barnesy's Content

There have been 5 items by barnesy (Search limited from 08-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#45639 combining databases

Posted by barnesy on 20 August 2011 - 06:50 AM in Discussion

I have just come back from the uk with a gedcom file of my sisters family tree - both of us have a lot of the same information but both have a lot of new things

Is there a way to import the data without doubling up on names and information

I am using Rootsmagic version 4

Many thanks

Lynda :D

#44735 Making a gedcom file

Posted by barnesy on 04 June 2011 - 11:33 PM in Family Origins

:) :) :)

Thank you Alfred, I have used a small memory stick and it worked. Think its time to upgrade my Roots Magic and put Family Origins to rest.

Lynda

#44734 Making a gedcom file

Posted by barnesy on 04 June 2011 - 11:29 PM in Family Origins

Lynda, what's going wrong when you try the import? Are you receiving an error message, or does nothing happen when you attempt it?

I no longer have RM1 loaded, but in RM3, you would choose File > Import > Family Origins database (or File > Import > Family Origins backup). I'm assuming that the process would be similar if not the same in that earlier version.

when I go to file import the only option I have is to import a gedcom file.............which is the problem I have.

#44732 Making a gedcom file

Posted by barnesy on 04 June 2011 - 10:06 PM in Family Origins

Version 8 used the old style file system and when exporting a GEDCOM file it couldn't understand the new file structure of drive over two GB.

If you were to get a small, 2GB or less flash drive, it might work.
It seems that it would export to a CD also, although my memory is a long way from perfect.

Of course, you could upgrade to RootsMagic and import the Family Origins database directly, then export a GEDCOM file from there.

FOW 8 is about 13 years old now and, as you know, 13 is an unlucky number. :rolleyes:

I have Roots Magic version 1 but unable to import the database into it

#44712 Making a gedcom file

Posted by barnesy on 03 June 2011 - 08:48 PM in Family Origins

I have Family Origins v8 which is working great on my windows 7. The only problem I am having is trying to export a gedcom file to take overseas with me. It keeps saying the disc is full even though Im trying to save it to the computer or a stick?
Any suggestions how this can be done?

Lynda