John James's Content

There have been 60 items by John James (Search limited from 17-October 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#47741 Place & Place Details Management

Posted by John James on 09 December 2011 - 05:00 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I also hope Renee keeps reporting as at present, the slowness of fixes is not her fault.

User Satisfaction% = (problems solved / problems added to tracking system) * 100

Simple, just get the development team to fix more problems

#47687 Place & Place Details Management

Posted by John James on 08 December 2011 - 08:15 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

So you guys were talking behind my back. You know I could always NOT add your requests to the tracking system. ;)

I've been watching and I can promise you it was all good, I think the consenus is the wish that the tracking system gets dumped on Bruces desk every monday morning. :D

What about we employ you as a secret insider and instead of pinning things on the forum you pin the top 5 hottest features to Bruces door when he is out. lol

#47503 Unresolved RM4 bug

Posted by John James on 05 December 2011 - 04:14 PM in Issues

This was fixed in 5.0.0.4

If true that is good news, maybe if we can push more rm4 bugs forward while Bruceis in productive mode we might get some results.

#47393 Place & Place Details Management

Posted by John James on 04 December 2011 - 01:19 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

This topic was actually discussed in an earlier topic. Renee said that this is being worked on and that it is added to her tracking system.

Thanks i do hope that is still true as i believe places are very important to get right and programs need to help and encourage that as much as possible. We all know a name without a place means nothing and the more exact it gets the better.

Asking about a Murphy from Ireland, no chance, a Murphy from Tipperary, Ireland still no chance.

But ask about a Murphy with an association with both St. Marys Church, Tipperary and Hannaghans pub, Tipperary and you are down to about 10 possibles :D

I must also say the promimity report in the new rm5 looks interesting and hopefully can be used to create groups, that combined with the research log and the long overdue new place list might just be enough for me to switch over, providing the current problems have also died down.

#47373 Place & Place Details Management

Posted by John James on 04 December 2011 - 06:19 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I, too, think that Renee does a very good job and that the forum experience is better with her participation and feedback/acknowledgement.

No apoligy needed, i think Rennee does a very good job and I actually feel a little sorry for her being stuck in the middle of frustrated users and lack of development. Vyger built the place details screen in 2 hours working at it on and off, others have told me building the ui would not take much longer, a day at most, populating it and testing it with the data already in the db would take a week max for someone of middle experience.

I work with a lot of guys that are doing this stuff day in day out so my frustration is with RM and I suppose that means Bruce who for some reason refuses to programming utilities that users need to transition to the latest versions, as someone else said recently that should be a first priority, no point in having new features if they are to difficult to use.

#47316 Place & Place Details Management

Posted by John James on 03 December 2011 - 02:00 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

What particular functionality are you folks looking for?

I can imagine that if Place Details (which I think is a great idea) is new to RM, that there should be a function that enables all users of earlier versions of RM to intelligently break up existing Place data into Place Details (cemetery names, hospital names, street addresses, districts, location descriptions, etc.) and Places (city/town/burrough/township, county/parish/region, state/province/territory, country). This suggests an even more general statement of need; any time new software functionality is added to a genealogy program, the software developers need to also provide the tools to enable prior software users to relatively easily reorganize their data into the new data structure. This is more than just converting the data files to the new software version level.

I would like the ability to pin a Bing (or Google, or whatever) map location, and have the associated coordinates populate the Latitude and Longitude field for a Place Details record (or a Place record, if the place does not have a pre-defined geolocation in the mapping software). Family Tree Maker 2012 has this capability, though it does not have Place Details.

Various wishes have been posted including the simplest one for Geocoding to accept and split the Google Maps "What's here" query results.

Vyger has posted various bits on his own website and taken time to produce mcok ups see here http://www.vyger.co.uk/rootsmagic/

Sarcasm/mockery directed toward Renee by those on account of certain items not being incorporated into the program is misguided and unfair. Frustration with the situation may be understandable, but not her.

Romer if your comment was aimed at me it was wrongly placed, I believe Rennee does a great job on this forum and logging problems/wishes, there just seems to be noone reading. When Michael Booth came on board I thought "great more time for Bruce to Program" when Rennee cam on board I had the same thoughts, it just hasn't seemed to work out that way.

#47277 Place & Place Details Management

Posted by John James on 03 December 2011 - 05:14 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Evidently, Renee does NOT have agreement as this topic does not appear to be pinned. I too expected Place Management to be a huge priority and definitely an integral part of the next "major" revision which seemed to turn out to be a bust. Seems more of a "let's stick version 5 on it and we'll sell more and not seem so outdated" approach. I, for one, am less concerned about historical county boundaries or events within a specified distance than to clean up my huge list of unwieldy places into place details. Wonder when the utility will be out for that?

It was interesting that the Place List got 28 seconds mention on the Whats new in RM5 webinar. For a topic which attracted so much discussion and wishes for improvements i can only conclude that the development compass much be broken in some way.

Not to worry though, if it is broken Rennee will have a note of it in the Tracking System ;)

#47276 RTF files, indexes, narratives

Posted by John James on 03 December 2011 - 05:02 AM in Issues

I'm saddened to see that my request to save books and reports as OpenOffice files didn't make it to RootsMagic 5 version.

I see a lot of loyal users are disappointed by lack of requested enhancements appearing in RM5

#47275 First look, two bugs that are still there

Posted by John James on 03 December 2011 - 04:58 AM in Issues

No changes have been made to merging at this time.

procrastination
1540s, from L. procrastinationem "a putting off," noun of action from procrastinare "put off till tomorrow," from pro- "forward" + crastinus "belonging to tomorrow," from cras "tomorrow," of unknown origin.

noun
the act or habit of procrastinating, or putting off or delaying, especially something requiring immediate attention: He was smart, but his constant procrastination led him to be late with almost every assignment.

#47274 New Feature, Group in People View, Very Poor Performance

Posted by John James on 03 December 2011 - 04:50 AM in Issues

Hearing a 4-5 second lag would allow him to focus on more pressing issues.

The TRACKING SYSTEM ???

#47273 Unresolved RM4 bug

Posted by John James on 03 December 2011 - 04:45 AM in Issues

Confirming issue is in our tracking system.

Procrastination is sloth in 5 syllables.

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can achieve today

#47272 Remaining bugs in RM4

Posted by John James on 03 December 2011 - 04:37 AM in Discussion

As RM5 seems to have taken a new direction, I will not use it until/unless certain "new" things are changed. A lot of bells and whistles were added but long-needed fixes and needed improvements have been ignored. This is too bad as RM4 had so many things going for it. It would be nice if RM4 was still supported/updated but I rather doubt it.

Ditto

#47220 Since rm5 I've lost data

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 04:38 PM in Discussion

I just realized that since I downloaded RM5 I've lost quite a bit of data. I've never done a restore before.
Do I do the restore from the previous date and do I need to merge them?

What data do you believe you have lost?

#47195 Remaining bugs in RM4

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 12:59 PM in Discussion

YES, I've already seen Bruce state that all updates will be to RM5.

http://archiver.root...1-11/1322702284

Hmmmmm, so really the guy never fixed the car he sold me <_<

Only lesson is not to buy another car from him

#47192 Bug?? in edit source

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 12:37 PM in Issues

You can then start RootsMagic, and do "Help > About" and make sure it says you are now using version 4.1.2.1

I think this was the most important part of this instruction and where the instruction should have ended :D

#47172 First look, two bugs that are still there

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 09:58 AM in Issues

Which media items may be dropped? I'm not sure that I recall this one, but may just need to be reminded if it truly is a problem.

Found it again but maybe it is more to do with merging, anyway would be interesting to see if it was fixed

http://www.vyger.co....rge-issues.html

#47171 Remaining bugs in RM4

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 09:52 AM in Discussion

I have not upgraded so I am wondering if we have seen the last version update of RM4, it is no secret that many bugs remain and it seems some have been carried into RM5.

#47159 First look, two bugs that are still there

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 04:01 AM in Issues

Drag and drop and GEDCOM export still loses carriage returns at the end of notes. I view this as a very serious bug because it's a data integrity problem.

I read somewhere it may still drop media items and other bits which were reported bugs in RM4 a long time ago!

#47158 New Feature, Group in People View, Very Poor Performance

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 03:57 AM in Issues

Yes, it is somewhat better, perhaps a gain of 50%. Columns still do not retain custom sizing. What would really be nice is a button for what spreadsheets call "optimal width" that automatically sizes all columns to display full content ... and then have that setting stick.

The more I read the more I find reasons not to upgrade, the column size thing was discussed a long time ago and i think dismissed by RM.

#47157 Unresolved RM4 bug

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 03:52 AM in Issues

This still is not working for me - last alphabetical person does not appear in Surname Statistics list. This is not only when you sort list by surname it happens no matter how you sort the list - last alphabetical surname is omitted If I use this report I insert a new person as a work around surname ZZZZZ. I reported this bug over a year ago and received an acknowledgement.

It's disappointing to move to a new version with pre-existant bugs from the previous one <_<

#47156 media data not converted

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 03:49 AM in Discussion

I'm afraid that I don't have/know how/remember how to create a red-x condition, but perhaps someone else here may be able to weigh in.

I noticed Bruce had a lot of them on the webinar, so maybe an explanation will be forthcoming from rm.

#47155 Media Gallery

Posted by John James on 02 December 2011 - 03:45 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Other software applications have displayed .pdf thumbnails for many, many years! This is nothing new.

I agree, this is another disappointment for me also.

#47080 Unresolved RM4 bug

Posted by John James on 01 December 2011 - 12:04 PM in Issues

I just noticed a bug I don't remember reading about in rm4 and was wondering if it is still in rm5 as i only have essentials.

On the surname statistics list with alphabetical selected the last alphabetical surname is not reported.

Can anyone with the full RM5 confirm this has been solved or still outstanding.

In fact it would be nice if someone could compare all outstanding rm4 bugs against rm5 and publish a list.

#47072 Webinar?

Posted by John James on 01 December 2011 - 10:01 AM in Discussion

When I clicked your link, Firefox gave a warning message:

I got the same but the link and date was copied from the RM5 announcement!

#47057 Webinar?

Posted by John James on 01 December 2011 - 02:49 AM in Discussion

I missed a fair bit of the webinar but also cannot find the promised recording below.

Webinar Recording (after 30 Nov 2011)
https://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars

Is it just not available yet or is ther a different address?