vlanders's Content

There have been 29 items by vlanders (Search limited from 21-January 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#17698 Propagate Census (Family) to children

Posted by vlanders on 19 February 2007 - 07:38 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Add my name to the list of users who would love to see this feature. smile.gif

#17161 Quick question re: Descendants list

Posted by vlanders on 10 January 2007 - 04:56 AM in RootsMagic 3

I somehow managed to print off a variation of the "Descendants" list report, which, instead of having leading dots before each name, has lines on the left-hand side, visually linking each person's children.

I cannot for the life of me remember how I printed this report. Can anyone give me a hand here?

EDITED: Never mind, I figured it out! It was "Box Chart", Descendants, single line (no boxes).

#15701 Finding females by married name

Posted by vlanders on 20 September 2006 - 09:53 AM in RootsMagic 3

Thank you both for your replies. A solution to my problem, and quickly, too! Gotta love this message board.

#15697 Finding females by married name

Posted by vlanders on 20 September 2006 - 06:46 AM in RootsMagic 3

When looking at cemetery transcripts, etc., I will do a search of my database to see if any names match. But, I have my women entered by their maiden names, and the women on the lists usually have only their married name listed.

Any suggestion on how to search, create a custom report, or otherwise obtain a list of women on my database by married name?

Thanks!

#15663 Showing Family facts for females

Posted by vlanders on 17 September 2006 - 12:15 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Don,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am talking about the Residence(Family) fact, which isn't appearing for the children. And, yeah, I just noticed now that it isn't appearing for the males, either. When I wrote my post, I thought it was only the females.

For example, let's say I have a Family Group Sheet for the Jones family. They have two children, John and Peter. John married at the age of 25, but Peter remained single. My Family Group Sheet lists their parents at the top, along with all pertinent facts. For the children, it lists Peter's residence for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, and 1900 (all individual facts). For John, it lists his residence for 1850 and 1860 (individual facts), then no information appears on the Family Group Sheet regarding his whereabouts in 1870, 1880, or 1900 (during which time he was married, and his residence was entered as a Family fact along with his wife). His wife died, and low and behold, widowed John now appears with his 1910 residence on the Family Group Sheet (again, as an individual, not a family, fact). Reading the Family Group Sheet, it gives the impression that I don't know where he was during the entire time he was married!

The only work around I can think of is to simply add ALL facts as individual facts, and not use the Family facts. Is there any particular advantage to adding a fact as a family fact as opposed to as an individual fact for each spouse?

#15658 Showing Family facts for females

Posted by vlanders on 17 September 2006 - 07:20 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Hi,

I have a request regarding the family facts. I understand, when showing a husband and wife, that the family facts show under the husband's name, and are not repeated for the wife. But, when running a Family Group Sheet, all family facts for the female children are lost. For example, I have residences for the female children showing only until they are married, and then again after they are widowed. But the residence facts during their marriage are not showing on the Family Group Sheet. (Again, I am speaking about the females listed as children on the Family Group Sheet.)

I understand that these facts will appear if I run a Family Group Sheet for the family in which the female in question is the wife. But I don't want to do this for all the female siblings of my ancestors. Yet, when running the Family Group Sheet for the ancestor, I would like to see all the facts for the siblings, including family facts.

I hope I have explained myself. If there is already a way to get the information I want, please let me know. Thanks!

#15331 Online viewing for family without RM software

Posted by vlanders on 25 August 2006 - 05:53 AM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(Jillaine Smith @ Jul 22 2006, 02:00 PM) View Post

I also STRONGLY recommend WorldConnect:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com
(use the Rootsweb "side" not the Ancestry.com side.)

What do you mean by using the Rootsweb side instead of the Ancestry.com side, and why do you recommend we do so?

#15330 Question about book that comes w/ RootsMagic CD

Posted by vlanders on 25 August 2006 - 05:44 AM in RootsMagic 3

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but I did want to thank you for your response. I think for the time being, I'll play around with "Help Topics", and post the occassional question here, if need be. Thanks again.

#15310 Question about book that comes w/ RootsMagic CD

Posted by vlanders on 24 August 2006 - 06:24 AM in RootsMagic 3

I bought the downloadable version of RM. I was too anxious to get started to wait for a CD in the mail. However, if I had bought the CD, I would have bought it with the book. Now, I don't know if it's worth ordering the book separately.

I do have a lot of questions - mostly about Custom Reports, Book Creation, and Web Site Creation. Are these topics well-covered in the book? Would it be helpful to me to buy a copy of the book, or simply ask my questions (there are many) here on the Message boards? How thorough is this book, and how valuable did those of you who have it find it to be?

#14307 Address List

Posted by vlanders on 27 June 2006 - 02:41 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Choosing the As Entered in Address Dialog allows the user to print out women by their married names, but the list is still alphabetized by maiden name.

In the following example, Mary Brown's married name is Smith.

Address list printed Given Surname =

Joseph Allen
Mary Brown
Peter Carlson

Address list printed As Entered in Address Dialog =

Joseph Allen
Mary Smith
Peter Carlson

I think what Kay wants is a list with married surnames, in alphabetical order, like this =

Joseph Allen
Peter Carlson
Mary Smith

#14186 Changing Individual Facts to Family Facts

Posted by vlanders on 20 June 2006 - 08:14 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I often import data that contains individual facts which apply to both spouses. I would like to be able to change these individual facts to family facts, using the "Change Fact Type..." function.

I am currently changing them manually, but that means quite a bit of copy & paste to get all the details in, memorize & paste of all the sources, checking to see if there are fact notes and/or media file links I need to add, plus remembering to delete the individual fact from both spouses. Too much room for error!

PS - I also would like to be able to apply family facts to children. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere on the "Wish List", and I second the idea.

#13905 Multiple birthdates

Posted by vlanders on 01 June 2006 - 10:07 PM in RootsMagic 3

I have only one birthdate fact for each person in my database. In the case of conflicting data, I either go with the best bet or use an estimate (c. 1889).

I add every census I find as another source for the birthdate. Even if I have, for example, a birth certificate, I still add each and every census. When adding the census sources, in Citation Details I type words to the effect of "Age 12. Born in Ohio." or "Age 12. Born Mar 1889 in Ohio", etc. depending on the information contained in that year's census.

One thing I especially like about RootsMagic is that when you click on the Fact Sources for the birthdate fact, you can see all sources, along with the citation texts. Thus, when I look at my Birthdate sources, I see something like this:

1860 Census Age 12.
1870 Census Age 22.
1880 Census Age 32.
1900 Census Age 52. Born Nov 1847.
etc.

This is different than the calculated age that shows on the facts page. What shows here is the age indicated on the census sheet itself. Which means, of course, that some of my people look more like this:

1860 Census Age 15
1870 Census Age 21
1880 Census Age 37
etc.

So far, this system has served me well. I would like to know if there is any particular advantage to adding more than one Birth facts. I haven't been doing it just because it looks tidier to only have one. If anyone has a good reason why I might want to have more, I'd be interested in hearing it.

#13409 Multiple surnames

Posted by vlanders on 12 May 2006 - 05:30 PM in RootsMagic 3

I enter both surnames in the surname field, and have not had any problems whatsoever.

The only inconvenience is that the program defaults to the father's surnames when entering children. So, for example, each and every one of Juan Castro Rodriguez and Juana Lopez Solis's children will be given the default surnames of Castro Rodriguez, and the user must manually change Rodriguez to Lopez for each child entered. (As opposed to Family Tree Maker - in FTM, the user only has to change the surname for the first child, and all subsequent children will automatically be given the corrected surname.)

#12229 Source Wizard

Posted by vlanders on 12 March 2006 - 09:53 AM in RootsMagic 3

Thanks for the reply, Alfred. What you suggest is almost identical to what I had been doing, so I guess I instinctively understood more than I thought I had.

What about the Repository? What, if anything would I put there? Would the church be the primary and the FHL be the secondary repository?

#12217 Source Wizard

Posted by vlanders on 12 March 2006 - 03:22 AM in RootsMagic 3

I need help learning how all this works. Could someone guide me through this?

There is the tab for Source, which you can use Source Wizard to help you fill out, then there is the tab for Text, which includes both Actual Text and Comments, and then there is a tab for Repository, which asks for the Primary and Secondary repositories. In addition, you can click on Details, which asks for Film/Volume/Page in addition to asking (again?) for Actual Text and Comments. Help! What goes where?

Here ia an actual example. On Ancestry.com, there is a database which they call "York County, Pennsylvania, 1773-1901: Lischy's Reformed Church". When you search this database, you get the following information:

Father's name - Mother's name - Child's name - Date of Birth - Date of Baptism

Under that is the following:

Description:
Jacob Lischy, an immigrant from Switzerland, arrived in Philadelphia in 1742 and became a Reformed minister the following year. He served all of the Reformed congregations in York County at various times between 1745 and 1770. The late William J. Hinke translated Lischy's records from German to English in 1921 and again in 1941. His manuscript has been microfilmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. The records in this database span the years 1773-1901 and include the names of more than 6,700 individuals. For researchers of German immigrant ancestors who settled in Pennsylvania, this database can provide valuable vital statistics not available in other records.

Under that, it says:

Source Information:
Lineages, Inc., comp. York County, Pennsylvania, 1773-1901: Lischy's Reformed Church. [database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000. Records transcribed from Family History Library microfilm copies of church records for this locality. For more information, see Family History Library Catalog (FHLC) #20351.

Based on the above information, how would I add a source for the child's birth and baptism in my database? What goes in source, what in details, what in repository, etc. Also, if I use Source Wizard, and call this a Baptismal record, do I just leave the part about Book, Title, and Entry blank? Or, since I haven't actually seen the Baptismal record itself, do I choose something else on Source Wizard? If so, what?

#12147 Burial & Cemetery

Posted by vlanders on 08 March 2006 - 11:17 AM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 8 2006, 12:14 PM) View Post

Have you tried:
Reports > Lists > Individual list >
etc. etc,

Oh, I like that! Especially adding spouse and children, so I can look for them, too. The only thing I didn't like was that it came out in alphabetical order by person, not by cemetery. But I can work with that when I edit the report manually. Or, report cemetery by cemetery.

Thanks for the tip.

#12139 Name Source

Posted by vlanders on 08 March 2006 - 04:32 AM in RootsMagic 3

Upon purchasing RootsMagic, I imported my database from Family Tree Maker. All my sources for the Name of the individuals in Family Tree Maker were converted by RootsMagic into general sources for the individual.

To be honest, I assumed that's what the individual's general Source tab was meant for. So, in addition to being interested in hearing from others as to where they put their Name sources in RootsMagic, I'd like to know what people are using the general Source tab for, if not for the name.

#12086 Source list report and Main screen of database

Posted by vlanders on 06 March 2006 - 08:08 AM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(aplucinik @ Mar 6 2006, 09:57 AM) View Post

"Any Ideas"

Yes, send the report to a pdf, rtf, or txt file instead of Screen/Printer. Open the report in Acrobat Reader or a word processor such as Word. Now you can switch back and forth between RM and the Word or PDF document. No need to regenerate the report each time.

I was about to write back to say this is exactly what I wanted to do but couldn't (because, as I say in my above post, the print option is set to printer). But, I went back and tried again. OF COURSE! <blushes>

The option of where to send the report needs to be set BEFORE creating the report, not at the moment of printing. I knew that. <shakes head> That's what I get for trying to print reports before I am fully awake.

Thanks for the quick reply.

#12084 Source list report and Main screen of database

Posted by vlanders on 06 March 2006 - 07:28 AM in RootsMagic 3

I created the report Source List. I don't want to print it, b/c it is just under 200 pages long.

I'm using this report to help me update my sources in my database. I read down the report, and see something I want to fix/modify/add, etc. I close the report and update my database. Now, I have to create the report all over again. Scan report and see something to fix. Close report. Fix database. Create report. etc.

Is there any way I can flip back & forth? Eg. if I could print the report to file, I'd open the file and have RM running at the same time. But the print option seems to be set to automatically print to printer.

Any ideas?

#12075 Burial & Cemetery

Posted by vlanders on 05 March 2006 - 09:07 AM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Mar 5 2006, 09:02 AM) View Post

Now, you can search for people buried in Detroit without having to search each of it's cemeteries in a place list.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I tried doing something like this, and I got a list of everyone buried in a particular city, but I couldn't figure out how to get the name of the cemeteries they were buried in on the report. How do you print your report?

Right now, I don't search for each cemetery. I use the technique I describe in an earlier post called "Places - Question about Reports". I end up with a very useful report that looks like this:

Pennsylvania, Lancaster, Lancaster, Cedar Lawn Cemetery
date, burial, name
date, burial, name
Pennsylvania, Lancaster, Lancaster, Conestoga Memorial Park
date, burial, name
Pennsylvania, Lancaster, Martic Twp., Muddy Run Presbyterian Church
date, burial, name
etc.

I like the report. The only problem, if you want to call it that, is that I have to put the cemetery name in the place field.

#12070 Burial & Cemetery

Posted by vlanders on 05 March 2006 - 06:51 AM in RootsMagic 3

I tried playing around with either adding the Cemetery as a Fact Note, or as the Description in a User-defined Fact, but I couldn't get either to do what I want it to do - which is, list out all people buried in a particular cemetery. The only way I could figure out how to do that was to include the cemetery name in the Place field.

I have the same problem with baptisms. The only way I could get a list of all persons baptised in a particular church, was to include the church name as part of the Place field. (Unless there is another way of getting the report I want which I don't know about.)

I need these two reports for when I go on field trips. If I'm in a town taking pictures of gravestones, I want to know beforehand which ancestor is in which cemetery. Not that I always know who is buried where, but I certainly don't want to waste time searching for an ancestor in one cemetery if my notes indicate he is buried in another. The same with baptisms in churches.

#12008 Using RM to its full capacity

Posted by vlanders on 02 March 2006 - 04:13 AM in RootsMagic 3

I'm not sure if my topic title explains what I'm getting at, but I would like to know how much time and effort others spend, or have spent, modifying their database to take advantage of RM's features.

A few examples:

1. Using family facts. Would there be any advantabe to going back and changing individual facts (eg. Residence) to family facts? For now, I have left the individual facts in the older data, and used family facts for new entries. Yet the perfectionist in me is bothered by this inconsistency in my data.

2. I really like the way Source Wizard works, and I have been going back one-by-one editing my old sources, using Source Wizard to create the new listing. It is a long, tedious process, however. Especially since I had originally entered each census roll as one source, linking several families to the same roll.

3. In my original database, some facts (eg. Occupation) only had one field for "description/location". RM has a field for description and a field for place. Is it worth the time and effort to go back and fill in all the places manually? To data, I have *not* added data to the place field, b/c the place can be found either in the source (in the case of census info) or simply by looking at the Residence fact for the same year. What would be the advantage of having data in the place field? Again, the perfectionist in me is bothered to see that empty place field, when I know I have the data available to fill it in.

I've also been spending a significant amount of time adding "actual text" to sources, linking pictures to sources and places, etc. In fact, I've done very little actual research since purchasing RM - all of my time is spent cleaning up my current database.

I'd like to hear about the experiences of others, and what they think.

#11998 Places - Question about reports

Posted by vlanders on 01 March 2006 - 07:56 AM in RootsMagic 3

I wanted to print out a list of all events occuring in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. The only options I could see were to print out ALL places in my database, or one individual place (such as Martic Twp., Lancaster, PA).

I ended up printing to file, listing ALL places, in reverse place name order. This created an 86-page report, in which all the Lancaster county events were grouped together (individually listed by town, but one after another, if that makes sense). Using the word processor, I then went in and deleted everything above and below the section of the report that had Lancaster county in it.

This really wasn't all that much trouble, and I did end up with exactly what I wanted. I just thought I'd check to see if maybe there isn't something I am missing. Is there another way to do this?

#11906 Where should I add multimedia?

Posted by vlanders on 26 February 2006 - 09:41 AM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(Laura @ Feb 25 2006, 04:24 PM) View Post

You can link one photo in as many places as you want, Individual, Family, Fact, Place and Source if you want to.

For census, tombstone, marriage, etc. photos, I link them to the Fact, Place, and Source.

I especially like to link fact photos to the place as I can go to Reports/Lists/Place List and get a list of photos that I have for a cemetery or census, etc. For instance, I can make a Place List for a cemetery, then make a custom report using a search for the Burial fact for that cemetery, and compare the two to see what other tombstone photos I need to take.

Laura,

Could you explain more about linking photos to a place? I'm not sure what you mean. I know how to link a photo to a Fact, and how to link it to a Source, but not how to link it to a place.

Thanks.

#11904 Digital camera for genealogy

Posted by vlanders on 26 February 2006 - 09:30 AM in RootsMagic 3

Thank you for the replies.

At the moment, I don't have a laptop, but I am considering purchasing one during the upcoming year. If I do, I will definitely look into the HP scanner that Candy mentions.

For the moment, though, I think a digital camera and tripod (good idea, Dennis). And yes, the documents need to be photographed onsite. There is actually a photocopy machine available, but these are very old books in poor condition, and I don't think opening them flat and putting them on a photocopy machine is a very good idea. So, for now, a digital camera.

Thanks again for all the good advise.