RWells's Content

There have been 17 items by RWells (Search limited from 11-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#27007 Source Detail field

Posted by RWells on 28 May 2009 - 08:06 AM in Discussion

There is a field in the source details called detail ref. I use this field to reference the scanned image I have of the source.

I am trying to get this to print in the source endnotes at the end of reports but so far no success.

I have made a copy of the Birth source and trying to change it but can not find a field name to put into the source template but still no success.

I am using RM4 any suggestions on what I may be missing.

Thanks

#24958 Tool Bar Customize

Posted by RWells on 29 March 2009 - 05:36 AM in RootsMagic 3

I am trying to put a icon on the tool bar.

I right click the tool bar, click customize, commands, then find the tool I want to add and drag it to the tool bar.

The problem is it will not stick. It has the x that indicates that I can not drop it there.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a place to maybe lock the tool bar?

I am using RM 4.0.1.0 (25 Mar 2009)

Thanks
Roger

#24911 Selecting the correct RM4 source template

Posted by RWells on 28 March 2009 - 08:10 AM in Discussion

Glenn

Are there other tutorials. These you shared were great.

Thanks
Roger

#24810 New FamilySearch

Posted by RWells on 27 March 2009 - 08:45 AM in RootsMagic 3

Most of the information found in new FamilySearch is still available in the Ancestrial file, IGI file, and Pedigree Resource File. You could use the web search in RM4 to find most of the information.

Roger

#24805 New FamilySearch

Posted by RWells on 27 March 2009 - 08:19 AM in RootsMagic 3

Yes at this time it is required that you be a member of the LDS church in order to use the site. In the future it is planned to be available to all. Even now some members of the LDS church do not have access to the site.

It is being beta tested a few areas at a time.

Roger

#24801 Place Fields

Posted by RWells on 27 March 2009 - 07:40 AM in RootsMagic 3

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any suggestions on how to easily remove the leading "," that I have now?

Roger

#24800 Conveting Sources

Posted by RWells on 27 March 2009 - 07:34 AM in RootsMagic 3

OK I have not done this but a few times so use at your own risk.

Here are the steps I used to try this out. You will need to expermient to find the best way. You should use this on a test database so not to mess up your good database to make sure it works the way you want. Don't fuss at me if you mess up just keep trying.

1. I went to the Edit Person Screen and selected my birth.

2. Then select the source for my birth.

3. Select Add new Source

4. Selected Birth registration, state level. You may want to create a new template of your own prior to this if you find the RM4 templates do not suite you exactly.

5. Filled in the blanks for my birth certificate. The Master Source I gave a unique name. KY: Kentucky - Birth Certificates

6. Selected a repository for the source.

7. Clicked OK

8. This now gave me 2 sources for my birth. The old free form way and the RM4 template way.

9. Close out the Citation Manager and edit person screen

10. Go to List and select Master Source list.

11. Find the source I just entered and highlight it then click merge in the upper right of the screen.

12. Find the old free form source highlight and click select source to merge then click here button at the top

13. This should have your 2 sources show in a screen called Merge Duplicates?

14. Make sure your old is on the right if not swap.

15. Click Merge Duplicate at the bottom. and they are merged.

I hope this works for you

Roger

#24785 Place Fields

Posted by RWells on 27 March 2009 - 06:44 AM in RootsMagic 3

I am trying to standardize the place name fields in RM4.

In the past I have used the City, County, State, Country

Example: Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky, United States

This works great for me.

The question I have is if the place is only Fayette County, Kentucky, United States should I place a comma before the county to indicate the city is missing? Example: , Fayette County, Kentucky, United States. This is the way I have done it in the past but am thinking of changing. to just be Fayette County, Kentucky, United States.

any suggestions especially from those who have foreign places on how to handle something like when you only know the country or maybe the state and country. Would a place location like Kentucky, United States be clear?

Thanks
Roger

#24782 Conveting Sources

Posted by RWells on 27 March 2009 - 06:35 AM in RootsMagic 3

For those interested I tried the following and it worked to a point.

Create a new source using a standard source type found in RM4 or create your own.

Once it is created it will have the standard fields you want to enter data into.

You can then merge the old free form source into the new one you created and it will bring the data over but not necessary into the fields. You will then need to populate the fields as needed.

You can then delete the old free form source.

Not the best but better than typing all of it over again.

To me a source using fields to input is better than the free form as it makes your sources a standard format and you will be reminded each time what fields you need to enter and the format will be more consistant.

Hope this helps someone and maybe not get mixed up with vista hijackers
Roger

#24730 Conveting Sources

Posted by RWells on 26 March 2009 - 02:34 PM in RootsMagic 3

I am starting to convert my sources in RM4. They have been imported via Legacy and are in free from text?

Is there a easy way to convert them to the standard format in RM4?

If not what is the best steps to do the conversion manually in RM4?

Thanks
Roger

#23576 Questions from new user

Posted by RWells on 22 December 2008 - 05:39 AM in RootsMagic 3

All

As I mentioned I am just begining with RM3. I purchased it with the option to get RM4 when it is ready. I will be playing with RM3 to get to know the product.

I am really impressed with some to the new features and will be using them when available.

If anyone has converted from Legacy I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have to bring over my data. So far it is going pretty good.

Again thanks for the help. Most of the answers were right on. Then only problems ocured when I could not explain what I wanted clearly.

I also appreciate the courtsey of those on this board and their willingness to help.

Roger

#23571 Questions from new user

Posted by RWells on 21 December 2008 - 01:13 PM in RootsMagic 3

Laura

I was trying to attach a screen shot image to the comment in this board.

The other posters gave me the answer I needed.

Thanks for your help also and taking the time to help a newbe

Roger

#23567 Questions from new user

Posted by RWells on 21 December 2008 - 08:09 AM in RootsMagic 3

Thanks

That worked great.

I appreciate the help and will be back I am sure.

Roger

#23564 Questions from new user

Posted by RWells on 20 December 2008 - 07:13 PM in RootsMagic 3

Laura

My screen dose not have that check box.

I am using version 3.2.6

I tried to attach a image but no success.

I will keep looking for the check box.

Roger

#23562 Questions from new user

Posted by RWells on 20 December 2008 - 05:10 PM in RootsMagic 3

Thanks Lara

I could not find the check for the import of a gedcom.

I create a new file
I click import a gedcom found in the file menu
I then select my gedcom file
I am then given an option to add new source for the gedcom
which I choose NO - Do not add and additional source...

The program then imports the gedcom with no other options

I must be missing something?

Roger

#23560 Questions from new user

Posted by RWells on 20 December 2008 - 07:23 AM in RootsMagic 3

Thanks for the suggestions. The answer for selecting the family view worked great. I had totally missed the database option in the options.

I think my other question was too mixed up for anyone to answer. Let me try again.

When I add a birth source using a birth certificate as source. I select the source from the pick list then go to the citation detail screen where I can enter film/volume/page number; quality; then the text.

Some where in this citation detail i would like to record the location of the scanned image of the Birth Certificate image I have on my hard disk. Usually this is something like V001_001. I have a program that will search for the V001_001 and bring up the image if I like.

I did note that the source has a field for personal file number but if I have many birth certificates I would have to add a new source for each one in order to use this field.

Maybe I need to use the media to store this.

Next question:

How do I import a gedcom and retain the rin numbers that are in the gedcom?

Thanks
Roger

#23556 Questions from new user

Posted by RWells on 19 December 2008 - 07:13 PM in RootsMagic 3

I have just started converting from Legacy to RM and have 2 questions at this time.

In Legacy there is a field on the detail source leval that lets me store a local id. This is a file name for the source detail. How do you handle this in RM? It appears that this is on the source citation leval in rm.

Is there a way to have RM start with a family view instead of the pedigree view?

Thanks
Roger