John_of_Ross_County's Content

There have been 49 items by John_of_Ross_County (Search limited from 15-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95296 7.6.1 Add mother to Child creates blank child

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on Today, 07:37 PM in Issues

Try again with a test child#2.

Then click on Add Parents

Then add the father with data.

Then add the mother1 with details.

It seems to work better with this sequence.

mother1 dies

Now select father

Now click on Add spouse

Add Mother2

#95170 Burial Place report with names

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 05 September 2019 - 09:34 PM in Discussion

I think I posted this note about 5 or 6 years ago.  The suggestions seem to fit Jerry's and Vyger's comments earlier in this series.

-------

Proposal to implement printing of place notes

I have used the descriptive placename notes for a few items such as major Civil War battles or old historic battles in Old England.  However, they do not print as part of any general report. 

1] Add a checkbox to each placename.  The checkbox would enable printing of the place note if it exists.  If the place note for a placename is empty and the checkbox is enabled, it would be ignored.  The purpose of an unchecked box where a note exists would be for privacy of the note.  If the privacy brackets {} would work, this checkbox would not be necessary.

2] Add a user selection box to each report similar to [Index Options] and [Placename Options] in the Narrative Reports.  Print all placename notes referenced in this report if the checkbox for printing the place note is checked.  The placename notes would be best as a separate appendix. The placename or the expanded placename with the place detail name should be inserted as a header before each note.  The order of printout either forward or reverse should be the same as the printout of the placenames. This should work for place notes either in place details or in the older fully formed placenames.

3] I know that the Civil War was not a placename.  However, it works for me to use “Civil War” or “WWI” or “WWII” as placenames.  By extension, then “Civil War 149th OVI” for the 149th Ohio Volunteer Infantry works as a convenient placename for all relatives who served in that unit.  The Unit History from the National Park Service Civil War website can be added as a placename note for each unit defined as a place or as a place detail.  In conjunction with the proposed placename note appendix, this would result in just one Unit History printed no matter how many relatives listed in the report served in this unit. 

If you have a named cemetery with its place note, anyone included in the narrative report and buried in that cemetery would be listed following the name of the cemetery and the narrative about the cemetery as found in the place note.  This is in contrast to using the print option under “Lists” where it would print the desired placename note and everyone in the database listed for this place. [This feature would match Vyger's idea in his posting at 4:06 today.]

#95168 Common Ancestors

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 05 September 2019 - 06:53 PM in Discussion

Zhangrau  did not say it explicitly, but if you already have color coding, and then start a new branch with a different color, there can be what I call "a collision".  The last branch taken, if it hits someone with a previous color, will change a previous color to the new one.  

I have wished for an option that in the case of a collision, that the color would be set to some third color.

#95093 Introduce an Occupation List

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 02 September 2019 - 03:39 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

The Place List works for events such as:

Civil War

WWI

WWII

Korean War

Then you can use Place Details for specific military units such as:

63rd  Ohio Volunteer Infantry

US Army

US Coast Guard

Army Air Corp 8th Air Force, etc

But it would be nice to have an official data structure for events such as these in order not to clutter the real places with events.  For the Civil War, I have a large list of Place Details for various unit numbers.

#95007 Place List Editing- Show Record(s) Associated

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 27 August 2019 - 09:50 AM in Discussion

This is a method I have used for cleanup of my place list.

1] Click on List

2]Then Print

3] Select "Print all places in database"

3] Check the box [x]  "Reverse place names"

4] Then click "Generate reports"

Then look at the report for nearly identical place names.  Merge the wrong spelling of a place  into the correct spelling  to eliminate spelling errors.

Evaluate the listing for missing items such as county names.  I use DeLorme Atlas to find missing county names.  But it does not help with large cities crossing into adjacent counties.

#94941 Rootsmagic on a Surface Go

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 25 August 2019 - 06:47 PM in Discussion

I have a major brand small-form-factor Windows 10 PC with 128mb solid state memory  that was a little over $200.  The current version has 256mb.  It works with RootsMagic with over 20,000 individuals in my database.  I don't keep it on-line so I don't know if it has enough memory do  a Windows 10 update.

#94919 when a record is wrong.

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 23 August 2019 - 07:17 PM in Discussion

"Editing Names on Indexed Records—FamilySearch Update" This is a copy&paste from their website.

Take a look at the above announcement on FamilySearch.  I have not tried their editing procedure.  They offer two cases.

1] Incorrect interpretation of names.

2] "Correcting" spelling of names

#94895 Color coding is not sticking

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 22 August 2019 - 03:13 PM in Discussion

Color coding propagates along family lines.  If the line of propagation hits someone already color coded, the original color is lost and is replaced by the new color.  In a long ago posting, I had suggested that in this case, some new third color could be substituted, but that change never happened.

In your case, are there any multiple marriages? I color coded my ancestors red. One of my ancestors was married three times.  His color coding looks OK for the first wife.  When I go to the branch with the second wife, she does not have any color coding. BUT the parents of the second wife are color coded red since another of my ancestors in a different branch had already been color coded red.

I hope this makes sense.

#94686 Large Print for Visually Impaired

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 09 August 2019 - 09:06 AM in Discussion

Office supply stores run sales on large format ink jet printers 11X17 with scanners to match.  But you need lots of room for such a printer. 

Save an old printer for trade credit sometimes up to $50.00.  

#94440 Can't back up to Google Drive

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 11 July 2019 - 07:44 AM in Issues

RM is chasing a moving target.  I never did like Ancestry anyway.  Don't use it, so all of the RM work for sharing is wasted effort as far as I am concerned.

#94292 Sorting Date Columns in People View

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 26 June 2019 - 08:44 PM in Discussion

At the RootsMagic presentation at the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Museum, I asked Bruce about automatically sorting the birth, death, and burial facts in that order.

He gave some convoluted answer about interaction with other people in the database.  I did not understand his answer and let the topic drop.  I use the sort date to force the correct order when month and day are not given

We have a family legend about a woman buried alive near Easton, Maryland in the 1700's.  She was in some kind of a trace and was awaken by the grave robbers.  That is about the only case I can think of where the automatically sorting of life & death  events would not work.

#94166 Can I install RM7 on a 2nd computer in my home?

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 10 June 2019 - 05:28 PM in Discussion

I have the master database on my desktop.  Once in a blue moon, I make a backup on a USB memory stick.

Then I do a restore on one or another laptops.  As long as I NEVER make updates on the laptops, there is no possibility of conflicts.

Of course the laptop might not had the most current data using this procedure.

Normal backups on the desktop go to a physically different drive than the one where the database resides.  

NOTE that different letter named partitions on one physical drive do not guard against a disk head crash or other failure.

#94107 Best practice for documenting travel abroad

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 05 June 2019 - 06:17 PM in Discussion

I have found LDS documentation for travel abroad for the more prosperous side of the family.

It does not seem proper to use the immigration fact for US citizens returning home.  The customs documentation often gives the exact date of birth, the home address, the date of departure and city, and the date of arrival and city.

So I have refined the date of birth to a more exact date than available from the census.  

Then I use the date of arrival and use that to document the residence.  I use the description field for the residence fact with a sentence in [square brackets] such as [Returning from a cruise on the ship "Ship's name" sailing from Havana, Cuba on 1-FEB-1934 and arriving at The Port of New York on 4-FEB-1934.]

This technique works, but is there a better way to do it?

#94075 Release Date for RM8

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 02 June 2019 - 03:52 PM in Discussion

For each new version of RootsMagic, make a new independent file structure with the upper level folder name equal to the version of RootsMagic.  Most modern disk drives have so much room that the potentially wasted disk usage makes absolutely no difference.

Then set the folder access in RootsMagic V8 to match the new independent file structure.  You only have to do this once in Tools>Program Options>Folders.

Then copy the current database in V7 to the newly created V8 folder for RootsMagic data files.

Run V8 and open the copied V7 data file now residing in the V8 folder.  Do a backup and verify that the new backup is in the correct folder.  Then do a Gedcom export and verify that the new Gedcom file is in the correct folder.

I rarely use photos in the Multimedia folder.  But if you have many photos in the V7 Multimedia folder, you should be able to point the Version 8 Multimedia folder back to the Version 7 location.  Or you could copy the entire Version 7 Multimedia folder contents to the Version 8 Multimedia folder.  Let another user who routinely uses extensive Multimedia comment on this.

If you have multiple disk drives [but not just named partitions] on one physical drive, direct the backup files to a second physical drive.  I suppose that you could direct backups to a normally permanently mounted USB memory stick, but I have never tried this.  I periodically do manual backups to a  USB memory stick specifically inserted for this purpose.

This procedure has worked for every new release going from Family Origins to RM1 up thru RM7.  So it will most likely work for the transition to RM V8.

#94039 Mass deletion or splitting a huge file in half

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 29 May 2019 - 06:53 PM in Discussion

Try the RM option "Count trees".  

This will tell you how many disconnected trees are in your file and how many individuals are in each tree.

If you can identify which disconnected tree [or trees] relate to the current families of your members, then you could extract just these individual trees as separate databases.

Hopefully, these smaller files would be manageable.

On the other hand, there might be so many cross connections, that this would not help.

#94023 Mass deletion or splitting a huge file in half

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 28 May 2019 - 10:51 AM in Discussion

I would guess that there are many disconnected trees.  Does the large size make the program  slow?  What if you delete individuals at the 1700 time frame or unlink them , leaving older generations in place.  There would be a gap for those after 1700.   Then do a Gedcom export tree-by-tree of the remaining trees later than 1700.

Just an idea, have not tried it.  Try the procedure on a copy of your file.

#93976 A platform to share queries - ask questions

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 20 May 2019 - 07:58 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Bruce Buzbee was the featured speaker at the RootsMagic seminar at the Rutherford Hayes Presidential Library two weeks ago.  He had a brief demo of RM Ver 8.  He demonstrated the non-modal features they are working on.  As a positive sign, the demo worked smoothly and did not crash.  He said they might release RM8 the next day or as far in the future as the end of December.

#93940 Sorting all children in the database by birth order

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 17 May 2019 - 02:41 PM in Discussion

This question goes back to 2015.

I normally work with the "Pedigree" or "Family" RM display header.

A solution to the original question by "Greebo"  follows:

1] Click on the RM "People" heading.

2] Then click on "Birth Date" heading to sort by birth date.  I rarely use this, but Bruce Buzbee mentioned this feature in his recent presentation at the Rutherford Hayes Presidential Library in Fremont, OH.

I did notice that I have some poorly formed alphabetic birth dates from data entered many years ago that should be fixed.

#93818 How to record details of a person e.g. height

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 07 May 2019 - 07:37 AM in Discussion

Civil War enlistment and discharge papers have some of the following:

height,  weight, eye color, hair color, and complexion.

My wife's ancestor was listed as 6' 8".  He was a big target.

#93643 when a record is wrong.

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 22 April 2019 - 07:04 PM in Discussion

Is there a way to get LDS transcribed data corrected for spelling errors?  If there is a way, then someone who has used the incorrect spelling would not be aware of the correction.  I have also found a case of census records where the "ditto" marks for surname were interpreted incorrectly for an entire family.  But you had to know the family and match the census records 10 years before the error and 10 years after the error to verify the mistake.

#93628 How to make a report for free-form source type

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 20 April 2019 - 07:57 AM in Discussion

I have never tried SQLite.  However, you could always make a newly named copy of your database and use SQLite on the copy.  That would avoid any fears of disaster with your normal database.

#93440 Print Report Descendants

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 01 April 2019 - 07:17 PM in Discussion

Try to experiment with "Wall Charts".  It might get some of the relationships, but not everything you want.  Warning: the charts can get large.  I have never tried using print shops with large format prints in order to avoid taping 8 1/2 x 11 paper together.

Color-coding is supported on "Wall Charts".  Try a different color for each branch.

#93439 Narrative reports.

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 01 April 2019 - 07:11 PM in Discussion

Expansion of Jerry's virtual child.  Create a child with first name "."  without the quotes.  Then delete the surname just for this child who does not exist.  I just tried it for a pedigree chart.  The root position of the chart shows a nearly blank name of just the "period".  It actually works by deleting the filler character "." and leaving it totally blank.

The ancestor narrative  starts with ". was born (date unknown)."  Then it has a couple of lines about the "Father and Mother had the following child".  You could save the report as a RTF version and edit out the extra line just as Jerry suggested.  Or print it directly and use white out.

#93420 How to recover My Ancestry

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 30 March 2019 - 06:20 PM in Discussion

I believe the RootsMagic "coded ID" must match your registered "Name" not the e-mail address you used.  But, the replacement "coded ID" they send to you goes to your e-mail you used.

In any case, the demo version of RootsMagic will work without your "coded ID".  But the fancy features are not supported until you enter a matching registered "Name" and a "coded ID".

The full paid version will continue to work without entering a matching registered "Name" and a "coded ID" each time you use it.  I do not know what happens if you upgrade from one version of Windows to another, say from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

#93402 Ancestry is taking my media??

Posted by John_of_Ross_County on 28 March 2019 - 04:23 PM in Discussion

I am certainly glad that I don't bother uploading and downloading from this service.  It seems as if it is nothing but trouble.