Jim Belanger's Content

There have been 13 items by Jim Belanger (Search limited from 17-January 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#53456 RM5 on iPad using Web Site Design

Posted by Jim Belanger on 24 October 2012 - 09:50 AM in Discussion

Tom
I put the web site in my "dropbox" and accessed it with my iPad from there. When I put it on the internet as a subdirectory of another web site I manage, it works with the iPad but I have to have access to the internet, which I was trying to avoid. Right now, it works at www.belangers.us/walsh/index.htm
I was trying to get it to work without going on the internet.

#53446 RM5 on iPad using Web Site Design

Posted by Jim Belanger on 24 October 2012 - 05:29 AM in Discussion

I've been reading about progress with RM5 and use on iPad. I took a small database and created a web site using RM5's web site creator. It works fine in my laptop (Microsoft XP). But, when I put it in my iPad, all I can do is look at each page. The index.htm doesn't work for searching or navigating. I can go on the internet with the iPad and look at web sites, why doesn't the RM5 web design work?

#52120 Adoptions, how to show parents?

Posted by Jim Belanger on 03 August 2012 - 09:15 AM in Discussion

When a child is adopted and we open the edit screen, then highlight the parents, we can change birth to adopted for relation. Assuming we have both sets of parents shown.

Then, when we high light the adoption line, on the right we see a field called "Parents".
Clicking on the down arrow allows us to select parents.
My question is: Which parents does this field want? The birth or the adoptive parents?

#51848 Record Number = Reference number

Posted by Jim Belanger on 16 July 2012 - 12:38 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

What I am saying is that I believe people that had a reference number entered with a sort date set to the number "1" and the Private block selected are either losing their sort date setting and Private setting or having the reference number dropped. I have now determined that everyone in the database with that surname has a reference number. So, if I come up with any missing from now on, I will know the program is dropping it.

On the group issue. I select the People View, Select the Group, create a new group, select people by Surname = Belanger, the program goes thru its work and comes up with 56,658 people, I click OK, it asks me for a group name, I enter Belangers, I click OK, the program locks up and I have to do a CTL-ALT-DEL to get out of it. Nothing else works.

#51775 Record Number = Reference number

Posted by Jim Belanger on 13 July 2012 - 10:47 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Thanks all. Alfred, your suggestion worked but I have two glitches. I did what you suggested and was able to find all people with the surname I was seeking who didn't have a reference number. I wrote down the record numbers and then updated those. But, thinking ahead, I thought "why not form a group with that surname?". So, I tried that. Created a new group with the surname. During that process, the program told me it found 56,000 plus (can't remember the exact number) with that surname. Continuing, I was asked to name the group; which I did. Then, when I clicked OK, the program locked up. It did this on my laptop and on my PC twice. I had to do a CTL-ALT-Dlt to terminate RM5 and the group never got saved.

The second glitch is: if I sort that "people" list with Name, Rec #, Ref # on the record number, they all seem fine. If I sort on the Ref #, I miss some numbers. I went into the missing number people and re-entered the ref number thinking that there might be a space before or after the number causing them not to sort in the right place; to no avail. The numbers go like this after the sort: Numbers 1 to 15 are missing, 16 is there, 17 to 19 are missing, 32 to 36 are missing, 38 is missing, I scrolled down thru the first 10,000 and did not find those numbers appearing. They must be somewhere but I can't find them. It's no biggee but just thought I would mention it.

#51745 Record Number = Reference number

Posted by Jim Belanger on 12 July 2012 - 04:55 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I tried to run a "list" report of all persons who did NOT have a reference number.
The program simply kept telling me it was Creating a Fact List and never stopped.
I finally had to cancel it after waiting way too long.

#51685 Record Number = Reference number

Posted by Jim Belanger on 11 July 2012 - 07:11 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I am computer illiterate but have used this program since the days of Parsons Technology and Family Origins. I have asked (begged) for an option to select which would make the reference number automatically be equal to the record number. When that resulted in no positive response, I asked for an update option which would go thru the database and make the reference number equal to the record number. No response to that. So, I had a very nice RM user take my 167,000+ name database and make all reference numbers equal to record number and make the sort date equal to 1 and make it "private". Now, the reference number appears at the top of each record and I can select to print it in reports or not from the "private" setting. OK, so now what's my issue? The reference number in many records seems to disappear. I can't prove it but, it seems that there are many records where I think there was a reference number, a sort date of 1 and a private option which are not blank and I have to re-enter them. This disappearance worries me as, if it is actually happening (and I can't prove that 100% of the records were updated by this Good Samaritan), is there other data that is missing??

Anyway, for what it's worth, I thought I would make one more plea for an option to automatically make the reference number equal to the record number so it could be used in large databases where hundreds of names are exactly the same and record numbers brings you right to the correct person.

Jim

#50545 Search Option

Posted by Jim Belanger on 19 April 2012 - 08:03 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

As some of our databases get larger, we encounter many indentical names but different people. We really need (and this is not the first time asking) a way to search for a Mary Smith married to a John Sullivan, for example. I know about the family search using Ctl-Shift-F but this is not what I'm asking for. In the search options, given name equals or contains and surname equals or contains; then an option for Spouse given name and surname would be a HUGE improvement.

#50542 Research Manager

Posted by Jim Belanger on 19 April 2012 - 07:56 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

The research manager is a great improvement for RM5. But, trying to enter data into it by looking for info in the database is honorous. We keep having to close the research manager, look up info in the database, open the research manager to edit, etc etc. This is a huge pain! Those of us who use two monitors can drag the research manager window to the "other" monitor and make entries but can't go back to the other monitor and look for things in the database.

#50212 Web site

Posted by Jim Belanger on 04 April 2012 - 07:47 AM in Discussion

The inclusion of a downloadable GEDCOM on your website is an option you have to select when creating a website. By default, it is not generated.

So, if the GedCom is not added, can someone tap the data?
That was the question.

#50210 Web site

Posted by Jim Belanger on 04 April 2012 - 06:31 AM in Discussion

I have my database copyrighted and want to prevent anyone from downloading it as I am always making corrections.
If I use the RM feature of creating a web site and either put it on CD or on the web, can someone download the data and import it to a genealogy or other data management program (excel, etc.)?
I don't mind someone looking up their family and transcribing but I don't want to find huge blocks of my research on the web.

#47605 Ref #, Record #, Source copy

Posted by Jim Belanger on 06 December 2011 - 09:38 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I'm not seeing this behavior. When I create a copy of a source it is moving directly below the master source I copied.

That's not what I'm experiencing. I have turned this in as a bug before, RM agreed it was a bug, they said it would be "fixed" but it never was.
When I "copy" a source, I am sent to the bottom of the list and have to navigate back to that source and, therefore, the copy, to edit it.

It's not going to a random number. The number you see in the RM Explorer Record# field is showing the person in the primary position. I actually prefer it that way. You could use your history or back buttons to go back easily to the father if you wish.

If I have a bunch of children to add to a family when the children are already in the database; I select to add parents, select an existing person, select record number, enter the ref number, select add to this family. Then, I try to add parents to another child (already exists in dbase) and say the father is an existing person, select record number, the last number I entered is not there and the number that is there has no relation to anything I can see.

Tools>File Options>Number to Display after Name. You can mark a Reference Number Private.

You misunderstand. I know I can do that. What I want is to have an option that "automatically" makes the reference number equal to the record number instead of having me enter it manually. Now, I have to enter reference number manually, enter the record number, and then click on "private". I want the program to do that and have been asking or that for about 5 years. I guess I'd just better give up. I also put the sort date as "1" so it comes up at the top of the edit person screen where it really belongs.

#47522 Ref #, Record #, Source copy

Posted by Jim Belanger on 05 December 2011 - 08:23 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I wish:
1. When making a copy of a source, the screen would stay somewhere near that source and not go to the bottom of the ist.

2. When you navigate to someone using the record number, the entered record number would stay in the entry block until you change it instead of going to some random number. That way, when adding existing children to a family, the number of the father would always be there as a default after entering it the first time.

3. A program option was available to force the reference number to default to the record number and the privacy setting for the reference number could be set to "private", also as an option. This would allow the reference number to appear at the top in the edit person screen and the private setting would allow us to print reports with or without the reference number.

Jim B