- RootsMagic Forums
- → Emilito's Content
There have been 9 items by Emilito (Search limited from 14-November 18)
Apologies to all those that were panicked by my issues; hopefully there aren't too many Parallels users that have had similar stories (though I can't imagine I'm the only one).
The guilty version was released in mid-March; I restored a backup from early March. Between that time and now I only added one person (and I know who that is) and possibly made a few minor changes to the db. In the end, for me this potential "life's work disaster" has ended up as a very nerve-wracking time-consuming issue with no significant data loss.
I am very surprised however, that this Parallels issue, potentially damaging to so many other users of Windows database products (Quicken, etc etc - apps that I also use), was so little known. And am thrilled that the info was posted here.
Finally, as we now know that backups cannot be verified till they are restored, what is the recommended procedure for assuring that backups are, indeed, good? This still has potentially very scary outcomes.
I was working on the db for the first time in a few weeks.
While I was working, I suddenly got a message that said "SQLite Error 11 - database is malformed" ... I couldn't get it to work again.
Roots Magic Support said this was a corrupt database and that I'd have to restore from a backup. My last backup was May 1. And this is probably the last time I worked on RM, so I wasn't too worried.
I restored the backup and everything seemed ok, and I was navigating around and everything seemed to work. Then, to check the number of records (I had this number 9539 in my head) I clicked on "File - Properties" ... and I got the SQLite Error 11 message again.
When I checked with RM Support I was told that you don't know if a backup is good till you restore it.
Well, that just fills me with terror ... I tried to export to GEDCOM, and it only got up to 570 people and then gave me the same error.
So - what do I do now? Yes, I know I can go back to the April backup, and then the March, etc ... but Lord knows what I'll have missed ... I've got a large part of my life invested in this entire project, and now it seems as though, even though I back up everytime I add a person or two, there is no guarantee that the backup is good ... What do I do to ensure that? Export every backup to GEDCOM and then reimport into another db?
It's a very frightening prospect and I hope someone out there has some suggestions!!
(PS - I'm pretty sure the db I have up right now has all the records in it - is there a way I can find out what the error is?)
Yeah, it's other than the Discussion Forums:
Click on <Submit a ticket>
I just discovered something curious (besides no action taken)... At the beginning of the "Go"s, there's a Göbel and a Gödel, then Godoy, then ... then Goetz ... later, after González and others, there's a Görl ... this is curious because in the case of the umlaut, this is sorting as I would like it to, o and ö sorting together ... according to what I've been told about Unicode, all the Gö's should occur either before or after all the Go's (depending on where o and ö stand with respect to each other." But they don't ... Odd ...
The "González González" instance might have something to do with having a space separator, maybe.
Not getting Goetz with proper leading characters is the most confusing.
Yep, wierd. And try this...checking and unchecking Alternate Names will result in different results when typing those leading characters, even though neither result is an Alternate Name itself. Must be the Unicode search routines still need to be refined or a bug squashed. I had suggested that Emilio submit a support ticket, but am not sure he has...
Oh, I thought you meant I should post this problem here ... I guess I don't know how to submit a support ticket ... I'll look to figure it out, or drop me a note ... sorry ...