Rich Larsen's Content

There have been 7 items by Rich Larsen (Search limited from 02-April 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#59842 Denmark Locations Suggestion Needed

Posted by Rich Larsen on 25 August 2013 - 08:10 PM in Discussion

Thanks Vyger and John. Good points. I am going to have to give this some thought before I make a final decision. I really appreciate your explanations and time to respond.

#59830 Denmark Locations Suggestion Needed

Posted by Rich Larsen on 24 August 2013 - 09:43 PM in Discussion

Greetings!
I need a suggestion from those who use RM while doing Danish research.
As I have learned new Danish research techniques, I have found that most searches like to have the Amt (County), Herred (District) and Søgn (Parish) information. Bunt once you have entered that information and get some results, you have one further location that translates to "Place Name". As I understand it this place is like a neighborhood or modern subdivision. This information is usually missing in research that had been done before, but is vitally important as it is very helpful when verifying that you are looking at the correct person. Many records mention the (person name) from (place name).

My question is, would this place name be better located in the "Place" field or "Place Detail" field? It is most likely a matter of personal preference, but I am curious as to what others do.

Thanks, Rich

#59562 RM6 data/media files home server

Posted by Rich Larsen on 12 August 2013 - 06:48 PM in Discussion

I don't htink the netork will have any trouble keeping up with me. :)

#59558 RM6 data/media files home server

Posted by Rich Larsen on 12 August 2013 - 03:45 PM in Discussion

I have used Roots Magic for years and love it! I have a network with a home server attached that I would like to store all of my data & media files on and be able to access it from either of the two computers in our home. The program files will be on each local machine. Will this give me any grief?
I also intend to sync all of these files to the more powerful of the two machines which is connected to an online back up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

#57593 Fixing Media Links

Posted by Rich Larsen on 19 April 2013 - 09:51 PM in Discussion

Thank you so much for the replies. I found the tools method and it worked like a charm. The Search method was the one I was thinking of but couldn't quite see it through all the cobwebs in the noggin.

#57592 RM6 and Win7

Posted by Rich Larsen on 19 April 2013 - 09:31 PM in Discussion

Reasons: leave the system drive as just that, the new drive partition contains only data and not system files, the new drive or partition can be mirrored or synchronized to another external drive or in my case a network drive and my laptop so I have all my important files on each.

Hi Vyger

I am just wondering how you set up your network? I have my main desktop from which I do my profession and quite often genalogy. I have tons of space on this machine dedicated to Family History which I would like to keep as my main location for that purpose as it is backed up by Carbonite. But I would also like to make a mirrored copy to my home server so that I could work on it from any machine on the network. and make sure that it syncs with my main location. In the past I have used Puresync to sync files on a thumb drive which worked pretty well, but I haven't tried it for network syncing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, so that I make sure that I am on the up-and-up, should I have a license of RM for each machine that I use on the network or would one license suffice?

Thanks, Rich

#57526 Fixing Media Links

Posted by Rich Larsen on 17 April 2013 - 02:03 PM in Discussion

I just built a new computer and decided to rearrange my drives to make more sense, Dirve "G" for genealogy. Is there a way to re-point my links to drive G in one step? The rest of the path will remain the same.

Thanks, Rich