pjmpjm's Content

There have been 13 items by pjmpjm (Search limited from 24-August 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#27108 RM4's New GEDCOM Export Format Causes Problems

Posted by pjmpjm on 30 May 2009 - 04:01 AM in Issues

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Apr 12 2009, 11:56 PM) View Post

The latest RM4 update seems to have solved the previous GEDCOM export issues with RootsWeb. I've had private confirmation from some of the RM users who regularly upload to RootsWeb online databases that the newest RM4 version now creates a GEDCOM acceptable to RootsWeb. My understanding is that there was nothing at all wrong with RM4's GEDCOMs, but that RootsWeb had special requirements.

I'd be happy to hear from others who have faced this difficulty, especially if any RM4 GEDCOM issues remain.

For myself, I consider this chapter closed. Thanks, Bruce! biggrin.gif

Best wishes

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

#27005 RM4.0.2.0

Posted by pjmpjm on 28 May 2009 - 07:26 AM in Discussion

At first try, former complications in exporting a RM$ GEDCOM that is acceptable to RootsWeb seems to be solved. Am double checking right now. smile.gif

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

#25606 RM4's New GEDCOM Export Format Causes Problems

Posted by pjmpjm on 10 April 2009 - 11:14 PM in Issues

Hi Yallcome

I wrote to you directly but realised that it would be better to repeat my report here, for others to see.

So far, I can't replicate your interesting experiment, which was:

1. You exported a RM4 GEDCOM, then reimported it into RM4 as a brand new database.

2. Then you exported the resulting new RM4 database as yet another new GEDCOM.

3. Finally, you uploaded this newest GEDCOM successfully to RootsMagic, without display or source problems, and without having to strip any GEDCOM tags.

My own experience was unfortunately quite different. The 'doubly-created' or 'filtered' RM4 GEDCOM I uploaded to RootsMagic, both without stripping tags (same distastrous display) and with stripping tags (same problem in displaying sources and many 'fatal error level' reports when at least three digits follow a CONT tag in the GEDCOM) didn't seem to make any difference at all.

I tried this experiment with RM4 databases that were creating both by direct import of the RM3 database into RM4 -- and by importing a RM3 GEDCOM into RM4. Same problems resulted in both cases.

Another experiment not yet tried by myself -- exporting a RM4 GEDCOM and importing it into a new RM3 database, then exporting a RM3 GEDCOM, and then finally uploading the resulting GEDCOM to RootsMagic.

If this latter method worked, it would allow me to keep using RM4 as my primary genealogy database, and still maintain my RootsWeb site. However, it would involve some extra trouble and I'd have to see if it's worth it.

For the present, I've reverted to using RM3.

For the record, in case it matters, my RM database is just over 59,000 individuals in size, with some 3500 sources.

Hope this helps keep others up-to-date on the RM4 GEDCOM export situation.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

QUOTE(yallcome @ Apr 9 2009, 11:07 PM) View Post

Hi guys --

Just had a note from Bruce when I got home. He suggested I export my RM4 data to a GEDCOM, then re-import it into RM4 to see how it looked. It looked fine. So I went ahead and re-exported the new RM4 data to a GEDCOM and uploaded it to RootsWeb (the new way, not stripping anything) and it took and looks fine. Sources, Spouses, and all.

Don't know what that did, other than possibly do a final scouring on the data that came over originally from RM3, but hey, it worked.

to a file

Hi Barry

It might be worth your while trying Yallcome's 'double GEDCOM export' experiment that I just outlined.

And it won't hurt to strip the _BIBL _COLOR _SDATE _SUBQ _TMPLT _UID tags when you upload to RootsMagic, just to be sure.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else can successfully 'scour' or 'filter' a RM4 GEDCOM in this way.

I'm going to try it a 3rd time later this weekend, in case I've done something wrong.

Please write again if you have success -- or even if you don't!

Good luck!

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

QUOTE(BarryBoyer @ Apr 9 2009, 10:57 AM) View Post

Is this the sort of problems folks are seeing?

Birth: 3 AUG 1900 in Oregon, USA
_TMPLT:
FIELD:
Name: Page 1
Census: 1910
_SDATE: 1 JUL 1910 Buena Vista, Polk Co., Oregon, USA
_TMPLT:
FIELD:
Name: Page
VALUE: Ancestry.com image 3 of 10 (October 2006) - District 238 2
Census: 1930
_SDATE: 1 JUL 1930 Chepalis, Grays Harbor Co., Washington, USA
_TMPLT:
FIELD:
VALUE: Chepalis, Grays Harbor, Washington; Roll: 2488; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 20

The above is part of my database on RootsWeb's WorldConnect

#25562 First RM4 Update & GEDCOM Export Issues

Posted by pjmpjm on 09 April 2009 - 06:34 PM in RootsMagic 3

Hi Yallcome

Thanks for your very quick response!

From what you write, I can see that I did exactly the same thing you did. You even answered the question I didn't yet ask -- you told me that you had imported the data from RM3 to RM4 directly and not via a GEDCOM!

Having spent so much time trying to clean up my RM4 GEDCOM, I was extremely hopeful that this method would solve my RootsWeb source display problems once and for all, without a huge manual cleaning of my datasbase (which has more than 59,000 individuals and 3500 sources).

My next thought is to import my RM3 data into RM4 via an import of a RM3 GEDCOM -- and then try your method.

Another plan I thought to try over the weekend was to export a RM4 GEDCOM and import it into RM3. (Am told by a helpful RM4 GEDCOM expert that this will work.) And then export the resulting RM3 database as a GEDCOM and then upload to RootsWeb.

I really wonder why your method works for your database and not for mine. I might try your method one more time -- very carefully -- before I give up. I might have done something wrong.

Anyhow, your input is much appreciated and I'm really glad you solved your own RM4/RootsWeb problem.

Can you tell me how large your database is, just for a comparison?

Best wishes

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

QUOTE(yallcome @ Apr 10 2009, 03:30 AM) View Post

Hi Patrick -- I just came home from work for the day and did this again.

Opened RM4
1 Imported my RM3 database from the RM3 file (not a GEDCOM)
2 Exported the "new" RM4 data to a new GEDCOM
(uploaded that to RootsWeb just to see if what had happened earlier was a on-off thing
-- it didn't work - got same errors in spouses and sources again -- all mixed up.)
3 ReImported the new GEDCOM into RM4
4 ReExported the RM4 data to a GEDCOM
5 Uploaded to Rootsweb -- no fiddling or anything, using the new interface.
6 Perfect!

Weird, huh?

It's almost as if the import from RM3 was dirty, and needed to be cleaned up by re-exporting and re-importing.

m2

#25546 First RM4 Update & GEDCOM Export Issues

Posted by pjmpjm on 09 April 2009 - 08:55 AM in RootsMagic 3

Hi yallcome

I've tried to replicate what you described below, but failed. I may not have fully understood what you did, so I'll outline what I tried over the past hour, and ask you to give me some feedback.

I first exported my RM4 database as a GEDCOM. Then I re-imported the GEDCOM back into RM4 as a completely new database. Finally, I exported this new database as a completely new GEDCOM and uploaded it to RootsWeb.

At first, I didn't strip any tags from the GEDCOM when I uploaded it. The result was the usual more-than-doubling of names in the RootsWeb database and lots of extraneous tags showing.

I then uploaded the same GEDCOM a second time, this time stripping the known troublesome tags. The result was the same large number of RootsWeb 'fatal error level' messages -- wherever at least three digits followed a CONT tag -- and an overall failure to show full sources.

(I can give more details of these various errors to those who want to know more. And can outline experiments tried over the past week. But this latest outcome was basically the same problem as experienced initially, when uploading a normally produced RM4 GEDCOM to RootsMagic.)

Any chance I missed something? I was very excited to hear of your success, but am of course very disappointed at present.

Hoping to hear from you.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

QUOTE(yallcome @ Apr 9 2009, 11:09 PM) View Post

Hi guys -- posting this here too, since it seems to be same type of thread.

Just had a note from Bruce when I got home. He suggested I export my RM4 data to a GEDCOM, then re-import it into RM4 to see how it looked. It looked fine. So I went ahead and re-exported the new RM4 data to a GEDCOM and uploaded it to RootsWeb (the new way, not stripping anything) and it took and looks fine. Sources, Spouses, and all.

Don't know what that did, other than possibly do a final scouring on the data that came over originally from RM3, but hey, it worked.

#25540 RM4's New GEDCOM Export Format Causes Problems

Posted by pjmpjm on 09 April 2009 - 05:58 AM in Issues

Hi Barry

You'll need to strip the following GEDCOM tags when you upload to RootsWeb:

_BIBL _COLOR _SDATE _SUBQ _TMPLT _UID

This can be done on line 32 of the 'old' upload system.

Let me know if you need more details about how to to this.

However, it probably won't solve the whole problem of the proper display of sources.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

QUOTE(BarryBoyer @ Apr 9 2009, 10:57 AM) View Post

Is this the sort of problems folks are seeing?

Birth: 3 AUG 1900 in Oregon, USA
_TMPLT:
FIELD:
Name: Page 1
Census: 1910
_SDATE: 1 JUL 1910 Buena Vista, Polk Co., Oregon, USA
_TMPLT:
FIELD:
VALUE: Ancestry.com image 3 of 10 (October 2006) - District 238 2
Census: 1930
_SDATE: 1 JUL 1930 Chepalis, Grays Harbor Co., Washington, USA
_TMPLT:
FIELD:
VALUE: Chepalis, Grays Harbor, Washington; Roll: 2488; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 20

The above is part of my database on RootsWeb's WorldConnect

#25465 RM4's New GEDCOM Export Format Causes Problems

Posted by pjmpjm on 08 April 2009 - 04:14 AM in Issues

I've been working with the RM4 GEDCOM export process for some days now, but still haven't found a fool-proof way to get all my sources to display properly when uploading my GEDCOM to RootsWeb. Others have reported similar problems. It may be that Bruce and the RM team are working on this one.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

QUOTE(yallcome @ Apr 8 2009, 04:45 PM) View Post

Nope -- issues not resolved with update. Still having spouse problems (haha) and source problems with uploads to Rootsweb.

#25131 First RM4 Update & GEDCOM Export Issues

Posted by pjmpjm on 31 March 2009 - 11:22 PM in RootsMagic 3

Thanks, Romer. You have indeed explained the RM4 GEDCOM issue much more clearly then I did in my last hurried post.

I was very,very excited when I wrote that last entry!

I've been using Bruce's software for quite a few years now, going back to the early Family Origins days, and am a real 'believer' in his database approach.

Many of us would have been quite willing to have to 'tweak' the RM4 GEDCOM export process in order to make it work with RootsWeb, but it appears that Bruce has very quickly remedied the anomalies.

I hope others thinking of switching to RM will take note that we have a dedicated enthusiast behind our software, who takes RM very seriously -- and that they will not be put off by those of us who flood this forum with our questions and misunderstandings.

RM is a truly excellent genealogy database and gets better with each new version.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

#25128 First RM4 Update & GEDCOM Export Issues

Posted by pjmpjm on 31 March 2009 - 10:23 PM in RootsMagic 3

Correction: I've now re-uploaded to RootsWeb another GEDCOM exported by RM4.01.1 and my sources all seem to be appearing! I did this without stripping any GEDCOM parameters off the uploaded GEDCOM. It appears that this issue was addressed by Bruce in his first update!

#25127 First RM4 Update & GEDCOM Export Issues

Posted by pjmpjm on 31 March 2009 - 09:57 PM in RootsMagic 3

I've only just had a very quick look at RM4 after installing the first update (4.0.1.0), but immediately exported a GEDCOM to test.

This GEDCOM, when uploaded to RootsWeb, seemed to show fewer problems than those exported by the initial release of RM4.

However, sources still weren't displayed.

Feedback from other RM4 users would be most welcome.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

#25109 RM4's New GEDCOM Export Format Causes Problems

Posted by pjmpjm on 31 March 2009 - 05:30 PM in Issues

Hi Romer

Thanks very much for your reply.

You've hit the nail right on the head. Several of us are trying -- by trial and error -- to work out what new, additional information is being exported in RM4 GEDCOMs.

When we establish this, we can 'strip out' those parameters, those GEDCOM tags, and create a GEDCOM that's identical to RM3's export.

The uploading software is RootsWeb's own built-in upload facilty, which has a function (line 32 in the 'old' upload program) that allows manual removal of any specific GEDCOM tags in the upload process.

So far, I've been able to solve all the weird display problems except for the display of my sources. I can't get them to display at all, really.

The GEDCOM parameters in question are: _UID,_SDATE,_COLOR,_TMPLT,FIELD,VALUE

and possibly also _BIBL and _SUBQ -- I'm still experimenting. There may be more.

More feedback appreciated!

Best wishes

Patrick

QUOTE(Romer @ Apr 1 2009, 03:32 AM) View Post

What application are you using to import your GEDCOM into your online database? With all the added functionality in RM4, the GEDCOM export would undoubtedly be different and more varied than under RM3, as you mention. As a result, it sounds as though another possibility could be with the online application's ability to handle any new or altered GEDCOM tagging.

In looking at several of these problem entries, are you seeing the same problems in the GEDCOM export file that you're also encountering once you bring it your online database? Are there any additional problem details that you can relate to help someone in determining what the explanation to what you're seeing might be?

Hi kbensOn

Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes, I'm participating in the RootsMagic-Users newsgroup at RootsWeb and receiving help there.

More feedback from GEDCOM experts will be appreciated.

I especially need to know what GEDCOM parameters might be interfering in the display of my sources.

Best wishes

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Apr 1 2009, 04:15 AM) View Post

This thread will be helpful if you are referring to Ancestry.com or RootsWeb WorldConnect:
http://archiver.root...9-03/1238434827

#25004 RM4's New GEDCOM Export Format Causes Problems

Posted by pjmpjm on 30 March 2009 - 01:03 AM in Issues

I didn't get any response from my earlier message, so thought I'd simplify my question and try again.

RM4 seems to export GEDCOMs in a different format from RM3.

Can anyone explain exactly what has changed?

I can't upload my GEDCOMs to my online database without showing scrambled information and the notation "PLACE" showing up everywhere!

So, with much regret, I've had to revert back to RM3.

Feedback from the GEDCOM experts will be very much appreciated . . .

Thanks!

Patrick

#24952 Exporting GEDCOMs with RM4

Posted by pjmpjm on 28 March 2009 - 08:40 PM in RootsMagic 3

Iíve been using RootsMagic and its earlier versions for more than five years now, and even longer than that have been using the RootsWeb site to upload my GEDCOMs and share my data. I have about 60,000 names in my database.

After switching from RM3 to RM4 the other day, I uploaded my new GEDCOM and was surprised to find that RootsWeb reported more than 140,000 names. (I had watched RM4 do the export process, which seemed much slower than with RM3, but it definitely only processed about 60,000 names.)

Then I checked the RootsWeb site and saw that sources werenít included in my database any longer, but new entries called PAGE were included.

I immediately uploaded my newest RM3 GEDCOM (having learned years ago never to delete anything old until the new version is definitely working) and immediately the RootsWeb site was back to normal.

So there was some issue with the way RM4 is creating a GEDCOM, which is different from how RM3 does the task.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Iíve checked on my options for exporting GEDCOMs with RM4, but nothing jumps out at me. The options seem similar to RM3. What would be the differences with the new RM4? Perhaps someone with technical expertise could advice me.

Remember: when I switched back to the older GEDCOM, generated by RM3, RootsWeb produced pages with sources, and no odd PAGE entries. So this isnít a problem with RootsWeb. Itís a difference in the way that RM4 (and me) are producing GEDCOMs.

Needless to say, I really want to solve this problem!

Many thanks.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au