apw6270's Content

There have been 12 items by apw6270 (Search limited from 11-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#18498 Using RM on Multiple Machines

Posted by apw6270 on 08 May 2007 - 05:52 PM in RootsMagic 3

I use a Shared Folder and Synchronization (both built into Windows) to automatically synchronize Roots data (and other data such as emails, OE Address Book, IE Favourites, and certain documents etc) between a Laptop and Desktop.

No need for an external hard drive, a flash drive, zip file creation, manual file moving, or double saving. I just click on 'yes, synchronize' when prompted.

If anyone is interested, I'll explain how to do this. Be aware that it requires both computers to be networked (wired or wireless) and is semi-technical.

#17483 Backup

Posted by apw6270 on 07 February 2007 - 01:23 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

kbens0n,

1) The bit about 'Ask only when changes have been made' refers to being asked about making a backup upon exiting the program, and NOT about confirming overwrite of an existing file.

2) <Alt-F>, K, <Enter>, <Enter>, Y only works if you have only one Roots database or you have all your backups in one folder. If, like me, you have many Roots databases, one for each separate unconnected person you are performing research for, and you have one folder for each database with subfolders for things like reports, multimedia, backups, research notes, etc etc etc, then you need to navigate to the appropriate place. <Alt-F>, K, <Enter>, <Enter>, Y on its own is therefore insufficient. This problem is compounded by the fact that the Folders option in Roots only allows absolute paths and not relative paths.

3) I'm not making a "big deal" of it. This forum is for Wish List's, and I wish that I was asked to backup only when necessary, and I wish I was asked to confirm overwrite just once. Millions of other apps do it, why has Roots got to be different?

GRRRRR. mad.gif

#17467 Backup

Posted by apw6270 on 07 February 2007 - 06:41 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Feb 6 2007, 12:04 PM) View Post

Send me your data and I'll do the work for you!

What work?

#17452 Backup

Posted by apw6270 on 05 February 2007 - 01:38 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Feb 2 2007, 01:07 AM) View Post

Go into options and change your settings so you won't be asked to backup any more.

Unfortunately this option gives one extreme or the other: Never ask even when changes have been made, or, always ask even when no changes have been made.

There is no sensible middle ground adopted by millions of other applications throughout the years: Ask only when changes have been made.

And there is no reason to twice confirm overwriting of an existing file.

#17393 Propagate Census (Family) to children

Posted by apw6270 on 01 February 2007 - 05:58 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

In all actuality, "family" facts are really only for the "couple". So if one spouse is deceased, I wouldn't use the Census (Family) fact.

I'm not suggesting that a 'family' fact is created for the children and single parents. The software would create the appropriate fact types - 'family' for parents, 'individual' for single parent and each child, etc.

#17392 Backup

Posted by apw6270 on 01 February 2007 - 05:50 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Why am I asked if I want to backup a database that I have not changed, and why am I asked twice if I want to overwrite an existing backup?

#16388 Rename

Posted by apw6270 on 08 November 2006 - 09:51 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

There are a lot of repeated requests for basic functionality improvments, and there are just as many work-arounds. Perhaps the program should be renamed BodgeMagic.

#13552 Not Enough Generations

Posted by apw6270 on 17 May 2006 - 06:58 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Clearly it is not possible to use just 5 bits to store 4KM numbers, and I havent suggested that it is. mad.gif

Clearly the number of ancestors in a number of generations is 2ⁿ where n is the number of generations. dry.gif

If one ancestor was added to the database every second, it would take over 136 years NON STOP to add all 4KM of them. No one could possibly add all the ancestors in 32 generations. ohmy.gif

The limit of 32 generations is imposed because someone who has only half thought about the problem has decided that 4KM ancestors would be reached before 32 generations. blink.gif

I guarantee the originator of this thread has *significantly* less than 4KM ancestors in his 32+ generations. rolleyes.gif

The limit of 32 generations is artificially imposed.

#13517 Not Enough Generations

Posted by apw6270 on 16 May 2006 - 04:41 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I don't assume anything and it is simple to implement, and before you say "go on then, do it", I already am. tongue.gif

There is no reason to store the ancestor number in a single bit, therefore the limit *IS* artificially imposed.

It's all down to poor or lazy programming.

#13495 Dragable image in Multimedia Photo Editor

Posted by apw6270 on 15 May 2006 - 02:56 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would like the multimedia image that appears in the Photo Editor window to be scrollable by dragging, in addition to using the scroll bars.

#13494 Propagate Census (Family) to children

Posted by apw6270 on 15 May 2006 - 02:45 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

And how about the Date field being a Drop-Down List containing the dates of the censuses so that I don't keep having to type them in. smile.gif

The dates in the list can be based on the locale so that UK and US dates etc are listed as appropriate. cool.gif

#13493 Not Enough Generations

Posted by apw6270 on 15 May 2006 - 02:28 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

That was right - you only need 5 bits to store 32 numbers, not 32 bits, therefore the limit is artificially imposed.