TomH's Content

There have been 122 items by TomH (Search limited from 16-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#99064 Anyone keep database and images on google drive?

Posted by TomH on 22 March 2021 - 10:25 AM in Discussion

I did something between my laptop and a Windows tablet (now broken and gone) some years ago which involved drive mapping and virtual folders, iirc. 

Here's what I did back in 2014... http://forums.rootsm...ablets/?p=63209

#99063 Anyone keep database and images on google drive?

Posted by TomH on 22 March 2021 - 10:17 AM in Discussion

I encountered a problem with maintaining my working database and media on Onedrive so I can access them on two computers in different locations. My media links break on one of the two computers even though I keep everything on the same Onedrive. So - when I fix the media links on one computer, when I go to the other computer, those links are broken because Onedrive is in a different location on each computer (different user in the Onedrive path). Ugh!

Any ideas how I might fix this?

I did something between my laptop and a Windows tablet (now broken and gone) some years ago which involved drive mapping and virtual folders, iirc. I have media files stored in Google Drive but the laptop was the C: drive and on the tablet it was on D:, an SD card because the system drive was only 32GB. With jiggery-pokery, I came up with a way to have a path to Google Drive that was identical on both devices. I don't recall if it was perfectly reliable - RM might have gotten the absolute path when adding a media item on one or the other. But it might be worth investigating.

#99062 Anyone keep database and images on google drive?

Posted by TomH on 22 March 2021 - 10:08 AM in Discussion

Finally, I moved my RM7 database from Dropbox to OneDrive. Again, the experiment was a success. My theory is that Microsoft had to solve this problem for their OneDrive product in 2015 when Visual Studio started using SQLite. Dropbox has not solved the problem and does not acknowledge that there is a problem. I have no experience with other alternatives such as Google Drive, I-Drive, etc.

Thanks for your report on your careful transition and outcomes. Pleased to see your confirmation of my observation from a year ago in #FileSync on #OneDrive looks more promising and your theory as to how this came about sounds plausible. 

#99061 Size of RM database - trivial, just asking

Posted by TomH on 22 March 2021 - 08:24 AM in Discussion

If your criterion is to add only those persons to your database for whom you have found sufficient proof that they are in your family tree, then you should be very proud of its size. The extremes (I have a copy of a database of almost 200k and I've heard of others twice the size using RM) may be due to:

• One-name Study
  • Community database
  • greedy harvesting of online trees with little regard to the evidence

There is a lot of the latter with people claiming royal blood lines. Fun but farcical. After about 6 or 7 generations, you're about as closely related as you are to a random stranger.

#98875 Citation Manager - Sorting Source Names in Order?

Posted by TomH on 10 January 2021 - 03:16 PM in Discussion

Not in RM7. They are in the order entered. I did something with a SQLite script a few years ago. https://sqlitetoolsf...-citation-sort/

#98874 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by TomH on 10 January 2021 - 02:33 PM in Discussion

All my images have now been removed from these Rootsmagic forums 

No, that is false. It is your site vyger.co.uk where you hosted your images that is gone or suspended. The image links in your posts now forward to http://123-reg-suspe...cbe2c9c456661d6

#98836 Duplicate entries for same media

Posted by TomH on 05 January 2021 - 03:12 PM in Issues

The only way I can think of is by using SQLite. You would find the duplicate file pointers in MultiMediaTable, record their MediaIDs, delete one record. Then in the MediaLinkTable, find the records with MediaID matching the deleted one and change those to the remaining MediaID.

Within RM, you would have to manually add tags to the media record you want to keep that duplicate the tags for the one you want to get rid of and then 'Remove media' the latter.

A simple SQLite script can readily identify those media items that have been recorded multiple times.

#98822 RM8 Forum

Posted by TomH on 04 January 2021 - 02:00 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

We removed it because we are not advertising a separate Feedback log. Our concern is people will report on a different system and we will not get the reports we need in our tracking system right now.

Since it is a log of the Feedback submitted to the RM Inc tracking system, it should have no effect on what is submitted. So that should not be a concern.

A helpful enhancement to the RM Inc tracking system would be an ID for the Feedback report sent in the confirmation email to the submitter. That could be entered in our independent Log. If that ID was unique to the issue reported, not just the serial number of the report, it would be even better!

#98727 Question regarding PLACE fields for GEDCOM experts here

Posted by TomH on 28 December 2020 - 02:05 PM in Discussion

For source templates other than the so-called Free Form, RootsMagic uses its own set of custom GEDCOM tags. Free Form uses only the TITL and PAGE tags. When exporting to GEDCOM, RM van export a templated citation to both custom tags and those two standard tags in the same GEDCOM file. For TITL, it exports the sentence generated by the template stripped of all the citation-specific (source details) fields values (and any text dependent thereon); for PAGE it exports the concatenation of all the citation-specific values separated by a semicolon and space character. The result when imported into a program that cannot support RM's customisations can be pretty awful. And there is no way to export to the other standard GEDCOM tags for sources such as PUBL, AUTH,...

#98565 RM8

Posted by TomH on 27 November 2020 - 02:43 PM in Discussion

I thought I saw a post from Bruce, right before Thanksgiving, perhaps on Wednesday, saying RM8 wouldn't be out this year, but linking a longer (30min) video tour so we could all get a better idea about it. I can't find that post on the blog or in the FB group, and I can't find the video on YouTube. Did I imagine this? What happened? Does anyone know?

Maybe that was a year ago?

#98289 TreeShare Icon Needed on Each "Matched" Person in RM

Posted by TomH on 10 October 2020 - 07:37 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

That's an obviously useful enhancement and seemingly easy enough to implement. I just did a crude SQLite query to generate the URLs from a RM database that open the "facts" page for the TreeShare linked person on Ancestry. The URL is of the form:

https://www.ancestry.ca/family-tree/person/tree/treenumber/person/personnumber/facts

The LinkAncestryTable contains the person's RM Record Number and the values of treenumber and personnumber in a string in the extID column.

The query I used parsed extID as it appeared in my database and may not suit all:

SELECT 
  rmID
  , 'https://www.ancestry.ca/family-tree/person/tree/'||SUBSTR(extID,-9)||'/person/'||SUBSTR(extID,1,12) AS URL 
FROM LinkAncestryTable
WHERE LinkType=0;

#98288 Need abbreviated place names in GEDCOM

Posted by TomH on 10 October 2020 - 06:01 PM in Issues

You'd think RM Inc would have found a way to transmit its Abbreviated and Standardised Place Names through GEDCOM, given that is the medium by which its drag'n'drop moves data from one database to another.

#98287 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by TomH on 10 October 2020 - 05:51 PM in Discussion

Facebook is free for RM Inc as it is supported by ads. This forum software is way out of date, costs a fair chunk to upgrade and has a hosting burden that may not be out-of-pocket but is a demand on time for admin.

Have any of you not tried the groups.io successor to the old RootsMagic-Users mailing list? It is independent of RM Inc. https://groups.io/g/RootsMagic-Users/

#98225 RM8 Custom Footnote and Reusable Citations

Posted by TomH on 24 September 2020 - 11:23 AM in Discussion

I think the customizable citation process will duplicate that of the custom event sentence. It, too, needs to have some way to flag those instances which are custom and won't be affected by an edit of the role sentence template for that fact type. And the option to reset all such instances. And maybe reset all such instances within a subset of the database, e.g., a named group or a colour code.

#98223 RM8 Custom Footnote and Reusable Citations

Posted by TomH on 24 September 2020 - 09:11 AM in Discussion

The two new features:

1. Reusable citations
  2. Customised citation sentences

appear to be quite useful developments. They open up possibilities but maybe some traps.

While a customised citation sentence can be reverted to machine-generated from the citation editor, what happens to it if editing is done to the values in the master source and citation fields or in the source template? If the custom override prevents any of that rippling through, is there any warning about the customised citations that were unaffected by those edits?

Another trap may be needing to transfer a number of reuses (instances?) of a given citation to a different (existing or new) citation. Is the only course of action a delete and create anew?

Another observation: I noticed a Name citation (yeay, exposed as promised) but did not see where it was tagged in the Edit Person window. The primary name shows beside the "Person" label just as in RM7, to which "General" citations are tagged.

#98222 What to do when citation URLs change?

Posted by TomH on 24 September 2020 - 08:34 AM in Discussion

But is there a find/replace option within citations? Or out in SQLlite land?

Within RM, the Find Everywhere (sic) tool might give you results with the search term "http" but "Everywhere" is an overstatement. 

SQLite can search more broadly than RM has seen fit to implement, see 

Search – Find Almost Everywhere

#98177 Quickgroups not refreshing

Posted by TomH on 19 September 2020 - 11:20 AM in Issues

I retested Groups to duplicate the DB corruption, monitoring the SQLite GroupTable & LabelTable, and Sidebar display contents.

I confidently agree with TomH there are two distinct s/w problems:
1) When you create 2+ empty groups at once, then populate them afterwards, in the same Manage Groups session, those groups are corrupt, specifically they all share the same list.
Further odd display behavior ensues to confuse a user.
There are likely other combinations with empty groups that cause this problem, I will leave that to RM.
2) The Sidebar display does not refresh after adding a person to a group.

You are to be commended for your thorough testing and reporting. You should be a Beta Tester for RM8 and maybe that would ensure that these two bugs are eliminated in it!

#98174 Quickgroups not refreshing

Posted by TomH on 18 September 2020 - 12:10 PM in Issues

Aren't there two issues being conflated here?

One is the original post about not refreshing as it should, an issue not only for Quick Groups but also for some other areas.

A second one introduced by GJohn is corruption of a group or groups by a certain user procedure. Is this not now known to be caused by creating a group with no members (and possibly by deleting all the members)?

They are separate issues.

#98014 Fixing Source records

Posted by TomH on 24 August 2020 - 09:35 PM in Discussion

Iirc, we have seen indication in the RM8 preview of a reusable citation that can be tagged to multiple facts/events. A parallel is Place and Place Detail - Place is to Master Source as Place Detail is to Source Detail (Citation). 

#98012 Automatic updating of Ancestry using TreeShare

Posted by TomH on 24 August 2020 - 07:50 PM in Discussion

"Sync" is not even in the RM vocabulary except for it being "Sync Certified" by FamilySearch. TreeShare supports copying an entire RM database to a new Ancestry Member Tree or the reverse, an AMT to a new RM database. That pairing of an RM database and an AMT is a TreeShare connection. From that point forward, changes in one can only be manually updated to the other, one person at a time. There is nothing more to it. It is succinctly described in the Help system under "TreeShare for Ancestry" and in various videos.

#98010 Automatic updating of Ancestry using TreeShare

Posted by TomH on 24 August 2020 - 06:34 PM in Discussion

how do you trigger treeshare to auto update from rootsmagic to ancestry?

It seems you have not read or understood the discussion. There is no such capability in RM7.5. And there has been no hint yet of it in the demos of RM8.

#97897 Backup of Images

Posted by TomH on 08 August 2020 - 06:29 PM in Discussion

If you can copy the files to another drive, then the issue cannot be "disc rot"; it has to be that the format is unsupported by the viewing software. Maybe the encoding software produced a supported format but incorrectly. If you post a file to a shared cloud folder and post the link here, maybe one of us can view it successfully.

#97889 Backup of Images

Posted by TomH on 07 August 2020 - 11:47 AM in Discussion

If files became corrupted due to degradation of the medium, the reader should report it as an error. Optical media especially carry a fair bit of overhead for error detection and correction. If a detected error is uncorrectable by the reader, it reports an error.

#97882 Sending a gedcom to an iPad?

Posted by TomH on 06 August 2020 - 11:12 AM in iPad / iPhone / iPod

He will need your .rmgc database file, have DropBox installed on his iPad and an online DropBox account and, optionally, DropBox installed on his computer. Then he has to set up a special folder in the online DropBox where the RM App expects to find the database. You could share or send your .rmgc file on DropBox but he will have to move or copy it to the custom folder. Then when he opens the RM iPad app and it opens DropBox, DB will download the file (if it has not already done so) and he can select it to open.

Could be a frustration getting it all working. Easier for him if you had a website.

#97871 Convert one type of Source to different type

Posted by TomH on 03 August 2020 - 03:09 PM in Discussion

If your Free Form citations have the requisite data for someone to find the source and they read well enough, why change them to the "correct type" templates? In my view, that would be a no-value-added overhead activity.