Willis's Content

There have been 10 items by Willis (Search limited from 03-July 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#41086 New version has a bunch of problems

Posted by Willis on 17 December 2010 - 02:38 AM in Issues

Thank you so very much for all your input. I had no idea that what I wrote would get so many responses. I don't get home from work until almost midnight, so I will download .9 and see how it looks. I have only had RM a short time compared to some of you. I had no idea that this apparently is an ongoing problem. I am semi-retired now, but I came from the computer industry (mostly mainframes if anyone even knows what I am talking about). The equipment was more expensive than the programmers in those days and there was much desk work included in testing as it may take a day or even more to get a test turned around. The customer never expected a product with errors and we always did thorough testing with test data provided by the customer,etc. We then did beta testing with the customer included and we purposely tried to break the product before putting it into production AND THE CUSTOMER HAD TO SIGN OFF ACCEPTING THE RESULTS.

Why Bruce and his people aren't testing RM further before releasing, who knows. Maybe they know it too well and are feeding it data with known results rather than trying to do it the way the user community would do it.

Oh, well. Let's wait and see what comes next.

Thanks again, everyone.

#41012 New version has a bunch of problems

Posted by Willis on 16 December 2010 - 03:28 AM in Issues

Does anyone have the previous version from the one released yesterday that I could somehow get?

I ALWAYS install the new versions in a different library until I am sure they work. This, of all times, I did not do that. I can't edit anything without it dropping it. I was updating a record for which I only had a name, but I had recently obtained the death certificate. I entered the birth, death, burial and it dropped all but the last one. I then went back and entered the death date and place and thought that it took it. When I went to enter the birth date and place it dropped the death date place. Saved the record hoping I could get around it that way. Entered the death date info again and save it. Brought up the record and it had dropped some burial information that I had entered.

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! Why doesn't RootsMagic put on its website that there are problems with the new release and to put off installing it until it is fixed AND IN ADDITION OFFERING A SOLUTION FOR THOSE THAT HAD ALREADY STUPIDLY REPLACED THE OLDER VERSION BY OFFERING THEM A COPY OF THE PREVIOUS VERSION UNTIL THE NEW ONE IS FIXED!!!!!

NOT HAPPY!!!!

#32910 Sex/Gender

Posted by Willis on 20 January 2010 - 03:27 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Boy, it would sure be nice if there was a sex indicator that would be carried through to ALL views of an individual. I am trying to match my unmatched to NFS. In some cases I may have only the last name of the spouse and only an initial for the given name of the other spouse. I have to exit the screen and go back to find out which one is the male and which one is the female. FRUSTRATING.

#32814 Missing Birth Year in Sidebar Index

Posted by Willis on 16 January 2010 - 06:27 PM in Issues

I can't say I agree with the solution, but Kim (RM) told me the way to resolve this issue is to export the file (gedcom) and then import it back into an "empty" file. I did this and it works, but then the probably continues. I don't know if they are trying to correct the problem or not. Might not hurt for you to open a ticket and see what kind of response you get.

P,S. It also happens with death years.

#32723 Divorce info

Posted by Willis on 11 January 2010 - 11:26 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

That might be nice too. Where I use the divorce is when the person appears to be young enough that they could have remarried. In the case of a female, they probably didn't take their maiden name back if they had children; therefore, they were married under their previous husband's surname.

#32718 Date Tools - Remember last used Tab

Posted by Willis on 11 January 2010 - 08:35 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would also like to be able to bring up the date calculator when I have a screen opened to add the person. I am new to RM, but more than once I have had the "new person" screen up and have to get out of it because the record I am looking at gives a death date and xy xxm xxd for the birth date. I then have to "exit" my new person screen, calculate the date using the date calculator and then bring up the person I was working on to get the date entered.

#32717 Comparison/RootsMagic to nFS

Posted by Willis on 11 January 2010 - 08:31 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

This may already be on the wish list, but I couldn't find it.

It sure would be nice if there was a way when you have the side by side comparison of an individual in your file to the linked person on nFS, that it would show in the case of more than one spouse, which marriage and associated sealing date went with which spouse, and which children were connected to which spouse. I generally copy the spouses over and then go to that spouse and bring them up. But I run into a problem when both spouses have more than one spouse. Is this making sense?

#32716 Divorce info

Posted by Willis on 11 January 2010 - 08:25 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Where I would use it most is on the "Family" screen. But it would be nice to have it on all screens/reports/lists that showed marriage info too so you would know that the person has been divorced.

#32555 Moving media library

Posted by Willis on 04 January 2010 - 04:57 PM in Discussion

Is there a way to move my pictures to another library and not have to relink all the pictures I now have for my file? Also, in the future I may want to split my file into a husband and wife line so that it will be more manageable and also easier to create gedcoms to send to the two sides of the family. It would be nice if I could split the pictures without having to relink everything, but I think under the present system, that would be impossible.

#32554 Divorce info

Posted by Willis on 04 January 2010 - 04:52 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would like to see (div) displayed to the right of the marriage date if the couple is now divorced (and a divorce record has been created for them)