Don Newcomb's Content

There have been 35 items by Don Newcomb (Search limited from 27-January 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#96183 Reply jumped from one thread to another?

Posted by Don Newcomb on 23 December 2019 - 09:46 PM in General Messages

I just replied to a post on the "RM8 release date" thread but the reply ended up in a different thread. I clicked multi-quote but only selected one message. I entered my message and submitted. It showed up on a newer thread. I edited my reply but could not delete it.

#96182 Slow to open

Posted by Don Newcomb on 23 December 2019 - 09:39 PM in Discussion

Edit. This was a reply to another thread that jumped the fence.

#95670 Parentage

Posted by Don Newcomb on 12 October 2019 - 04:34 AM in Discussion

I have a number of speculative parents attached at the end of my tree. Where someone said that they were or might be the parents but I'm not willing to accept it. I color code the uncertain parents in red and add all sorts of notes indicating that they are unproven.  In fact, I have whole lines color coded this way. 

RM does not give you a dashed line connection, which is what you're looking for. 

#95521 Cleaning up sources

Posted by Don Newcomb on 01 October 2019 - 10:11 PM in Discussion

Cool. There are also lots of libraries that hold microfilm copies of census records. All of those are valid repositories, right?

I suppose they are valid repositories for the microform copy. My point was that the originals are held, not at the Census Bureau but at the National Archives. I'm not actually all that pedantic, I think all my US Census sources have Ancestry.com as the repository.

#95499 Cleaning up sources

Posted by Don Newcomb on 29 September 2019 - 04:44 PM in Discussion

The original repository for all US federal censuses was:

U.S. Census Bureau
4600 Silver Hill Road
Washington, DC 20233
USA

I personally laid hands on a volume of the 1850 census at the National Archives. 

#94682 Large Print for Visually Impaired

Posted by Don Newcomb on 09 August 2019 - 05:00 AM in Discussion

A  pedigree chart or FGS has a lot of information crammed into a small space. The thing I'd suggest is to print on a large-size (e.g. Ledger) printer and use the "Fit to page" printing option. You might also try a bold font. If your printer can't handle the large paper, there's Kinko's or Office Depot. 

#94677 Relationship editing

Posted by Don Newcomb on 08 August 2019 - 10:06 AM in Discussion

You simply don't enter a marriage event. "Spouse" is a euphemism for "had sex with".  

#94617 Noting parents who raised as well as biological parents

Posted by Don Newcomb on 02 August 2019 - 07:27 AM in Discussion

My 2nd great-grandfather was raised by and aunt and uncle after both his parents died when he was quite young. I have the aunt and uncle connected to him as foster parents. When you do this you have to be careful because RM remembers the last set of parents you selected. If I select the aunt and uncle and then make a pedigree chart, it can be quite interesting.

#94548 More parent/child relationship tags

Posted by Don Newcomb on 24 July 2019 - 06:50 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

RM supports various relationships between parents and children: Birth, Adoptive, Foster, Step, etc. In a world with in-vitro fertilization and other advanced medical assistance I think "Genetic" needs to be added to the list. A "Birth" mother might not be genetically related to her child. 

#94534 Ellis Island & New York Place Details

Posted by Don Newcomb on 21 July 2019 - 03:51 PM in Discussion

I tend to use modern place names rather than historic names (e.g. Aachen, Holy Roman Empire) because it fits better with the way RM thinks. 

#94533 RootsMagic in a virtual machine?

Posted by Don Newcomb on 21 July 2019 - 03:42 PM in Discussion

I've run RM6 under WINE on Linux. I can't vouch for every feature but the basics seem to work.

#94451 Web Site Creation

Posted by Don Newcomb on 11 July 2019 - 10:44 AM in Discussion

One thing I find with the websites that RM creates is that I have to dump my browser's cache when I recreate the website. 

#94400 Possible to "disappear" a person from Narrative Report?

Posted by Don Newcomb on 07 July 2019 - 04:51 PM in Discussion

This is a good enhancement suggestion. I've been asked to delete some ex-wives from my database. It would be nice to be able to say, "No problem. She's deleted." but in reality she's just "gone stealth."

#94399 Funeral Attendees

Posted by Don Newcomb on 07 July 2019 - 04:48 PM in Discussion

Are the protestants recording who participate to funerals? Never saw anything like this from European catholic churches...

There's a lot of regional and temporal variation in obituaries in the USA. I've seen them that list the full names and relationships of all close relatives. Some name the minister, all the pall bearers and honorary pall bearers but none of the relatives. Some don't name anyone.  The current trend is to go on and on ad nauseam about the deceased's hobbies, etc. 

#94174 I need a little help with sentences on census records please

Posted by Don Newcomb on 11 June 2019 - 07:15 PM in Discussion

If I understand what you want to do, as close as I could get is to create a custom role for each type of relationship: wife, child, grandchild, etc. Then create sentence templates that would read like, "In 1880 he was enumerated in the census as a child of John Smith in West Podunk, Iowa." 

#94173 Recording Foreign Names e.g. Indonesian

Posted by Don Newcomb on 11 June 2019 - 07:10 PM in Discussion

I've known Indonesians with a single name, European style names, Japanese style names, all sorts of permutations. You'll just have to work it out the best way you can. I don't think there's a "best practice" for this.

#94126 Bigamy record

Posted by Don Newcomb on 06 June 2019 - 05:31 PM in Discussion

Bigamy is just polygamy without legal sanction. As Renee says, the paper trail is what you're documenting. I suppose you could enter an annulment for the 2nd marriage, if you wanted to. I'd just annotate the facts as Renee said.  

https://youtu.be/kpTJywtAqLc?t=206

#94125 Relationship Calculator Accuracy

Posted by Don Newcomb on 06 June 2019 - 05:27 PM in Discussion

RM's calculator does not return non-blood relationships. This is a much requested enhancement.

Clearly there's something I don't understand. My 2nd-great-grandfather was adopted by an aunt and uncle after his parents died. When I run a relationship calculation on a descendant of his adoptive/foster parents I get them listed as the common ancestors. The blood relationship is actually a generation higher up the tree. (The relationship is listed as 4th cousin when the blood relationship is actually 5th cousin.) So, my copy of RM does return non-blood relationships, as if they were blood. Now, if you mean something like "She's my concuñada." I get that RM doesn't handle complex in-law relations.  I wish the Relationship Calculator had a way to exclude Adoptive and Foster relationships. It's important at least for DNA analysis. 

#94124 Best practice for documenting travel abroad

Posted by Don Newcomb on 06 June 2019 - 05:07 PM in Discussion

I avoid creating new fact types unless it's for something really, really necessary. For instance, I would never create a fact type for getting a driver's license or having an appendix removed.  Those events are handled adequately by Miscellaneous and Illness.  I feel the same way about people taking overseas trips. It's just a Miscellaneous event. If I were forced to create a fact type, it would probably be called "Travel". 

#93990 Ancestors born out of wedlock

Posted by Don Newcomb on 20 May 2019 - 04:27 PM in Discussion

...... For example, an Å in Norwegian is not really a "character". Which is to say, it is not simply an A with a little ring on top. Rather, it's a full blown letter in its own right. It is not a "base A plus a ring on top."

Various languages claim various modified Latin characters as native characters. In Spanish the enye (Ñ) is a separate character, not an accented character. However, to a typesetter it's still a Latin N with a tilde. I have some Spanish surnames that begin with a C-cedilla (Ç). These sort above the regular Cs in the surname list. To find these you either have to scroll to them or enter ALT+0199. Similarly, I have a bunch of German names that have an umlauted vowel as the second character (e.g. Dürr). To find that one you have to type "D ALT+0246" Typing "Durr" won't find it.

#93983 Ancestors born out of wedlock

Posted by Don Newcomb on 20 May 2019 - 10:52 AM in Discussion

RootsMagic can insert extended Latin characters, including umlauted German vowels, however, the last time I checked they are not found by typing the base character. So, if you have someone named Ångstrom you can't find them by typing "Angstrom". You either have to use a Swedish keyboard or know that Å is ALT+0197.

#93877 Unused Places List

Posted by Don Newcomb on 12 May 2019 - 05:17 AM in Discussion

I tend to keep properly georeferenced places and get rid of the "Under a tree" places. Sometimes the reason that the "under a tree" place is unused is because I corrected the location that cited it. 

#93876 when a record is wrong.

Posted by Don Newcomb on 12 May 2019 - 05:13 AM in Discussion

I agree. I have found many documents, such as death certificates, that have inaccurate or variant spellings or data. The best approach is to try and find additional supporting documents. You can also use alternate names identified as variant spelling. I also use notes to explain the "probable" variances.
Rick

I just dipped my toe into the field of Jewish genealogy. I'm finding that one person may have a transliteration of their name from Yiddish, a transliteration from Hebrew and an Anglicization of the name, all different. Additionally they will sometimes use a family surname and sometimes use a patronymic. Makes Swedish genealogy look like a walk in the park.  

#93875 Additional date modifiers

Posted by Don Newcomb on 12 May 2019 - 05:04 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I'd like to suggest two additional date modifiers: "claimed" & "reported". These would be used primarily to modify sentences. Like, "Jill claimed she was born on 6 Jul 1924. Her birth certificate says it was three years earlier." The idea is that there is some record of a date but there is some doubt as to its veracity. 

#93720 when a record is wrong.

Posted by Don Newcomb on 28 April 2019 - 09:50 AM in Discussion

Not just transcriptions. I've been working with death certificates for a bunch of my family. They are among the most bogus original documents imaginable. About the only thing you can consider reliable is the date of death. Everything else is second hand. Anyone who might conclude from a study of death certificates that life expectancy has increased is deluding themselves by not understanding how often people lied about their ages. When informants didn't know something, they just made up and answer. 

All I can say is you have to keep careful notes.