Penna_tmn's Content

There have been 7 items by Penna_tmn (Search limited from 18-July 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#34715 Storage of backups

Posted by Penna_tmn on 03 April 2010 - 01:24 PM in Discussion

Thank you. I shall do as suggested. I already named the databases the same as the tree but I didn't have the wit to make sub folders. As Ken Roy says I do have to keep each tree separate but by using subforlers and dating backups that should help. I will be more regular with deleting old backups -it is when I leave it for while that I tend to get muddled.

I'm off to start work!

#34699 Storage of backups

Posted by Penna_tmn on 03 April 2010 - 05:13 AM in Discussion

I have to deal with hundreds of separate trees in order to manage a one name study website. I use RM4 on my desktop and TNG for my website. I have no problem with the export of gedcoms from RM4 to the website or of management of TNG but I do have a management problem with RM4 on my own computer because website users constantly request additions to each tree.

Currently I manage amendments by saving the details until I have several for the same tree ,retrieving the tree from RM4 files,adding or amending and then making a new gedcom for upload as usual. I then hit a problem because the tree I am looking for may not feature in the list of "recent files". When I ask RM to search for RM files I am faced with seemingly hundreds of files as backups.

Is there no way that a backup can overwrite the last backup? This would save me searching through all the different back up dates each time.

Is there a way that the most recent version can be retrieved more easily?

Also would it be better for me to make indivual folders for each tree storage.

What IS the best way to manage this situation?

Advice will be very welcome

#33739 Where should I save backup files to?

Posted by Penna_tmn on 22 February 2010 - 01:08 PM in Discussion

I have a large number of different trees and find difficulty when I want to work on one that does not feature in the RECENT list. I try find files and choose the one with the most recent date only to end up with opening an empty database!

What AM I doing wrong. Am I saving to the wrong location?

Penna

#28208 Making a shareable CD

Posted by Penna_tmn on 18 July 2009 - 08:55 AM in Discussion

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jul 18 2009, 03:15 PM) View Post

If you only want to include part of your tree, you will have to create a new database and copy just that part you want to use.

Create the new, empty database - File - New - give it a name(Out-Law ?)
Create a GEDCOM file from your main database of selected people
File - Export - Selected People-Select from List
Highlight your son-in-law
Mark People
ancestors and children of ancestors -- (You could do Ancestors and collateral lines, but if there is any connection between any of his ancestors and yours, you will get the entire tree. {Even if it's only your cousin's brother-in-law married a cousin of his.})

You may want to do another selection to add yourself with descendants and spouses.
Finish the GEDCOM file

Now, move into the empty database and import the GEDCOM file. Check to see if you have the right people there.
If you do:
Go to Tools - Create sharable CD and create it. You may be better off watching the screen to see WHERE it stores the files then burn the CD with the program that came with your computer.
---------
Good Grief! I wasted my time typing this.
I went to Tools - Create Sharable CD and pressed the F1 key and a detailed instruction page popped up.

Not a waste of time at all Alfred. It was the gedcom bit that I couln't understand and now I know how to do it. Thank you

Penna

#28206 Making a shareable CD

Posted by Penna_tmn on 18 July 2009 - 07:22 AM in Discussion

Can anyone advise on making a shareable CD of part of my tree? I want to make one for my son-in-law to show all of his ancestors.

I can't work out how to do this

Penna

#25869 Using RootsMagic ToGo

Posted by Penna_tmn on 20 April 2009 - 10:04 AM in Discussion

The opportunity to put copies of a database on a memory stick will be invaluable for me but I wonder if there is a simply worded tutorial on viewing the data. I am afraid that my family members may find a genealogy program rather daunting to negotiate.

Adela

#25735 Rm3 on Vista

Posted by Penna_tmn on 15 April 2009 - 01:16 PM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(Alfred @ Apr 15 2009, 07:53 PM) View Post

It seems to work fine if you do not install it in the default folder, "Program Files."
I created a new folder in C:\ "My Programs" and installed RootsMagic 3 there.
C:\My Programs\RoorsMagic\

The only reason for this is that Vista does not like you changing files in it's Program Files folder and RootsMagic 3 keeps it's user edited spelling file with it's program files.

Setting the folders options the same in both computers would be a good idea.
If you start ritht in the drive letter, something like:
C:\RM Data
C:\RM Data\Backups
ETC...
would keep things easier to coordinate.

Alfred,

Can you advise on how to move it from Progam when it is already installed. My main problem seems to be with the MERGE functions.

Adela