Jillaine Smith's Content

There have been 7 items by Jillaine Smith (Search limited from 08-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#90879 RM 7 won't open rmgc file

Posted by Jillaine Smith on 29 August 2018 - 06:17 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

i've re-installed my Feb 2018 download of RM7. I see it says there's an update available, and I realize that I'd installed this update a few days ago. Perhaps there's a bug in it?

When I opened the newly reinstalled RM7, it automatically opened up yesterday's RMGC file. I was able to File:Exit and skip backup without problem.

i think I'll stay away from the update for now...

#90878 RM 7 won't open rmgc file

Posted by Jillaine Smith on 29 August 2018 - 06:10 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Yesterday, when I quit out of RM, the program froze after I selected Skip Backup. 

An error message popped up then disappeared (so didn't capture it). I tried quitting again and it seemed like it quit, but there was no backup message.

This morning, my RMGC file (the one that was involved in the freeze yesterday) won't open.

I can't use the sub-RM7 File: Open at all. In fact, as I'm checking, NONE of the sub menu's display. 

The "outer envelope" RM7 File:Open does work, but under "Recent files" does not include yesterday's RMGC file.

If I use its normal File: Open, I can navigate and find my RMGC file, but when I double click on it, nothing happens.  I tried opening another RMGC file (one I was not working on yesterday), and had the same result.

This makes me think that the "inner" RM7 app is not working.

I will try re-installing.

EDIT: When I tried to quit out of RM7 just now, nothing happened. I'm going to have to force quit. I think this happened yesterday too.

#88025 Unlock RootsMagic for Mac

Posted by Jillaine Smith on 16 February 2018 - 12:50 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Renee, just know that the first screen when you first open RM doesn't stay onthe screen; it disappeared.

Bob C, almost: I found it under Help: but it said "License" or something-- it's gone now because I've entered the code. Now the menu says Help:Register.

What's odd is that I could SWEAR that last night I looked in the exact same place before posting my question. Oh well... I'm all set now.

Hope this answer helps others who might come after me.

I'm also pleased that the re-installation fixed a nasty bug I was having with one particular file.

It wasn't the link problem others have reported but error messages like:

• JSON data has an invalid number (<html>) at Line 1, P… (several of these when I tried to do about anything)
  • External exception C0000194.
  • List index out of bounds (4)
  • Canvas does not allow drawing. [after looking at a source]

Not getting any of those any more...

#88017 Unlock RootsMagic for Mac

Posted by Jillaine Smith on 16 February 2018 - 07:26 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Where do you enter the RM7 key to  unlock full features? I can't find any place to do this.

#88016 Unlock RootsMagic for Mac

Posted by Jillaine Smith on 16 February 2018 - 07:21 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Renee, 

I followed your instructions.

After re-install, I  got the "elements"  version and can't find where to enter my purchase code to unlock the full version. I searched help; I explored the Purchase options--no place to enter my code. Please advise.

Thanks.

#85890 Creating groups of descendants by Line

Posted by Jillaine Smith on 09 September 2017 - 03:27 PM in Discussion

Found it. 

It's not obvious. 

Once you've created a new group, and selected an individual, you have to click on "Mark Groups" in upper left corner. It's not obvious because it's already checked, so it's not clear that it's something you'd click on in order to see a drop down menu. But when you do click on it, there are options for what to mark, including descendants of highlighted person.

#85889 Creating groups of descendants by Line

Posted by Jillaine Smith on 09 September 2017 - 03:18 PM in Discussion

Select your start person when creating the group. Then under Mark Group you can select "Descendants of highlighted person". It will give you more options after that.

I'm trying to create a group (so I can export it to a GEDCOM) of descendants of a particular person. I create a group, select my starting person, but I find no option for selecting "Descendants of highlighted person"

I attach a screen shot. Dang. I can't upload a screen shot. Sigh. I have to upload it somewhere. Mm... there's a "My Media" but when I click on it, there is no option to upload a file. harumph.

Okay, without a screenshot: Please advise. Thanks.