Madge's Content

There have been 16 items by Madge (Search limited from 14-August 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#97464 Sharing Facts from Certificates

Posted by Madge on 05 June 2020 - 01:31 PM in Discussion

When I have shared a fact from say a Birth Certificate I usually just share the name of the Informant which is usually one of the parents, but did I ought to also share the parents as Father and Mother?  What do others do?

As the parents are already in the database as parents it seems like a lot of extra work but did they ought to be shared?

Any advice appreciated.

Margaret.

#97429 Sentence for shared Probate Records

Posted by Madge on 02 June 2020 - 04:33 AM in Discussion

Thank you Trebor22 and mjashby, it seems to get more complicated by the day, but at the same time interesting. I have ordered a couple of Wills in the past just to be nosey, I'll obviously have to order a few more.

Margaret.

#97426 Sentence for shared Probate Records

Posted by Madge on 02 June 2020 - 02:45 AM in Discussion

Thank you Jerry and Tom, perhaps changing 'Witness' to 'Beneficiary' will answer though I'm not sure if just because their name is mentioned on the Probate Record it doesn't mean that they actually benefitted I have found one where the only name was the Nat West Bank, so I assumed that maybe these people were in charge of seeing that the money was properly distributed.  I obviously need to see if there is a Will anywhere, the whole thing seems like a minefield to me!

Thanks for your input.

Margaret.

#97421 Sentence for shared Probate Records

Posted by Madge on 01 June 2020 - 01:23 PM in Discussion

I've just found some probate records which I am trying to share with the people mentioned, but the only sentence is for a Witness which doesn't sound right, what sentence structure do others use?

Not sure if I've made myself clear, the Probate Notice reads:- "NEVILLE, Horace William of ………… died ………… Probate London 7 November to Gladys Maude Neville widow".  I'm happy with his part of the record but when I share with Gladys her sentence reads "Gladys Maude Neville witnessed the Probate", but I'm not sure that is right, I don't know much about probate but I didn't think that there were witnesses involved, is there a sentence that I ought to be using instead of 'Witness'?  If so can someone tell me how to format it please. 

Thanks for any help.

Margaret.

#97128 Scanned letters and other documents

Posted by Madge on 28 April 2020 - 06:40 AM in Discussion

Another place to store scanned correspondence is in the correspondence list. There's a correspondence record and a place for a file name. However, AFAIK, the correspondence list is not accessible to the source list. I could be wrong but I have not figured out how.  

I'd forgotten about that, thank you Don.

#97092 Scanned letters and other documents

Posted by Madge on 24 April 2020 - 04:27 AM in Discussion

Thank you everyone, looking through the replies I think that I will go on adding the scan to the source and also adding it to the appropriate Fact in the 'Edit Person' screen, although it makes more work at least I will know if I've scanned the document without going through multiple screens. 

Margaret.

#97081 Scanned letters and other documents

Posted by Madge on 23 April 2020 - 09:22 AM in Discussion

I've just started scanning certificates, letters etc. so that I can add them to my RootsMagic  file, but I am a bit confused as to where to add the scans, they are obviously a Source so presumably should be attached to the source, but should I also add them to the Fact on the Edit Person screen?

Example:- I have a letter from an aunt giving me the birth dates, wives etc of a branch of the family, I have added the letter as a source and have also added the scanned letter to the source, but opposite the birth fact on the Edit Person screen there is a column with a camera icon so should I also attach the scanned document there?  The same query also applies to Certificates, do the scans get added in both places? 

Any help or best practice would be appreciated.

Margaret.

#96590 Shared Fact Sentence

Posted by Madge on 17 February 2020 - 01:32 PM in Discussion

Hi Jerry, thank you for your patience, I was looking in the wrong place to do the deletion, I have now got it all sorted - I think.

Thanks again

Margaret

#96588 Shared Fact Sentence

Posted by Madge on 17 February 2020 - 09:58 AM in Discussion

On the Forums under General there is a Sentence and Source Templates topic.

Thank you Renee.

#96587 Shared Fact Sentence

Posted by Madge on 17 February 2020 - 09:51 AM in Discussion

Go back into the fact list, highlight the basic fact (not the role), Edit.

At this point, you will see the list of roles. Highlight the role in question, click the Delete button.

I'm assuming from your description of your situation that you have the role in there twice. You will have to delete the duplicate. It will not let you delete a role which in use, so you will have to select the duplicate that is not in use. If both are in use you will have to "un-use" one of the duplicates by going into the Edit Person screen where it is being used and "un-share" it there before going back into the Fact List to delete the duplicate role.

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

thank you for your reply, the role that I created twice isn't in the main fact list it just appears in the Shared Fact.  When I click on Share This Fact, I select the name of the person that I want to share with then I can choose a 'Role' the inbuilt ones are 'Witness' and 'Doctor', I wanted to add 'Informant' which I have done twice, and it is these two that I want to delete, I can't see any way of doing it.

Margaret.

#96583 Shared Fact Sentence

Posted by Madge on 17 February 2020 - 03:12 AM in Discussion

I've actually managed to construct a sentence that works, but I have been left with two 'Role' titles of Informant, and I can't work out how to delete them and start again, can anyone help me with this please.

Thank you.

#96581 Shared Fact Sentence

Posted by Madge on 16 February 2020 - 12:52 PM in Discussion

I'm sure that some time ago there was a list of templates for shared fact sentences but I can't find it now.  I wish to create a shared fact sentence for the informant on a birth certificate reading something like : He/she registered the birth of (name) on (date) in (place), could someone please write me a sentence or point me in the direction of the list.

Many thanks

#94406 Funeral Attendees

Posted by Madge on 08 July 2019 - 02:31 AM in Discussion

Most times when I've gone to a funeral there will be someone at the door taking names and often the local paper will run an Obituary which will give these names plus the relationship to the deceased and who they are representing, great for picking up previously unknown relationships and background to the life of the deceased.

#94386 Funeral Attendees

Posted by Madge on 07 July 2019 - 04:23 AM in Discussion

I haven't found many wills yet, the few that I do have aren't very helpful for family history purposes, apart from some astronomical amounts of money that seem to have disappeared or completely by-passed me. :)  :)  :)

#94367 Funeral Attendees

Posted by Madge on 06 July 2019 - 08:01 AM in Discussion

Nettie, that is wonderful, the sentence does exactly what I want.  Thank you so much.

#94358 Funeral Attendees

Posted by Madge on 05 July 2019 - 11:43 AM in Discussion

Apologies if this has been asked before, how do others record the names of people who attend funerals.  I've got a couple of obituaries from the USA that give details of Pall Bearers etc., here in the UK we usually just list the people who attend funerals along with their relationship to the deceased.  I would like to record under individual names that they attended the funeral, a sentence along the lines of "he/she attended the funeral of (name of deceased) at (Place, Church)".

If someone could write me a sentence along those lines I would be really grateful as I get very bogged down and they never seem to make sense, or does anyone have any better ideas.

Thank you.