wfb's Content

There have been 20 items by wfb (Search limited from 14-October 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#37703 Missing Header/Footer in Scrapbooks

Posted by wfb on 13 July 2010 - 03:31 PM in Issues

The newest version (4.0.9.3) appears to have fixed this "missing header/footer" problem! Thanks again, Wayne

#37702 Missing Header/Footer in Scrapbooks

Posted by wfb on 13 July 2010 - 03:22 PM in Issues

Alfred,

I'm currently using RootsMagic 4.0.9.2! Perhaps this was a problem that has been fixed in the very latest version of the program - I'll update & report on what happens. Thanks very much for your help.

Wayne

#37697 Missing Header/Footer in Scrapbooks

Posted by wfb on 13 July 2010 - 11:18 AM in Issues

I've been using the "Rename" button on every one of my Scrapbook "Chapters" and that seems to work fine. The PROBLEM is that many of my "Chapters" contain more than one page, and ONLY THE FIRST PAGE of a "Chapter" shows ANY header or footer! (In other words, pages 2 - ??? show only pictures and no other text.) It SEEMS that every page in a given Scrapbook "Chapter" should display the same header & footer, perhaps mirrored if duplex printing is being done.

I'm really curious to know if anyone else has seen this problem and, if so, if there is any "workaround"!

Thanks,
Wayne

#37686 Missing Header/Footer in Scrapbooks

Posted by wfb on 13 July 2010 - 06:34 AM in Issues

Folks,

While publishing a "book" I noticed that the header/footer information for a scrapbook only seems to appear on the FIRST PAGE on each scrapbook. I've checked the boxes "Mirror header on even pages" and "Mirror footer on even pages" but that doesn't seem to help. Has anyone else noticed this behavior? If so, do you think this is a program "bug" or is this behavior "by design"?

Thanks,
Wayne

#34414 RM 4.0.8.0

Posted by wfb on 26 March 2010 - 02:49 PM in Discussion

Well, I just installed the update and (unfortunately) it doesn't really seem to have addressed any of the problems that I've had with RM4. Specifically, the "living" switch ("@") STILL DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK even though I first pointed out this problem more than a year ago. Also, the spurious indentations of the first lines in a narrative report (after any 'fact' note that includes one of more carriage returns at the end) still seem to be present. Finally, at first glance anyway, I don't see any additions to the list of source templates... For me, anyway, a rather useless upgrade!

#34361 How to cite "social networking" sites?

Posted by wfb on 22 March 2010 - 08:28 AM in Discussion

Folks,

Some "social networking" sites provide useful genealogical information. For example, I found a picture of a relative at classmates.com . I would like to properly cite the source of this picture (and a bit of other information from that web site), but I can't find any really appropriate SourceWizard template. I assume that someone attempting to cite other "social networking" sites such as facebook.com will face this same problem. Has anyone developed an appropriate template for such sources? If so, if would be very helpful if you could you post it here so others might be able to use it!

Many thanks,
Wayne

#34357 Converting Free Form Sources

Posted by wfb on 21 March 2010 - 06:33 PM in Issues

Vyger,

I agree that waiting for the RM4 update is probably the safest approach. I recall hearing that the update was due out around March 25th. Do you know if that is still a reasonable expectation?

Thanks,
Wayne

#34346 Converting Free Form Sources

Posted by wfb on 21 March 2010 - 11:21 AM in Issues

Vyger,

I was afraid there was currently no way to convert source types while retaining citation details. Hopefully, this problem will be addressed in an RM4 upgrade! In the meantime, will the source "merge" feature at least keep the citations themselves (i.e. preserve the links to the facts associated with the source) in those cases where there are NO citation DETAILS?

Thanks,
Wayne

#34335 Converting Free Form Sources

Posted by wfb on 20 March 2010 - 07:20 PM in Issues

Folks,

The upgrade from RM3 to RM4 created quite a number of Free Form sources which I would like to covert to SourceWizard format sources. Each of my Free Format sources include citation details (for example, the text of a death record) that I would like to preserve in the "new" source. I'm tempted to create a new source via SourceWizard and then merge the "old" (Free Form) source with the newly created source. I'm concerned, though, that I may COMPLETELY LOSE all my citation details in the process! Can someone tell me if my approach is likely to work or, if not, is there a better way to upgrade to the SourceWizard format?

Thanks,
Wayne

#34080 The @ ("living") switch still seems to be broken!

Posted by wfb on 07 March 2010 - 08:19 PM in Issues

No, I don't have any specific info on when the update is to be released. I seem to recall, though, someone mentioning "end of the month" in regard to a problem relating to "Place Details" associated with a blank "Place". I hope you are correct that the update will be released sooner than that!

Wayne

#34070 The @ ("living") switch still seems to be broken!

Posted by wfb on 07 March 2010 - 03:50 PM in Issues

Folks,

Has anyone heard if this problem has been resolved in the update to RM4 that is (supposedly) due out at the end of the month?

Wayne

#34018 "Place List" problem when "Place Detail" but no "Place"

Posted by wfb on 05 March 2010 - 09:26 PM in Issues

SQLite is probably the best approach to my problem right now. However, since the RM4 update is due quite soon - and since my database includes a lot of info on living people - I think I'll hold off doing too much until I get the new version & see if it provides any help... (Also, I'm currently "on the road" and don't want to mess up the RM4 database on the laptop system that I'm using!)

P.S. After looking at the ON-SCREEN "Place" list a bit more, it seems POSSIBLE that NONE of the "Place Detail" entries are really being used! For example, a typical entry might be "14 Bowers Street in South Portland" which I "converted" a some point to a "Place" name of "South Portland" with a "Place Detail" of "14 Bowers Street".

I'll let everyone know how well the new RM4 handles my database.

Thanks,
Wayne

#33994 "Place List" problem when "Place Detail" but no "Place"

Posted by wfb on 05 March 2010 - 03:08 PM in Issues

Folks,

Thanks for all the useful input. I just hope that the next RM4 upgrade will not REMOVE the ability to have "Place Details" associated with a blank "Place"! I find this feature VERY helpful and it does not seem to cause (much) trouble.

Interestingly, the on-screen "Lists>Place List..." display includes "Place Details" as well as "Place" data. When the list is PRINTED, however, only the PLACE names are shown! Very odd...

I suspect that many of the ON SCREEN "Place Details" entries (from Lists>Place List...) are no longer being used. Unfortunately, I don't know any way of telling what entries are still valid! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wayne

#33983 "Place List" problem when "Place Detail" but no "Place"

Posted by wfb on 05 March 2010 - 07:51 AM in Issues

Folks,

I have quite a few cases where a "Place Detail" is available but the "Place" itself is not. For example, Joe Smith may have attended XYZ University, but the location of the University could not be determined (at least immediately). I have not had any problem entering a "Place Detail" such as XYZ University while leaving the "Place" field blank. My narrative reports seem to work fine, but I have just noticed that "Place List" seems to show the "Place Detail" field rather than the "Place" itself in those cases when THE PLACE FIELD IS BLANK. Can someone confirm this behavior? (This behavior makes it confusing to edit Place names, since it is all too easy to edit a Place Detail by mistake.)

If would be great if there were some way to generate a report showing each Place - including blank - along with the associated Place Details and (optionally) the Facts where each Place/Place Detail is used. Would anyone know if such a list can be produced?

Thanks,
Wayne

#33919 Is a custom "death" fact type possible?

Posted by wfb on 27 February 2010 - 01:08 PM in Discussion

bienia,

Thanks very much for your helpful suggestion! I can see that your approach using a simple switch could be applied to other "fact" types in addition to "death". For the time being, though, I've settled on the following global "death" template:

[person] died< [Date]>< [person:Age]>< [Desc]>< [PlaceDetails:plain]>< [Place:short]>.

I can see that your approach would allow for more flexible sentences, so I will look into adding a "switch" to my template.

Thanks again,
Wayne

#33710 Is a custom "death" fact type possible?

Posted by wfb on 20 February 2010 - 02:46 PM in Discussion

Romer, I set up an alternative "death" fact just to make the wording of a death event read a bit better in a narrative report. Depending upon the cause & location of the death, it was sometimes better (in my mind, anyway) to change the location of [Desc] within the sentence. As a "workaround" I've modified the standard "Death" fact to have [Desc] where it seems to work best for most cases...

Thanks for mentioning the Wish List - I'll see what I can come up with!

Wayne

#33708 Is a custom "death" fact type possible?

Posted by wfb on 20 February 2010 - 01:29 PM in Discussion

Romer,

Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid you have just confirmed what I suspected! Namely, it seems that certain built-in "facts" contain RootsMagic-specific code that can't be duplicated when setting up user-defined "facts". It really is a shame, though, that RootsMagic doesn't include a "copy fact type" option that would work something like the "copy source" option. IF such an option existed it would seem that copying the "Death" fact would copy all the special code needed by RootsMagic to properly handle the fact that someone died.(This option would also be helpful, I assume, for the built-in "Birth", "Christen", and "Burial" facts.) Oh well, perhaps that will be an option in RootsMagic 5.0!

Thanks again,
Wayne

#33692 Is a custom "death" fact type possible?

Posted by wfb on 19 February 2010 - 07:07 PM in Discussion

Folks,

I've added a custom "death" fact type that I call "death2". I don't have any trouble entering data for this new fact type, and the narrative reports look fine. HOWEVER, RootsMagic doesn't seem to realize that the person associated with the "death2" fact is actually dead! In other words, the death date in the "Pedigree" and "Family" charts for that person remains blank.

Is there, perhaps, some "code" or "flag" that I need to set when defining my "death2" fact type in order for RootsMagic to properly recognize a "death" event?

Many thanks,
Wayne

#33047 The @ ("living") switch still seems to be broken!

Posted by wfb on 26 January 2010 - 02:47 PM in Issues

Bienia,

Thanks for the extra info! Unfortunately, I didn't test this switch on all releases of RootsMagic 4, so I can't confirm that it actually worked at some point. I have a still-open "ticket" (# 368-117EA0C9-1981) for this problem, but have never received any "official" reply/update from the RootsMagic folks. Would you know any more effective way of getting this "bug" addressed (and hopefully fixed)?

Many thanks,
Wayne

#32999 The @ ("living") switch still seems to be broken!

Posted by wfb on 25 January 2010 - 09:36 AM in Issues

Folks,

It has been almost a year since I reported that the "@" (i.e. "living") switch did not seem to be working. For example, if my sentence template includes the following:

<[Date]>< [Person]> is <@Alive|Dead>.

I always seem to get the "Dead" wording! I just tried the "@" switch again, and it STILL seems to be broken! Since I can't find anyone else who has complained about this rather important (it seems) feature of RootsMagic 4, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Any comments/suggestion on the use of the "@" switch would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Wayne