GarySchulz's Content

There have been 4 items by GarySchulz (Search limited from 26-January 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1898 Cemetery List

Posted by GarySchulz on 09 July 2004 - 03:29 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I understand what you mean about duplication, Bill. In the case of genealogy information, however, the opposite logic actually applies. "Hail Mary Cemetery" in Rosewood, Vermont is specifically NOT the same place as "Hail Mary Cemetery" in LaPlace, Vermont, and never will be. In a separate list the question would always arise, "Which Hail Mary Cemetery does that refer to?" By attaching the city, county, and state to the entry the cemetery name is made unique.

#1892 Cemetery List

Posted by GarySchulz on 09 July 2004 - 01:07 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

What's wrong with adding the cemetery to the places list? It is a place, after all. My places list is full of cemeteries, schools, hospitals, churches, etc. As far as I know this is pretty much the way everyone handles it. If you're worried about cluttering up your places list, you can always put the cemetery name in a note. I'm afraid if you start making separate lists for every different kind of place it would just create a mess and not accomplish much. If the issue is that you want to be able to extract a list of cemeteries out of the place list, that sounds to me like a job for the custom report writer.

#1840 Nitpick of a Silly Restriction

Posted by GarySchulz on 06 July 2004 - 12:26 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Oh, I see. So I can become an advanced member by picking 25-30 nits! laugh.gif Great, I can do that!

#1834 Nitpick of a Silly Restriction

Posted by GarySchulz on 06 July 2004 - 09:57 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I know a nitpick when I see one, and this is one. Forgive me. On the other hand, Bruce, this is only my first complaint to you since finally upgrading from FO-10 last week. Having been with you for the entirety of your journey here from FO Release 1 for DOS, you know I love your program.

You point at an unmarried child and either (1) press the Family icon on the toolbar, or (2) right-click and choose one of the "Edit Family" options. This produces a silly error message that says "You must first highlight a parent to edit a family." Grump. You can right-click "view family" but you can't "edit family."

Since there is no ambiguity of intent in this action, seems to me the program should be able to handle it without a fingerslap. Short of that, if the program really can't handle the circumstance, the button and the menu items should be greyed-out to prevent them from being selected.

BTW, I object to being identified on here as a "newbie."

..Gary