Mackay's Content

There have been 9 items by Mackay (Search limited from 15-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#80149 Changing computers, upgrading RM4

Posted by Mackay on 14 July 2016 - 03:36 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and help. I finally hired an IT expert. It took him an hour and a half of patient, dogged work to finally transfer my RM4 database into the new, empty RM7 on my new Mac. Apparently Parallels and Windows 7 were putting a lot of drag on my older Mac, and Windows 7 or RM4 would crash time after time. He finally was able to drag my database onto his own Google Drive, then opened his Drive on my new computer and opened the database file.

Only one snag: My photos show up as thumbnails in RM7, and I can't fully open them. On RM7, there is an option to back up with media, but on RM4, we saw no option to do that. It's not the end of the world. I've already used them in a book I published with RM4.

I guess I can move each photo into RM7 as new photos, from my Mac photos folder.  Any other suggestions??

I'm very excited to work with RM7 on Mac!!!

Thanks again!

#79989 Changing computers, upgrading RM4

Posted by Mackay on 30 June 2016 - 07:12 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Renee, me again on a different discussion. I have already purchased RM7 for Mac and installed it on my new Mac. My RM4 database is on the old Mac, accessible only with Parallels and Windows 7. Would you suggest I upgrade my RM4 on the OLD Mac before trying to transfer it to the new Mac? I understand that, once purchased, RM7 will work on both PC and Mac. 

As noted on the RM for Mac forum, I'm having trouble backing up my RM4 database onto the flash drive.

Give me more details about your previous answer about using File-Open on the RM4 database to "convert to new file format." What will I see on the computer??

Thanks again....

Old dog...

#79987 Changing computers, upgrading RM4

Posted by Mackay on 30 June 2016 - 06:45 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Sorry, but I'm still having trouble. I've tried to use a flash drive, but when the computer recognizes it and asks whether it wants to be attached to the Mac or the virtual machine (Windows 7 on my older Mac, using Parallels), I don't know which answer to give. Technically, the RM4 database is only on the virtual machine, but if I choose the virtual machine, will the new Mac recognize the data stored on the virtual machine?

I've tried to use the Magic guide, opening it on one computer and trying to follow the instructions on the older Mac. But if I try to browse for places to store the back-up, the machine freezes. It only offers me a back-up on the old computer's hard drive. (This has been with the flash drive attached to the Mac....)

I'd like to use Cloud, but I've forgotten my password, or, at least,.the computer will not recognize the password I had written down.

Any other suggestions? Again, I'm not very computer-literate, although I own two MacBooks, a MacAir, an IPad and an IPhone, using only the most basic functions of each.

Help, please...

#79954 Changing computers, upgrading RM4

Posted by Mackay on 28 June 2016 - 09:40 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Thanks. Too many files to e-mail...May try USB...How would I use Cloud storage? (Files are in proprietary genealogy application....) Sorry, I'm not very computer literate...

#79938 Changing computers, upgrading RM4

Posted by Mackay on 27 June 2016 - 09:04 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Renee, I have bought and downloaded RM 7 for Mac on my new Mac. How do I copy my RM4 database to the new Mac? My RM4 database is accessible on my old computer only by using Parallels and Windows 7. I do not have or need those programs on the new Mac.

#79932 Changing computers, upgrading RM4

Posted by Mackay on 27 June 2016 - 11:55 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

I have an old RM version (#4) and want to upgrade to version #7 while, at the same time, switching to a new Macbook Pro and trying to use RM's new application for Macs. For several years I have been using Parallels and Windows 7.

I now have my new Macbook Pro, but, as expected, none of the RM files transferred to my new computer.

In what order do I do things, and how??

Again, I want to:

--Start using RM for Mac instead of the work-around using Parallels and Windows 7 (neither of which transferred to my new Mac anyway, so I do not have any RM files on my new computer)

--Transfer my large RM database to my new Mac.

--Start using the RM version for Mac.

--Upgrade to version #7.

This is beyond my capability, without explicit guidance from some of you. I apologize if this is a repeat. I thought I posted the question earlier, on my old Mac, and got one response, but nothing shows on this new Mac.

Step-by-step guidance needed and much appreciated!!!

#79894 Getting new Mac, want to upgrade and change RM

Posted by Mackay on 23 June 2016 - 08:34 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Tom, thank you. The Apple folks are transferring what files they can from my old Mac to my new one. When I get the new one, I will follow your advice. Would also be interested if knowing if there are Mac users out there who have done this. Thanks again!

#79887 Getting new Mac, want to upgrade and change RM

Posted by Mackay on 22 June 2016 - 08:36 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I'm using RootsMagic 4 on an old Macbook Pro, with Parallels and Windows 7. I have been having trouble getting into my RM database. What I want to do is buy a new Macbook (the current one has had several $1000-repairs),  update my RM version 4 to something much newer and begin using RM for Mac, instead of the work-around with Windows 7 and Parallels.

My questions are:

1) What are the right steps to take? What do I do first, second, third, etc?

2) The last time I tried changing from a Dell computer with my RM4 to the Mac, it took me about six months, and I was able to do it only with help from this group. So I appreciate all the help I got then, and hope someone can walk me through the steps I need now. Can someone walk me through this? I'm no techie. I have 30 years worth of genealogical research in my RM database.

#75242 Roots Magic 4 to Apple Mac

Posted by Mackay on 19 November 2015 - 08:17 PM in Discussion

Related situation...I currently am running RM4 on an aging Macbook Pro, using Windows 7 and Parallels. I'm having trouble with RM. It's slow, sometimes just stalls and even makes noise, like gears grinding.

I'd like to both upgrade to RM7 AND move my database from the precarious Macbook Pro to my newer MacAir, hopefully without the Windows/Parallels interface. Neither machine has a working CD drive (whether that matters or not).

Would my instructions be the same as for Prentonboy?

Eager to get back into RM!!

Thanks very much!