I do to import these data?

1.     Is there a menu to include/exclude types of data to import?
  2.     Does RM6 create an error/omission report?
  3.     Would creating a GEDCOM from PAF and importing that work any better?

Otherwise I'm impressed with RM features and flexibility.

Thanks for any help.

~ Neil Allen Bristow

PS: A previous version of this post to this forum either did not register or evaporated over the weekend.  Gremlins?

#84236 Direct import from PAF4 omits events and source notes

Posted by nabristow on 08 July 2017 - 09:01 AM in Discussion

After installing RM6 with updates I chose to import a large database from PAF4 by clicking on that option. The process went quickly and apparently smoothly. As I began to check out the RM features I came to realize that only the Birth-Death-Buried events and associated sources were imported. Over the years I had made a point to create events, such as census in PAF, however none of these hundreds of events appears in RM6.  The list of 'facts' in RM closely matches 'events' in PAF.

1. What can I do to import these data?
  2. Is there a menu to include/exclude tapes of data o import?
  3. Is there an error/omission report?
  4. Would creating a GEDCOM from PAF and importing that work any better?

Otherwise I'm impressed with RM features and flexibility.

Thanks for any help.

~ Neil Allen Bristow