Jack's Content

There have been 139 items by Jack (Search limited from 18-July 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#61360 Shareable CD

Posted by Jack on 04 December 2013 - 02:50 PM in Discussion

I'm neither a novice at genealogy nor recognizing condescension.

According to her, without knowing how I operate my computer - whether I shut it down each night or allow it to run for months before rebooting or, how long I have kept RM open, it was my fault.

And, I know all about keeping backups Tom but, thanks for the reminder.

#61357 Shareable CD

Posted by Jack on 04 December 2013 - 10:47 AM in Discussion

After thinking about Renee's response to this, and her other responses to problems posted by users, I get the feeling that she is always a tad condescending!

I'm not a software author but I've bought quite a bit of it since my TRS-80 days. I have never complained about any of it without having someone associated with the software company telling me it's my fault if their code has a glitch here and there.

Frankly, I'm getting a bit PO'd at that sort of attitude.

I have very likely purchased my last Roots Magic software!

#61356 Shareable CD

Posted by Jack on 04 December 2013 - 12:24 AM in Discussion

Bad "gather."

#61344 Shareable CD

Posted by Jack on 03 December 2013 - 09:48 AM in Discussion

Trying for first time to make a shareable CD. I get error message that database is locked (SQLite Error 5).

Asked to send/don't sent error report to Roots Magic.

Send selected.

Message sent according to crawl bar in little window that opens.

Goes back to "Collecting media...."

After awhile, I get same SQLite Error 5.

Loop continues until I force RM to close.

I use the DB daily. I wouldn't know how to lock/unlock the file.

What's the problem here?

After closing RM and reopening, the procedure appears to be working as designed.

Still like to know why the above occurred.

#61102 Hot Keys

Posted by Jack on 13 November 2013 - 04:47 AM in Discussion

Just got an e-mail from Renee telling me that I have confirmed what she is seeing!

Oh well...just so it gets fixed.

#61029 Hot Keys

Posted by Jack on 09 November 2013 - 12:09 PM in Discussion

I'm presuming that I have begun a discussion somewhere in the RootsMagic cellar where programmers are attempting to figure out what they are seeing on the screen shot I sent?

#61006 Hot Keys

Posted by Jack on 06 November 2013 - 04:00 PM in Discussion

Done!

Went to upload page and filled out form.

Named file to upload and for the next 10+ minutes the screen told me it was "uploading."

I was invited to enter an e-mail address to qualify for a password in order to view previous problem uploads.

Nothing ever happened from that page.

#61004 Hot Keys

Posted by Jack on 06 November 2013 - 12:50 PM in Discussion

After 10 minutes it's still uploading! I read the news, browsed Facebook and it's still uploading!

Tried to get a password...entered e-mail address, pushed submit and nothing.

#60985 Hot Keys

Posted by Jack on 05 November 2013 - 02:56 PM in Discussion

Where should I send it?

#60978 Hot Keys

Posted by Jack on 04 November 2013 - 04:24 PM in Discussion

Thank you.

Sometimes, using Ctr-R does not bring up the menu in a text note. I have to close RM and reopen to get that to work again.

Back to original problem: When opening Replace, for example in a general text note, the appropriate letters for each of the four choices are not highlighted or underlined. I now understand they do work using the Alt and appropriate letter; e.g., for Replace All. After that action completes, the letters are found to be underlined. However, if the text to be replaced isn't found the letters do not return with the underline.

Because they are not highlighted or underlined the first time I use them, I presumed they were not working and I resorted to clicking on them instead.

So, was that a planned feature?

I can send some screen shots if you like.

#60946 Hot Keys

Posted by Jack on 03 November 2013 - 12:49 PM in Discussion

Any plans in the near future to fix the missing hot keys short cuts?

For example, when using search and replace in Notes, the Find Next, Replace, & Replace All buttons are not hot keys.

#60857 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 26 October 2013 - 01:41 PM in Discussion

I believe near the beginning I said I didn't want to use the Shareable CD option. I repeated it again just above. Sorry if "because I don't want to" is not a good enough reason. There are two of three options that I prefer and the shareable CD is not one of them. I thought the new Publish Online might be superior to HTML but so far it hasn't yet shown worthy of primetime and HTML takes an unreasonable amount of time, 10 to 12 hours to compile depending on which of my two db's I choose. The people that I share my data with are comfortable with HTML, as I am.

RM has gotten to be very proprietary - which I'm sure is good for business - therefore exporting a GEDCOM for use with some third party utility to compile webpages omits a lot of "stuff."

#60850 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 26 October 2013 - 09:16 AM in Discussion

If you are sending a DVD, then why create a website, either with Create HTML or Publish Online? Why not create a Shareable CD? Of course, they must use Windows to use the latter but it is a lot closer to your original database and more complete than either of the web-targeted outputs.

Because I don't want to. See beginning of this topic.

#60822 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 25 October 2013 - 09:04 AM in Discussion

Probably is multi-media.

I was attempting with Publish Online to do what I do when I create HTML files...view the completed website in my browser before burning the pages to DVD data disk. If I can't view them then neither can the folks I send the finished DVD to.

#60711 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 19 October 2013 - 07:49 AM in Discussion

My suggestion to reduce the process priority was not intended to speed up website creation, rather to allow continued normal use of the computer while the website was being created. In my case, running RootsMagic at normal priority while creating a website slows down everything on the PC. For instance, I couldn't really be typing this right now, while rebuilding my website, as I am currently doing. Lowering the priority makes website creation seem faster because you aren't effectively locked out of your computer while it's happening.

I generally start a website in the evening and let it run overnight. Sometimes, It's still running when I get up the next morning.

#60694 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 17 October 2013 - 10:30 AM in Discussion

So I find it hard to see that eventually the Publish Online sites will always be the best choice.
Jerry

Jerry,

My guess is it will likely be RM v8.0 before anything useful comes out of Publish Online.

I have a feeling we're being used as beta testers.

Jack

#60686 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 17 October 2013 - 03:56 AM in Discussion

Hey Jack-

I created the Publish Online sites. I'll try to explain how they are organized. It may seem ridiculous, but there is a method to my madness :)

Thank you for the explanation, Alan.

I do genealogy research and have no time to learn more of the intricacies involved with using my computers than how to turn them on, find my work, do some work and turn them off. And yes, I do know where to have them repaired should they break. Anything else takes away from my research efforts and, to me, is a waste of my research time.

I cannot take the risk of sending any of my work to someone on a DVD and then having to work for hours with them getting it to run in whichever browser they choose to use.

I only use Chrome and occasionally IE10 when "forced" to. The RM Publish Online files do not open on my computer in IE10 and, I get no warning about Active X. Dbl clicking on the index.html file has no affect; e.g., it does nothing but sit there.

This may be incorrect and an over-reach on my part but, It seems to me that much of the work to create a file system such as Publish Online is a RM attempt to protect user privacy. But, is it necessary!? There are not a lot, if any, reports anywhere of genealogy info being used for criminal activity. If that were in fact a problem then FamilySearch.org would have more security on the family files they produce for the world to read! I often wonder what a snoop would find out about me, or anyone in my family by reading information typically found in a genealogical report I create!? Anyone really foolish enough to put their personal family info into such on-line files is only asking for trouble. I would hope that RM users are not that sublime. And, if we are really doing that for other people, should we do so without their permission?!

So, although it takes nearly a full day to create the HTML files, I will accept your suggestion to continue using them for my work.

Please let us users know when, and if, you can make it simple enough for all of us to use the Publish Online pages without having to jump through browser hoops.

My questions here are rhetorical; used mostly for trying to make a point. I have probably failed in that respect.

#60676 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 16 October 2013 - 12:49 PM in Discussion

Renee, I'm still looking for a definition of those Chrome glitches you wrote about!

#60658 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 15 October 2013 - 09:43 AM in Discussion

Jack, you're right I had you confused with Don Newcomb.

You can view the Publish Online files without uploading them. You just need to be aware of the limitation using the Chrome browser.

Which are?

I'm presuming that I can dbl-clk on index.html to begin viewing?

Doing that has no effect even with Chrome completely shut down,

Ditto with IE10 as "default browser."

And, I find no option in RM to upload already created files without rebuilding.

Edit: Just wondering why I have to "jump through hoops" to view the files in a modern, up-to-date browser like Chrome!? Is it perhaps because the developer of this RM utility has not updated it to conform to the advancements made in browser creation? It doesn't even work in IE10.

I get the feeling that the RM pulls "stuff" out of the air, mixes it in with his own work and then lets it rot there, whether or not it works like users want it to; e.g., the county checker.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this needs to catch someone's attention. If I cannot successfully use added features, why do I need your software?

#60656 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 15 October 2013 - 09:31 AM in Discussion

To get your local website to view using Chrome you need to close all Chrome windows first. After you have uploaded your files online then you have no problem viewing in Chrome.

If you want to judge the true speed of generating the websites you need to increase the priority level in the task manager. You've been changing the priority to low and that very much so can effect how long it's taking to create the files.

Are you telling me that I have to upload the files to a Roots Magic website BEFORE I can view them? If accurate, that's not good!

And, you might have me mistaken with someone else. I do not and have not changed any priorities in task manager.

#60652 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 15 October 2013 - 08:56 AM in Discussion

OK...attempted to create a Publish Online file for a smaller database.

This one contains 24520 people
7685 families
46948 events
3020 places
801 sources
17000 citations
3052 multimedia items
2776 mutimedia links

It took about an hour to essentially create nothing!

RM created the following folders on my harddrive:

data
Images
javascript
stylesheet

Under data, it created folders: family, media, name, person, and files contacts.xml and settings.sml, both 1kb files.
Files in the media folder hold xml files that do not display and all sorts of medium, normal and tiny.jpg files that do display.
The name folder contains mostly 1kb *.xml files that do not display in my browser. Likewise the person folder.

The Images folder contains boiler plate images such as right and left arrows, etc. It also contains a folder named ie6, whatever that is and contains images beginning with "border."

The Javascript folder contains *.js files.

The Stylesheet contains *.css files.

Files in the family folder are mostly 1kb *.xml files that do not display in my Chrome browser.

It created the following files:

colorbox.css 6kb
groupsheet.html 2kb
help.html 3kb
index.html 2kb
individual.html 2 kb
names.html 2kb
pedigree.html 2kb

Except for the html files groupsheet, help, index, individual, names and pedigree, I find no other html files in any folder.

The index.html file contains the comments I entered as an introduction. That page also contains links to Index of Names, which is empty as well as an empty Pedigree Chart link.

I'm just clicking on the appropriate buttons as I navigate through the RM site making process. I have 931gb of free space on the hd, formatted to NTFS.

Either I'm doing something incorrectly or, the software is.

Does this implementation of a website utility rely on Java to function properly?

I'm beginning to feel a tad frustrated.

#60649 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 15 October 2013 - 06:33 AM in Discussion

Of course, if you implement a web server and know in advance that it will be populated primarily with tiny files, that fact can be taken into account by picking a file system which deals with small files more gracefully than NTFS.

I think that means I first have to know "stuff" about servers and NTFS that I don't yet know. :-)

I burn all of my HTML files to DVD-R and currently use about half or a little more when I include everything in the list in first entry to this thread.

Once created, it takes less than about 5 minutes to burn the DVD.

All I'm looking for is the ability to create the files in something less than half-to-a-full-day!

#60646 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 15 October 2013 - 03:08 AM in Discussion

It's a tad bit over 4AM here and PUBLISH is still running after nearly 12 hours. Marker is still half way across and hasn't moved overnight.

That's about 2 hours longer than HTML and seemingly not very efficient use of computer time.

The Magician may want to have a chat with whomever designed that utility or, perhaps, consider dumping it and working a bit more on the other website option.

#60643 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 14 October 2013 - 06:27 PM in Discussion

The Publish Online utility also saves it's files to your hard disk before offering to put a site up on RootsMagic.com for you, so you may want to try running it and perhaps you'll want to burn them instead.

I decided that I've give it a try and, after about 3.5 hrs., the marker is half-way across and hasn't moved in 2 of those.

I'll let it run overnight but don't think the program will tell me how long it took to complete the run.

#60637 Loooong Time to Create HTML pages

Posted by Jack on 14 October 2013 - 03:43 PM in Discussion

I assume since you said HTML that you are creating the older HTML websites and not the new Publish Online one. I'm not sure if it is normal to take this long. If it is it's not something we will change because we are not updating the HTML websites anymore.

One thing you could do is turn off your virus scanning software to see if that is effecting the speed when generating the website.

I haven't used or investigated the Publish Online utility yet. I publish my HTML pages to CD-ROM and not interested in publishing to the RM site.