DerickH's Content

There have been 44 items by DerickH (Search limited from 16-November 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#77485 Family Search doesn't copy birth place name

Posted by DerickH on 22 January 2016 - 09:49 AM in Discussion

I wrote previously on this subject but it seems to have disappeared. When I use WebSearch>Search FamilySearch, the birth date does not transfer over (see FS sample-a). Only when I manually add the birth place  (see FS sample-b ) 

does FS perform the correct carry-over. 

I am using universally recognized places and have also used all four data tools prior to performing the search. I noted that I wrote FS and they said the mechanics as to what is carried over is the responsibility of RM. They wrote:

----------------------------

Thank you for contacting the FamilySearch support team. Your support case #01931557 was created because of your concern about the syncing process for using your third-party personal RootsMagic software with FamilySearch.

Please contact the RootsMagic support team to report your problem. Since RootsMagic software certifies to sync with information that can be viewed at FamilySearch, if the process is not working properly, it is the responsibility of the RootsMagic engineering team to resolve any problems.

When a problem has been properly reported, our engineers and the RootsMagic engineers work together to identify and resolve any problems, however, we cannot and do not provide support for any problems that are initiated from another software program. Please review the information in the attached knowledge article that explains our policy regarding third-party software, and which provides a contact link to notify RootsMagic about your concern.

You can view your case details, including the attached knowledge article through your case in the Help Center. You may need to sign into your account to access the article.
<https://familysearch...5003000000ch04R>

This is your original case description:
Family Search will not pull up birth place

If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us directly by phone or chat. Click on <https://familysearch.org/ask/help> for details.

We do wish you success with all of your family history efforts.

With Regards,

FamilySearch

--------------------------------------

I don't know if the two screen-shot files transferred but they can be found at: www.hartshorn.us/FS-sample.htm    

#76868 Some data elements not passed over to FS

Posted by DerickH on 09 January 2016 - 09:09 AM in FamilySearch Family Tree

When using RM7 in conjunction with FamilySearch (FS), some elements are not copied over. Birth place must be manually entered. Other elements, such as spouse and parents are also not copied over. I wrote FS about this problem and they referred me back to you. They wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Derick,

Thank you for contacting the FamilySearch support team. Your support case #01931557 was created because of your concern about the syncing process for using your third-party personal RootsMagic software with FamilySearch.

Please contact the RootsMagic support team to report your problem. Since RootsMagic software certifies to sync with information that can be viewed at FamilySearch, if the process is not working properly, it is the responsibility of the RootsMagic engineering team to resolve any problems.

When a problem has been properly reported, our engineers and the RootsMagic engineers work together to identify and resolve any problems, however, we cannot and do not provide support for any problems that are initiated from another software program. Please review the information in the attached knowledge article that explains our policy regarding third-party software, and which provides a contact link to notify RootsMagic about your concern.

You can view your case details, including the attached knowledge article through your case in the Help Center. You may need to sign into your account to access the article.
<https://familysearch...5003000000ch04R>

This is your original case description:
Family Search will not pull up birth place

If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us directly by phone or chat. Click on <https://familysearch.org/ask/help> for details.

We do wish you success with all of your family history efforts.

With Regards,

FamilySearch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#75809 merging blank extra spouse

Posted by DerickH on 14 December 2015 - 03:58 PM in Tips and Hints

My database contains a myriad of folks with multiple spouses. For some reason, some spouses are blank. Those who are known duplicates of an existing spouse were once difficult to fix. If you click on the blank spouse and identify this person as "XX" (as given name) and "ZZ" (as surname), merging the factual spouse with "XX ZZ" is a snap.

#75808 RootsMagic future

Posted by DerickH on 14 December 2015 - 03:52 PM in Discussion

Please confirm to all of us who fear that Ancestry.com is absorbing everything genealogical that you will not sell out RM to this monster.

#75807 Source Templates To Be Fixed

Posted by DerickH on 14 December 2015 - 03:50 PM in Sentence and Source Templates

I would certainly love to be able to merge multiple sources into one. Period.

#75440 Blank name-can't delete

Posted by DerickH on 02 December 2015 - 03:57 PM in Discussion

I don't know how I did it but a blank name was inadvertently entered as a child. I have tried to delete it (no luck) and rename it so I could delete it. Is there a way to delete this entry?

#75439 FamilySearch a fantastic tool

Posted by DerickH on 02 December 2015 - 03:50 PM in Discussion

I suppose I need to clarify this. When I seek additional information from FamilySearch (FS), I click on WebSearch. This brings up the FS screen. It copies the birth date but the "Any Place" option is blank. In other words, it does not copy over the birth place that I have entered in RM7. Usually the first listing I get on the FS screen is the same name in a geographical area which is not what I am looking for. If I enter the birth place I have entered in RM, I often get a listing of the name I am looking for. My initial question was: Why doesn't the RM birth place carry over to FS? Is it RM's fault or is it FS's fault?

#75430 FamilySearch a fantastic tool

Posted by DerickH on 02 December 2015 - 09:29 AM in Discussion

I use FamilySearch extensively to fill in my missing sources and to extend my families. The only problem I encounter is when I look up a name in my database, FamilySearch fails to list the birth place, making it necessary for me to add it to the blank space in FamilySearch and hit "Update.". Is this an RM problem or is this a FamilySearch problem?

#75429 Error when trying to mark "NOT DUPLICATE"

Posted by DerickH on 02 December 2015 - 09:23 AM in Issues

I imported another database that I didn't realize had a good many duplicates. I used Duplicate Merge to create a list of possible duplicates (by record number). I write down the the duplicates by record number and create a list with 20-30 names. From there, I make whatever edits are necessary. When I get the error message, I restart RM. When it seems to bog down, I use all 4 database tools and start anew. Bear in mind, I have 176,000+ names. I don't know if I am pushing RM to its extreme limits or whether this is an inherent problem. I think that every time I have a problem, any necessary fix benefits everyone. I'll leave that up to you.

#75393 Error when trying to mark "NOT DUPLICATE"

Posted by DerickH on 30 November 2015 - 02:20 PM in Issues

Yes, I do that but it seems to happen on nearly each session.

#75392 Unused places

Posted by DerickH on 30 November 2015 - 02:19 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would love to be able to delete ALL the unused places in my database. This would require to simple addition of a tab to do just that. After extensive edition and merging, I have a very long list of unused places. Thanks

#75370 Adding children requires typing surname

Posted by DerickH on 28 November 2015 - 11:17 AM in Discussion

When adding children to a parent, the program takes the user to the very top of the name list. As I recall, earlier versions of RM took the user to the top of the surname of the parent. If I need to add a particularly long surname, this can be a pain. In any case, I'd like to see the program take me to the first entry of the parent's surname.

#75253 Error when trying to mark "NOT DUPLICATE"

Posted by DerickH on 20 November 2015 - 04:58 PM in Issues

I get a screen to report error when doing manual merge and trying to mark an entry as "not a duplicate."

#74584 Duplicate list disappears when editing begins

Posted by DerickH on 06 October 2015 - 11:00 AM in Discussion

Rene, that is what I am doing now. Merging one name invariably results in other related individuals requiring work. I would opt for the chance to send the list to a file, if that is possible. In the same vein, I would like to be able to edit the Index/Individual Information screen in a limited sense. Often there are duplicate facts--I would like to be able to delete individual fact lines.

#74255 Adding children requires typing in surname

Posted by DerickH on 12 September 2015 - 10:57 AM in Discussion

As I recall, when adding a child, the program defaulted to the first occurrence of the surname in the index and highlighted that surname in the window. The same process now requires typing in of the surname. When adding many names, this can be tiresome. Am I wrong in thinking that this is a feature that was done away with?

#74254 Import omits marriage fact

Posted by DerickH on 12 September 2015 - 10:50 AM in Discussion

Quite some time ago, I imported a FTM GEDCOM that had spouses connected. The result was that none of the connection were evident in RM. I have had to make the connection as I find them. When I run a narrative, the missing connection is evident and I go back and individually make the connection (tedious process). I was hoping that there was some quick and easy way I could accomplish this task. If you can stop laughing long enough, maybe you can come up with a fix.

#74253 Duplicate list disappears when editing begins

Posted by DerickH on 12 September 2015 - 10:45 AM in Discussion

After using the Duplicate Search Merge, I note that not only the listed individual is involved but, often times, other members of the family as well. For that reason, I have taken a new approach and have made a manual list and have written down the record numbers that appear on the left side (I could have the numbers on the right side, for that matter). I then work through the list, making a manual merge of each and correcting any and all details on family members that need correcting.

What might be a helpful tool is to be able to create a list of all the names that appear, since I can't highlight all of the names for a cut-and-paste operation and writing them all down can be tedious.

#74163 Import omits marriage fact

Posted by DerickH on 07 September 2015 - 09:31 AM in Discussion

For some reason, after database imports, the marriage fact was omitted when there is no marriage date or place. After running a narrative report, the omitted spouse appears but no mention is made regarding their marriage. Is there an easy was to connect spouses with just a simple marriage fact?

#73714 Index pages change after editing narrative

Posted by DerickH on 14 August 2015 - 09:17 AM in Discussion

I have created many narrative reports, some in excess of 250+ pages. The report are replete with computerese which I edit out to make the language less stilted. This results in a shorter report which changes the indexed names. Does anyone have a tip on how to make the index reflect the edited report?

#73691 Editing in RM Explorer screen

Posted by DerickH on 13 August 2015 - 10:26 AM in Discussion

Being able to edit the individual's information from the RM Explorer screen (the one with the alphabetical list of names on the left and Individual Information on the right)would be a wonderful option. With 176k names in my database, scrolling down the Explorer screen to find duplicate facts, etc., and being able to delete/correct them would be one of the most helpful tools I can think of when editing my database. Is this feasible?

#73690 Duplicate list disappears when editing begins

Posted by DerickH on 13 August 2015 - 10:09 AM in Discussion

Reply to Renee: EXACTLY. I really hate to re-generate the list each time I edit the person I just merged. That is a disincentive to trying to merge duplicates.

#72666 Duplicate list disappears when editing begins

Posted by DerickH on 06 June 2015 - 09:13 AM in Discussion

When running DUPLICATE SEARCH I get a long list of duplicate candidates. Often, when merging, the merged person has duplicate children and duplicate facts. In order to complete all necessary editing, the window that contained the list of duplicates is GONE! In order to get the list back, it must be re-run, from scratch. It would be nice to have the list retained in another window so merging can be continued from where it left off.

#71537 How to link associations as spouses

Posted by DerickH on 19 March 2015 - 12:03 PM in Discussion

Because of GEDCOM imports and for other unknown reasons, I have couples linked together but without the marriage link. What must I do to identify them as husband and wife? 

#71495 Computerese spoils a narrative

Posted by DerickH on 16 March 2015 - 06:46 AM in Discussion

Just because "we've always done it this way" doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement. :) 

#71295 Computerese spoils a narrative

Posted by DerickH on 04 March 2015 - 11:12 AM in Discussion

Bill Bienia deserves a medal for his creation of the Tips Sheet. Perhaps some folks don't understand all of it but if properly used, it can be of immense value in creating a better narrative with the proper placements of dialogue and tags. As for you, Renee Zamora, you have been an angel with your helpful hints. I know when I see your name attached to a response, I will be getting some factual and helpful assistance with the issue at hand.

A GREAT BIG THANKS!!! :wub: