MikeZ's Content

There have been 9 items by MikeZ (Search limited from 17-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#84397 "Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

Posted by MikeZ on 11 July 2017 - 05:10 PM in Issues

Confirming that is on the development list.

Thank you!!

#84367 "Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

Posted by MikeZ on 11 July 2017 - 10:02 AM in Issues

After spending the past 30 minutes clicking through a list of hundreds (I estimated 80, boy was I wrong!) of "changed" people I'll take back my "manageable, but puzzling" comment.   We really need some type of global list selection (via the CTRL/Shift key & RMB) in the Treeshare window to allow a user the option of quickly clearing their "changed" list.

#84363 "Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

Posted by MikeZ on 11 July 2017 - 09:44 AM in Issues

On the RM side we do know of things that will cause large numbers of people to be on the change list. If you edit the Master Source or the Place List (for now) everyone associated with them will be on the change list. I can't think of anything else right now that could put a large number of people on the changed list. 

This may be why I'm seeing considerably more people flagged as "change" than I expect.  I did make changes to a few sources, and merged a few places...

#84361 "Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

Posted by MikeZ on 11 July 2017 - 09:41 AM in Issues

When your typing in the TreeShare index you start with surname, then comma, then given name. Its the comma after the surname that some database will not go any further in the incremental search. As soon as you add the comma it will start over in the index with the next letter you type. Not all databases are behaving this way.

Thank you for this.  Although every person in my entire DB was flagged once as "changed", I do not recall ever typing in any names or a comma.  After the first instance, it has not happened again.  However, recently I am noticing some people flagged as "changed" that I do not recall changing any related information, and  when I compare the RM vs. Ancestry sides the only item that is different is some RM facts have a source icon shown where the Ancestry facts do not - but I the fact source are not new...

After adding 10 people to my RM DB yesterday, I clicked on the Treeshare icon and was shown a list of perhaps 80 people flagged as "changed" - manageable, but puzzling...

#84343 "Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

Posted by MikeZ on 10 July 2017 - 08:35 PM in Issues

I got a taste of the frustration you must feel over this matter, but I was fortunate in that I could restore my DB leaving only 3 people to add.  With everyone in a changed status it negates the utility of that feature.

And I still would like an answer to my earlier question, "where in a person's name does the comma have to be to trigger this?"  I believe knowing specifically what causes this issue is important - a couple of examples would be helpful...

#84206 "Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

Posted by MikeZ on 07 July 2017 - 01:08 PM in Issues

I believe I was fortunate to have made a backup copy just before this happened (the first time).  So I simply restored my DB and had to re-add 3 people.  Now I find myself making a backup after each successful "collecting changes" operation just in case the problem resurfaces - it's happened twice today. 

Quite frankly having to do that wastes time and cycles my hard drive more that I'd like.  However, until this issue is resolved, or RM provides some form of global list selection, I see no other option...

#84199 "Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

Posted by MikeZ on 07 July 2017 - 11:01 AM in Issues

I see, But can't a bulk selection function (combination of shift/CTRL key with the mouse) be added so those who are affected can more readily reset the "changed" flag?  Presently one may only select one at a time, which would not normally be an issue.

To be clear, where in a person's name does the comma have to be to trigger this?

#84190 "Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

Posted by MikeZ on 07 July 2017 - 07:07 AM in Issues

Just had this happen to me.  Now I've got to parse through 18,400 names - not a happy camper! :(  Please add some type of global selection to this list.

Edit: Restored the DB from a backup - only 3 people to add back.  FWIW: I used the "collecting changes" feature multiple times yesterday - moving data to and from Ancestry and I did not experience this problem.  However, this morning after adding a 3rd person to RM everyone in my RM DB was tagged as changed.  Ugh!

#84166 Ver 7.5: Marriage Facts & Child Import

Posted by MikeZ on 06 July 2017 - 11:25 AM in Discussion

So far I'm finding ver 7.5 working well with the Ancestry connections.  However, today I notice two issues that may need to be fixed.

First, when importing a Marriage fact from Ancestry RM does not offer the opportunity to associate that event with a spouse.  It creates a single event for that person, rather than asking the user to "verify" the person's spouse and embed their name into the marriage fact.  While you can properly D/L the Ancestry marriage info to each spouse, you'll still have to create a marriage event in RM to connect the spouses with that information (if that's your desire) and then delete the individual marriage facts D/Ld from Ancestry.

Second Item.  I inadvertently added a child (from an Ancestry tree) to its mother (in RM) without first adding the child's father to RM. When I did add the father it somehow created a duplicate child with a new record number.  When I inspected my RM pedigree tree for each I found the child added without its father having been entered created a "mini" family consisting of 4 people - each was a replication of the "phantom" child, but all 4 had the same record number.  Deleting the leftmost child in RM removed all 4 persons.  In hind sight it may have been helpful if I had captured the screen image of that "mini family" tree...