Ian Tresman's Content

There have been 13 items by Ian Tresman (Search limited from 23-August 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#56920 Descendant view: expandable/collapsible branches

Posted by Ian Tresman on 17 March 2013 - 05:48 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I wonder if the original request might have been for the right arrow to expand just that one person's family another generation.
That sounds like it would be nice, I don't usually care too much about moving everyone over a generation.

Correct, I'd like to be able to expand a selected branch, without the clutter of expanding all the other colaterial branches.

#56919 Descendant view: expandable/collapsible branches

Posted by Ian Tresman on 17 March 2013 - 05:47 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Thanks for the pointers, I've just found the arrows on the right-hand side of the screen, which appear if I set the generations sliders to 3 or 4, and there more generations to display.

#56918 Better navigation

Posted by Ian Tresman on 17 March 2013 - 05:42 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Just my personal opinion but the Pedigree view could get rather cluttered when you have a symbol for NFS and LDS ordinances if they are turned on. Another symbol would take up to much real estate.

True, but it could be a configurable option. Or the symbol could appear when your cursor moves near such as hotspot.

#56826 Descendant view: expandable/collapsible branches

Posted by Ian Tresman on 12 March 2013 - 04:18 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Would be nice of the Descendant view would allow me to display 4 generations, but with collpasible/expandable branches. At the moment, I display 4 generations to hide all the children and grandchildren. But then I want to focus on one branch.

So I click on a person in Generation 4, but I can't see a way to either (a) "expand their branch", (B) re-display the pedigree view, making the person in Generation 4, as the person main descendant © Navigating "down" the tree.

Clicking the Generation Number slider (a) means moving away from the person in question (B) loses focus, and it is difficult find the person you are interested in.

It is great that the Descendant View has red arrows to allow you to go "up" the tree, but it is missing a way to go "down".

#56825 Better navigation

Posted by Ian Tresman on 12 March 2013 - 04:03 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

1. Right-clicking is only one way of making a selection. An alternative is to just move the cursor over a "hot-spot" which brings up a pop-up (or drop-down) menu.

2. In pedigree view, it makes sense to show the hotspot with an unobtrusive symbol somewhere around a person's name box. It's location could be configurable, or even disabled. There could be one hotspot for siblings, and one for children. Perahaps the hotspot shows the number of siblings/children.

3. Personally I'd like to see the popup show siblings, children (and their spouses), together with birth and death dates. All this could be configurable.

#56638 Hourglass view

Posted by Ian Tresman on 02 March 2013 - 03:22 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Absolutely, no question about keeping the Pedigree view.

#56637 Family tab improvements

Posted by Ian Tresman on 02 March 2013 - 03:21 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I meant the children to display their spouses. And the birth/death dates are shown in the pedigree view on only the selected child.

Some families have 10 children, and the dates and spouses would help put them in context. I have no prorblems increasing the width of the sidebar (I can already do this), and you don't have to change its width if you don't want to.

#56636 Better navigation

Posted by Ian Tresman on 02 March 2013 - 03:17 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Yes, I've used the family side bar, but find it inefficient, To change a parent's child in the pedigree view, (1) I have to move away from the parent to select the Family tab (2) Go down to the required child (3) Go back up to Go. I'm coving a lot of screen real estate, and make numerous clicks.

It just seems better to me that if I have a parent highlighted, that I should be able to make the selection there, rather than move around the screen and take my eye off the highlighted parent. Right-clicking the parent to bring up a pop-up menu seems logical, or even better, hovering the cursor over a hotspot would not even require a mouse click,

#56626 Hourglass view

Posted by Ian Tresman on 02 March 2013 - 09:25 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I'd like the see the option to change the Pedigree view to an Hourglass View, so that I can see more than one sibling.

Of course I'd like the ability to change font (and box) size, and to drag the view around the screen!

#56625 Family tab improvements

Posted by Ian Tresman on 02 March 2013 - 09:18 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I'd like to see the Family Tab on the left:

1. Show a little more information for each individual, such as year of birth and death, and spouse.
2. Clicking a name is equivalent to "Go"
3. An "edit person" icon next to each name

#56624 Better navigation

Posted by Ian Tresman on 02 March 2013 - 09:07 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

When I have a parent selected, I want to be able to change the selected child by simplying right-clicking on the parent, and chosing the displayed child from a drop-down menu. (Likewise selected the parent's sibling, or other spouses). At the moment, I have to:
  • Move over to the family tab (if it is not selected)
  • Move down to Spouses and Children, and select my father's brother
  • Move up to the Go button. But now I lose my grandson, so I have to
  • Click the red arrow to the left of my father's brother.

Alternatively in the Pedigree view, I'd like to see "Hover icons" next to each name that shows pop-ups when I move the cursor over them, for:
  • Selecting Spouse and children
  • Selecting Parents and siblings
  • Showing the Person details

#56623 Pedigree navigation

Posted by Ian Tresman on 02 March 2013 - 09:02 AM in Discussion

Thanks for all the suggestions, I still feel that there is a lot of uncessary switching between pages, or clicking different parts of screen.

#56578 Pedigree navigation

Posted by Ian Tresman on 26 February 2013 - 05:31 PM in Discussion

Is there an easier way navigate a Pedigree tree? I'm showing the following with the paternal grandfather hightlighted:

**Grandfather**
		 Father
					 Grandmother
Grandson
					 Grandfather
		 Mother
					 Grandmother

Now, I want to change the display to show the father's brother, and his children. But I have to move the mouse to four(!) other areas of the screen:
  • Move over to the family tab (if it is not selected)
  • Move down to Spouses and Children, and select my father's brother
  • Move up to the Go button. But now I lose my grandson, so I have to
  • Click the red arrow to the left of my father's brother.
It would be much better if I could keep the cursor on the paternal grandfather, right-click, and choose the father's brother from the pop-up menu. And likewise other family members.