Tony126's Content

There have been 17 items by Tony126 (Search limited from 21-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#44570 2 points?

Posted by Tony126 on 21 May 2011 - 02:33 PM in Discussion

How do I correct or remove the following from appearing in my notes....[NEED TO DEFINE SENTENCE:Personality/Intrst] ?

Secondly, if I have added my web-page to the internet and wanted to remove it how do I or can I remove it or is it over-written if I replaced it with the same urrl? ie having modified the original.

#42519 Media Gallery

Posted by Tony126 on 05 February 2011 - 10:34 PM in Discussion

I have 2 data bases on my RM4. Both have different media galleries. One of them has become corrupted and the photographs have a mark on them in RM4. How can I remove this particular gallery. I find I can replace the photo but when I look in the media gallery there is a "clear" photo alongside the corrupted one. I have copied and pasted the file location without success. Would appreciate some help.

Thank you very much. Problem sorted.I did not think to check the tool bar. Lesson learned.

#42517 Media Gallery

Posted by Tony126 on 05 February 2011 - 09:28 PM in Discussion

I have 2 data bases on my RM4. Both have different media galleries. One of them has become corrupted and the photographs have a mark on them in RM4. How can I remove this particular gallery. I find I can replace the photo but when I look in the media gallery there is a "clear" photo alongside the corrupted one. I have copied and pasted the file location without success. Would appreciate some help.

#42439 USB File

Posted by Tony126 on 03 February 2011 - 10:34 PM in Discussion

After you restore the database, you can use Search, Search and Replace to change the path to where the photos are saved on your family member's computer if you didn't save them into the same folder path that you have them in on your computer.

The database extension for a RM4 database is rmgc.

Laura

Thank you Laura. It will probably pay me to re-visit and make sure they have it right on their computer...........hopefully. :D

#42437 USB File

Posted by Tony126 on 03 February 2011 - 10:23 PM in Discussion

the .RMGB is a RootsMagic backup file and does not need a fresh database created for import. Just using:

File -> Restore

from the Top menu and selecting the file from your USB drive ...will read from the backup file and create the copy of the database that was originally at your house.

Thanks for the quick response. Never tried the restore just the import. A case of not seeing the woods for the trees. To save a 60 mile round trip I will attach the file to an e-mail. Get them to load it onto their hard drive and then let them "restore" from there. I cannot see why that will not work.

#42435 USB File

Posted by Tony126 on 03 February 2011 - 09:24 PM in Discussion

I hope I am not repeating a similar post this evening.Have family members tree on my computer. Saved the file to hard drive when closing program. Copied said file Joan (2011-02-03).rmgb to USB drive. travelled to relatives house and installed RM4 successfully. Inserted USB and then went to import file from USB. The result was nothing transferred, Imported the photo file. Opened up RM4 created a new Data base and imported media from photo file. Why doesn't transferring *.rmbg file work? ( probably me but an explanation would help).

#42221 Second book

Posted by Tony126 on 27 January 2011 - 11:49 PM in Discussion

I have finished my first book and am pleased with the outcome. Saved in rtf to my hard drive whcich enabled me to put names on "IndividualSummary" pages. This book was for my wife's cousin. I now want to publish a second book for my wife's niece. The only pages that need replacing are those pertaining to cousin and niece as the rest of the book remains the same. If I have transferred the book from RM4 to my hard drive do I have to start again from scratch on RM4? There are 108 pages in the book.

#42173 RTF or PDF

Posted by Tony126 on 26 January 2011 - 05:52 PM in Discussion

I checked on the Table of Content page number issue in our tracking system. The comment left was "This is not a bug. After opening the RTF file in Word, they can right click on the TOC to update the page numbers of the chapters."

You hit the nail right opn the head. Thanks for everybody's input.

#42154 RTF or PDF

Posted by Tony126 on 26 January 2011 - 01:47 PM in Discussion

It seems like I have read of this before, but I cannot remember when.
But, I cannot figure out where there are page numbers in the bibliography.

It seems that what I saw before was more a problem with the page numbers listed in the Table of Contents.

You are right it is Table opf Contents numbers. Sorry about any confusion caused.

#42148 RTF or PDF

Posted by Tony126 on 26 January 2011 - 11:33 AM in Discussion

Tony, any other information of note that you can relate that might be of help? Anything unique to the number three relative to the other page numbers or anything else in your book?

Perhaps Renee will be able to state whether anyone else has reported this same type of issue in the past. If the pdf is giving you the results that you're expecting and the rtf is not, it's either an issue with the way the rtf has been formed or the way in which Word 2002 is interpreting it. Nettie mentioned using a narrative report, so I'm not sure if that was part of a book or a standalone report. If the latter, her experience may not be able to be compared to yours on an apples-to-apples basis. If the former, Word 2002 interpretation of the rtf might be the cause since she was using Word 2003.

On review perhaps I could/should have worded my intitial posting differently. The book page numbers on their own are correct and follow in sequence. It is the bibliography page reference numbers that all become 3 and not the individual pages throughout the book.

#42136 RTF or PDF

Posted by Tony126 on 25 January 2011 - 10:07 PM in Discussion

I use 2003 and my narrative report done in the latest version came out with correct numbers. Some times you have nudge Word to re do page numbers. I regenerate the Index pages because of taking out a lot of the extra white spaces/lines that are there. That helps. :)

I removed it and re-installed it. It did not make any difference. If yours works then it must be something wrong somewhere with my program.Thanks for your time.

#42107 File corruption

Posted by Tony126 on 25 January 2011 - 12:02 PM in Discussion

Some media did, some did not and in other places not all transferred. In view of your reply whwere does that leave me?
Secondly why am I showing only one book on my USB which is on my hard drive, when I have two saved? Should the USB be picking this up from my hard drive in the first place and if so why not both books?
Is the book exisitng on RM treated as media when the files are transferred to the USB?

From part of the RM4 Help for "RootsMagic-To-Go" (if relevant to your situation) relating to media:

#42104 RTF or PDF

Posted by Tony126 on 25 January 2011 - 11:39 AM in Discussion

Microsoft Word 2002

Tony, what word processing software are you using for your rtf?

#42096 File corruption

Posted by Tony126 on 25 January 2011 - 08:45 AM in Discussion

It all seemed to work fine as per the webinar. Problem. I attempted to publish a book (A) prior to the webinar on publishing. This was done by copying and pasting and a lot of editing but it worked. I then saved this to my hard drive. I then removed this book from RM and started a new book, different family member, book (B),as per the webinar and have left that on RM due to publishing problems already reported. In checking the flash drive after the transfer I opened RM and went straight to publishing the book. Book (B) was not to be seen but book (A) was.???
Also it did not open up on the root person it was on when the transfer was made. When I selected that person I found the media, photo, was missing altogether from the USB file. Have not checked anything else at the moment.(Still a superb program though and these glitches are to be expected).

#42095 RTF or PDF

Posted by Tony126 on 25 January 2011 - 08:17 AM in Discussion

In saving my book to the hard drive in RTF the bibliography page numbers all change to the number 3. This does not happen if I save it in PDF format.

#41928 Bibliography

Posted by Tony126 on 17 January 2011 - 10:12 PM in Discussion

BUT, in the publisher, If you change the title to reflect one person's Individual summary, the title at the top of every page is whatever you set it to for that one person.

[TITLE] just leaves you with "Individual Summary"
Maybe there should be another choice to add along with what is already there, [NAME]

This what I am finding. Changed the Header to reflect the persons name. That same name appears on every "Individual Summary " sheet. However not to be out done I moved onto the second person and made them my ' root person'. I then went into their "Individual Summary", typed in their name and then the second persons name appeared on every Individual Summary sheet including the first one I had already altered. Please do not interpret this in any way as a criticism as I think this [program is probably as good as it gets in genealogy programs.

#41916 Bibliography

Posted by Tony126 on 17 January 2011 - 04:24 PM in Discussion

I am in the process of publishing a book. The 'individual summary' comes up just as that in the title for that page iinstead of the name of the individual. Am I missing something within the setting of the page as I cannot see it?