salconflu's Content

There have been 8 items by salconflu (Search limited from 17-June 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#92516 Ancestry Not Responding Dialog (windows)

Posted by salconflu on 17 January 2019 - 09:56 AM in Issues

I am having the same/similar problem rendering the program unusable.  I rebooted the computer but the problem is still there. 

When I open RM I get a message that Ancestry is not responding [Retry].  Clicking Retry causes the dialog box to go away.  When I try to close the program I get the usual back up or skip option, but then the program locks up from there and has to be killed via the task manager.

Attempting to disconnect from Ancestry tree produces the same result initially but after a hard kill I can now open and close the program.

#92287 Media catagories

Posted by salconflu on 31 December 2018 - 08:53 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would like to be able to tag media with categories similarly as with most digital photo programs.  To be able to create categorizes such as Census, Birth Certificate, Photo, etc, check box them, and then to be able to query and run reports based on those tags  would be be very useful.

#92286 Update and enhance Charting

Posted by salconflu on 31 December 2018 - 08:48 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I believe RM is a very solid data management program with easy data entry and expansive event and source tracking capabilities.  That is why it is my go-to program for research. 

The area where it falls a bit short is in sharing research through charting and reporting.  For example, there is not currently any pdf output option in RM Chart and no (non-paternal) direct line reports.

If I was developing RM I would be reading the software reviews out there which tend to echo my position.

#92285 Pictures degraded on Wall Chart

Posted by salconflu on 31 December 2018 - 08:27 PM in Issues

To me it appears the page setup is a function of RootsMagic Chart on the File drop down menu.  I did add custom page sizes to the pdf printer but that is not affecting the output.  And to all this I say there would be room for improvement in RM Chart to avoid workarounds that involve 3rd party software.

#92280 Pictures degraded on Wall Chart

Posted by salconflu on 31 December 2018 - 05:22 PM in Issues

My EMF export drops the pictures and only prints the text and lines, but printing to pdf does work for me as far as image quality goes and everything looks great. 

However, this method splits the chart into pages, and I am not seeing any option in the drop down list to customize page size, ie. export as a single large page;  all of the options appear to be predetermined sizes.  Thanks again for your time and help with this.

#92278 Pictures degraded on Wall Chart

Posted by salconflu on 31 December 2018 - 03:38 PM in Issues

Perhaps it is a scaling issue.  I will look into that.  In the meantime, here is what the jpg output looks like

Test-RMcrop.jpg

#92272 Pictures degraded on Wall Chart

Posted by salconflu on 31 December 2018 - 11:05 AM in Issues

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.  Unfortunately, I do not see a pdf option when exporting a chart form RootsMagic Chart (accessed from Wall Charts in Reports).  I have emf, bmp, jpg, pcx, png, and tga to select from under Export Chart. 

I'm having trouble pasting an image into this post but my jpg output looks the same as the screen when opened in Painshop Pro.  My images look very similar to what you show on the screen side of your comparison.

#92258 Pictures degraded on Wall Chart

Posted by salconflu on 29 December 2018 - 10:48 AM in Issues

I really appreciate RM's wall charting power, allowing for the great control over designing wall charts.  But for some reason the jpg files I have linked to my database are seriously degraded when I try to include them in the chart. RM apparently converts them to bmp's which I assume is RM's preferred format, but they don't look anything like the originals.  They are marred with lines and pixelated patches.  Any thoughts on what might be going on or how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.