RonB's Content

There have been 16 items by RonB (Search limited from 24-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#77645 MyRootsMagic websites are SOOOO basic!

Posted by RonB on 27 January 2016 - 06:54 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Why would someone switch from Ancestry/Family Tree to RootsMagic, then list all sorts of complaints (in multiple threads) with RootsMagic.  Not saying that there isn't room for improvement with RootsMagic, but those of us that have been using RootsMagic for some time, do not want a clone of Ancestry/Family Tree Maker (any more than we wanted a clone of TMG when TMG refugees switched to RM).  I have owned several versions of FTM and RootsMagic is far superior.  If I had wanted a program like Ancestry/FTM, I would have used Ancestry/FTM - I didn't want that.

#77644 Why such confusing terminology + other requests?

Posted by RonB on 27 January 2016 - 06:47 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I know some of these "suggestions" are intended to be constructive criticism, but I find it very insulting to the long term users of RootsMagic when someone transfers from another software package and starts requesting changes that will accommodate what they are used to.  Sorry, but the folks who have been using RM for awhile should not be required to change their methods and terminology to accommodate someone who made the choice to switch programs, but doesn't want to be inconvenienced by learning new methods and terminology. 

#75608 Another Genealogy Program Apparently Gone

Posted by RonB on 09 December 2015 - 08:36 PM in General Messages

Sad that RootsMagic is preying on the confused and angry masses.   Given that:

1) the current version of FTM will continue to work indefinitely, and 2) the current version of RM will not "sync" with Ancestry Member Trees (the biggest gripe), there is no compelling reason for anyone to switch to RM.

Actually, Legacy Family Tree is also offering a special to FTM usrs who WANT or DESIRE to switch.  It's a shame that there are those who see this as preying on folks who apparently are being viewed as poor lost souls.

#75382 Problem purchasing MyHeritage

Posted by RonB on 30 November 2015 - 06:08 AM in General Messages

Amazing!  My Data Subscription Purchase was accepted even though it was rejected at its webpage due to the invalid number they gave me to use.  After it was rejected,I got an email from them thanking me for the purchase, blah, blah.  Apparently they were somehow put on alert.

It is sad that sometimes we need to make noises to get access to the same services that the nondisabled get.

So all is ok now.

Karen

It's sad sometimes that Americans are so sue happy.  I respect the fact that you are hearing impaired, but don't take it out on the world.  Both I and my domestic partner have disabilities.  My partner has to use a wheelchair to get around.  Neither of us threatens a lawsuit every time we encounter an obstacle that challenges our mobility.

#74369 Baptism date on person list

Posted by RonB on 19 September 2015 - 05:16 AM in Discussion

I would be interested in knowing what RootsMagic's rationale is for programming the Christen fact to override a missing birth date, but not programming for the Baptism fact to do the same. Baptism and Christening are two entirely separate and distinc facts. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of an adult being Christened, but it is very common for an adult to be baptized. It is a poor decision in my opinion to tell a user to use the christen fact and just change the wording to say baptism (but, the fact itself will still be labeled christen).

#74012 RM on Android

Posted by RonB on 31 August 2015 - 04:58 AM in Android

Laura I have ver 1.2 ........is that the current updated Android RM??

The best way to find out if you have the latest version is to go to the Google Play store and "check for Updates".

#73432 Uploading Gedcoms to new Ancestry site - Big Problem!

Posted by RonB on 31 July 2015 - 05:13 AM in General Messages

Using alaskalady's logic, I want to see Bruce make his servers available to anyone and everyone who wants to publish the database that they have created in a competitor's software package.   It's going to make RootsMagic look small if Bruce doesn't open his servers to accommodate anyone who wants to publish their research on line, regardless of who's genealogy software package that is being used.  After all, RootsMagic makes their money from selling their various software packages and books.  They obviously can afford to provide space to everyone who wants to publish their tree online.  Oh, and of course, regardless of what genealogy package an individual uses, they must be allowed to manipulate their data from their package - don't expect them to purchase RootsMagic. 

#73124 Backup Issue

Posted by RonB on 06 July 2015 - 03:01 AM in Discussion

As I see it, the back up function is working exactly as it should.  When you select cancel overwrite, you have just told the program that you do not want to run the backup.  The program then exits from the back up function.

#72614 A suggestion regarding the Lollipop problem

Posted by RonB on 03 June 2015 - 07:40 PM in Android

Always a good idea to check the message boards if you think you might have an issue.  If you don't see your specific issue mentioned, you can start a new thread to find out if others are experiencing the same or a similar problem.  A lot of good information can be gleaned from the message boards. 

#72317 Using App to Edit

Posted by RonB on 13 May 2015 - 07:36 PM in iPad / iPhone / iPod

RootMagic app should be where you can edit in the tree just Ancestry.com app without charging the customer to use.

Ancestry charges you a monthly/yearly fee which is a much higher than the cost of a RootsMagic license.  For that reason, Ancestry can afford to provide a free app that lets you edit your database (you are paying for the service in your subscription.  How would you propose that RootsMagic support the cost of an app that lets you edit your database. An app that provides the ability to actually enter and edit date directly is much more complicated and costly to develop than an app that is strictly a reader.   App developers just like software developers do not work for free.

#72254 DNA

Posted by RonB on 10 May 2015 - 05:02 AM in General Messages

Thanks Laura

I've been away and, yes, all the discussion is on the RM7 forum. I've responded to "austrian_genealogy's " question on that.

As far as I can tell there isn't a central "General Discussion" point on the RM forum; instead there is one for each version of the program.

Pity.

Not really a pity.  That is why there are sites/mailing lists that exist for the purpose of discussing "general" genealogy questions.  Those sites/mailing lists are not software specific and therefore not limited to discussions and topics that are software specific.

#71769 Strange (?) RootsMagic Forum Message

Posted by RonB on 01 April 2015 - 05:19 AM in General Messages

Bottom Line - the "Thanks Renee" message was in fact posted to the forum.

#71403 This forum in Firefox vs chrome

Posted by RonB on 10 March 2015 - 07:38 PM in General Messages

No problems at all with the forums using FireFox.

#71273 Saving In RTF Not Working

Posted by RonB on 03 March 2015 - 07:31 AM in Discussion

Your response is abhorrent! This is a forum of users helping users. Your qualifications mean nothing and may result in shame when the answer is revealed. Get with the program if you want help from folks here. You can start by answering the first question posed to you in response. Do it now and get the help you obviously need!

Wish the moderators would activate the like button. LIKE

#71114 RM7 Crashes each time

Posted by RonB on 25 February 2015 - 06:16 AM in Discussion

I don't know if you should or shouldn't have a "yellow light" if you are not connected to the internet.  However, I'm curious why you would click on the yellow light if you know you are not connected to the internet.  By clicking on the yellow light, you are forcing the computer to try to connect to the internet - that would be why the computer freezes.

#70329 Enable WebHints Nag Window

Posted by RonB on 28 January 2015 - 12:49 PM in Issues

I was asked once if I wanted to enable web hints.  I said no.  I have not been asked again.  Not seeing any "nag".