Ryan's Content

There have been 24 items by Ryan (Search limited from 17-November 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#32629 cant find page

Posted by Ryan on 07 January 2010 - 01:43 PM in Family Atlas

Thank you for your help.

Ryan

#32587 cant find page

Posted by Ryan on 05 January 2010 - 07:39 PM in Family Atlas

I just recieved family atlas. I went to help menu and checked for updates. This is what I got: "404 - File or directory not found". Any suggestions? I have version 1.0.4.80 (28 Nov 2006). Is this the latest version?

Also I had to load my rootsmagic tree with gedcom format instead of with the rootsmagic format? Any suggestions?

Thanks new to family atlas.

Ryan

#29869 RM4 Book

Posted by Ryan on 14 September 2009 - 03:07 PM in Discussion

Thank you for the update!!! I cant wait to start looking at it! :D

#29867 RM4 Book

Posted by Ryan on 14 September 2009 - 02:42 PM in Discussion

Anyone receive there book yet? ... or know when it may ship? The blog said 3 weeks ago "The book Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic 4 is on a truck racing towards our warehouse."

I know delays happen not a concern. Just wondering if it was in yet?

#27168 Gallery

Posted by Ryan on 31 May 2009 - 11:08 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Thank you Romer...I didnt know about that! That will make it so much easier! There is still alot I dont know about this program and cant wait for the book to come out.

#26980 Adding multimedia?

Posted by Ryan on 27 May 2009 - 06:51 PM in Discussion

Thank you Romer and Vyger! I guess I didnt relize it would bog down the program that much. I figured in the long run it would be easier to have it right in the program, but I don't want to sacrafice the speed of the program to get it. I greatly appreciate the input.

#26972 RM 4.0.2.1

Posted by Ryan on 27 May 2009 - 02:49 PM in Discussion

Thank you for the response...and great work!

#26970 Adding multimedia?

Posted by Ryan on 27 May 2009 - 02:46 PM in Discussion

Is there a way to add multimedia to RM without having it linked to a different folder on the computer? If for some reason the folder gets moved or I have to change computers, wont all the links be broken? Wouldn't it be better just to add the pictures to RM instead of just the link? Hope this all makes since and its not a stupid question, maybe I am just missing something...

Thanks for the help!
Ryan

#26968 RM 4.0.2.1

Posted by Ryan on 27 May 2009 - 02:38 PM in Discussion

Whats the difference between 4.0.2.0 and 4.0.2.1? Why were they released 1 day apart?

#26632 Adding sources?

Posted by Ryan on 14 May 2009 - 08:01 PM in Discussion

Yes...thank you. Although I would like it to have a option for fact source, the general source works for me in this case. Thank you for the help.

Ryan

#26628 Adding sources?

Posted by Ryan on 14 May 2009 - 03:22 PM in Discussion

Is there a way to add the same source to a group of people: all ancestors of an individual? Thanks for any help!

Ryan

#26506 Tip for working with media files.

Posted by Ryan on 10 May 2009 - 11:55 PM in Discussion

Thank you for the tip! A lot easier to rename files than what I used to do. Thanks again!

#26194 RM4 Shareable CD

Posted by Ryan on 29 April 2009 - 10:51 AM in Issues

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ Apr 28 2009, 02:04 PM) View Post

OK, the media album access violation on shareable CDs will be fixed in the next update too. It *was* a bug in the image library we use, but we have the source code for that library and were able to fix the bug for them.

Thank you for the update!!!

#26098 How to Safely Use RM4

Posted by Ryan on 26 April 2009 - 10:22 AM in Discussion

I have had no problems what so ever! I do save after adding data, but I have not lost anything to make this a concern. I have about 4500 people in my tree and it handles it flawlessly!

Ryan

...well now thinking back there has been a few gliches but nothing that would mess up my data...just reports and such

#25886 Rule to mark people as not living

Posted by Ryan on 20 April 2009 - 06:50 PM in Discussion

QUOTE(Canuk @ Apr 20 2009, 02:48 PM) View Post

Are you using RM3? This worked like a charm in RM3. As a matter of fact, I seemed to recall the steps as I was checking them out. The choices are different in RM4.

Still trying, thanks.
Wish I could say it was so, but all the boxes are unchecked, even for the people that I know for certain are alive or dead.

No, I am using RM4...

#25884 Rule to mark people as not living

Posted by Ryan on 20 April 2009 - 06:38 PM in Discussion

QUOTE(Canuk @ Apr 20 2009, 02:11 PM) View Post

Sorry, this didn't work. After Tools-->Set Living-->Set "Living" to <False> for a selected group of people--><OK>, the dialogue box closes and you are back to the database without having the option of making the rule. Also, I guessed for the 'selected group of people' that I should select 'everyone in database'. This resulted in everybody being set as living.

Glad I backed up!

Thanks for trying. I'm open to other solutions.

It worked for me, instead of selecting 'everyone in database' choose 'select from list'. Then go to 'unmark people' and choose everyone, then click on 'mark people' and choose 'select people by data fields' then follow "kbensOn" notes:

"-->Death -- exists -- is True
OR Burial -- exists -- is True
OR Birth -- date -- is before -- 1900

Then after it reports the quantity of individuals that it marked:
Press <OK>"

Hope this clears it up for you, and doesnt confuse you more...but it did work for me!

#25831 Received RM4 CD today, should I download?

Posted by Ryan on 17 April 2009 - 09:45 PM in Discussion

Thank you, just wanted to confirm!

#25823 Received RM4 CD today, should I download?

Posted by Ryan on 17 April 2009 - 07:15 PM in Discussion

I just received the RM4 CD in the mail today. I already have RM4 on my computer, from the internet download and for the most part seems to be working great. I checked for updates and I have the most recent version. Should I down load the CD or are they the exact same thing? Any comments welcome...

Thanks,
Ryan

#25820 rm4 tutorial

Posted by Ryan on 17 April 2009 - 06:48 PM in Discussion

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ Apr 17 2009, 08:15 AM) View Post

I have put up a quick and dirty link to the tutorial here:

http://rootsmagic.com/tutorials/rm/

We will be making more tutorials available down the road, but this is the same basic tutorial that is on the CDs.

Thank you, I will be waiting for the more detailed turorial!!! biggrin.gif

#25774 RM4 Shareable CD

Posted by Ryan on 16 April 2009 - 08:20 PM in Issues

As soon as I click to make the CD, it shows a box "collecting media..." and then it frezes? No idea, I will be contacting RM support.

#25427 a different RM4 exporting problem

Posted by Ryan on 07 April 2009 - 01:11 PM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(Romer @ Apr 7 2009, 08:25 AM) View Post

Just open your .GED file with a word processing program, make any changes there, and resave the file, making sure that it still maintains the same extension. You should then be good to go as far as trying to reimport that file into FTM.

Thanks all!!! With your help the problem is solved. I opened the .GED file in Word and on the version line: "2 VERS 5.5.1" - I erased the .1 and saved it. Must be the 5.5.1 was messing it up so now it reads 5.5 and it worked. Thanks again!!!

#25422 a different RM4 exporting problem

Posted by Ryan on 07 April 2009 - 12:01 PM in RootsMagic 3

Would not import at all.

"2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8

It's definitely greater than 5.5 (the blue) but may be having a problem with unicode support (the red). Don't know if changing that red text to:

CHAR ANSI"

is ther a way to change the CHAR, sorry I am new at the GEDCOM feature and geanology. Thanks for the help.

#25419 RM4 importing a group of multimedia?

Posted by Ryan on 07 April 2009 - 11:10 AM in RootsMagic 3

Is there a way to import a group or file of multimedia into RM4 photo gallery. I have a folder where I store all of my pictures, is there a way to import them all at once or do I have to do them one at a time? Thanks

Ryan

#25418 a different RM4 exporting problem

Posted by Ryan on 07 April 2009 - 11:05 AM in RootsMagic 3

I was tring to export from RM4 to Family Tree Maker 2009. FTM2009 would not import it, it showed an error message: "GEDCOM file must me version 5.5 or greater". Does anyone know what GEDCOM version RM4 makes or how to get around this problem? Thanks.

Ryan